French People's Favourite monument

Old May 20th, 2022, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French People's Favourite monument

I had heard of the annual vote for the most popular village, and came across this vote for the preferred monument. Each region nominates three which are voted for. After one is selected from each region, there is a vote from those to select the winner.

https://www.francetelevisions.fr/et-...-francais-2915

It was interesting to look at what was selected from each region. We have seen a few, but made me realise there is still plenty we have not seen. Not that I had any doubts there are still plenty of reasons for us to return to France!!! I am not sure if it is an annual thing.

How many have you seen?

Old May 20th, 2022, 08:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
After several years of this program, the monuments proposed are becoming more and more obscure, which is a good thing.
Old May 20th, 2022, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

I did wonder if this had been around for a while. As you said, some obscure places, but nice to see them being recognised. More places to see when travelling around.
Old May 21st, 2022, 12:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As a kid I spent so many hours at the Gare Atlantique in Cherbourg I used to know every corner, the aquarium is super good as well.

le Pont Transbordeur is one of my favorite sites in the world (there are only about 8 or so Transporter Bridges left) and this one starred in a French/American film with a sexy actor (ah my youth)

I drove over the Millau bridge with a friend who was trying to recreate the Scoobie-Doo image of a dog with its head out of a fast car and his mouth open, slightly odd

I had to help Mrs Bilbo past the Piller in Paris after she had one two many from a restaurant

Last edited by bilboburgler; May 21st, 2022 at 01:03 AM.
Old May 21st, 2022, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhon
I did wonder if this had been around for a while. As you said, some obscure places, but nice to see them being recognised. More places to see when travelling around.
This Wikipedia article should give you a lot of ideas then: Le Monument préféré des Français — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)
Old May 21st, 2022, 09:41 AM

Been to a few listed on the Wikipedia page. Fort-la-Latte was fun. Taking DH's "short cut" back to the camper less so. I prefer other alignments more than Carnac, simply because you can wander amongst them at your own pace and without lots of other people or road noise, and that includes the ones up the road near Erdeven. I know you can wander among the Carnac stones for free, without a guide, in winter, but I haven't been to Brittany in winter.

Some of the others we made an effort to see, some like Millau were more by accident than design.
But I admit to not being too bothered about churches and Chateaux and cities. Place Stanislas was OK, but it was a stinking hot day and incredibly busy there so we moved on asap.

I am clearly a cultural heathen as well as a religious one.