Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France trip 16 days for my daughter/husband

Old May 15th, 2022, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to help plan a trip this September for France for 16 days, I think it’s too short to add Italy. She spent 1 year in Paris when she was in high school but didn’t travel much then. She has been all thru France bout she was too young to remember now, so it’s time for her/husband to make their own memories together

they want to stay in Paris for about 6 days, maybe a short day trip to giverney or somewhere else, then another area for the balance. Two options are head to Nice, then see some hill towns(st Paul devence, Eze)
and then head to Aix and day trips from there??
other option is to head towards another area and do day trips from there, like Lake Annecy in the east or st Jean de Luz and St Sebastian in east

yourcomments would be greatly appreciated
PS: they are in early 30,s so still full of energy
Old May 15th, 2022, 03:12 PM

Plenty to do in Paris...I trained to Giverny and Bayeux. Hub and I either trained or took tours to Versailles, Loire Valley Chateaux, and Bruges. Another great city is Lyon...lots to see and eat! Check online for easy trips from there... we had to cut short our visit so I can't help with first-hand hints.

What are their interests?
Old May 15th, 2022, 04:35 PM

Another thought given that it will be September would be to break it between Paris and Bordeaux. It is only 2 hours by TGV now and Bordeaux is a city where it is super easy to get around without a car, which is an advantage. And they have tours out to the wine areas near St. Emillion which we fondly dubbed the drunk bus And September is usually a lovely time of year there with the vendage season.
Old May 16th, 2022, 02:39 PM

Ten days in the south with Nice as HQ seems like a long time. I would cut that in half and add a third area. I like jpie's suggestion of Bordeaux and St.Emillion, and maybe into the Dordonge. Or you might think about Alsace and the Route du Vin instead. Depends on their interests and logistics.
Old May 16th, 2022, 11:00 PM

Some of the Bordeaux wine Chateaux offer very reasonable room rates (e100 a night) in stunning settings. The coast around Bordeaux is also well worth a visit - little like Cape Cod with some of the best seafood in the world.

Bordeaux has enjoyed a huge economic boom over the past 10 years with huge amounts of money flowing in following the development of its wine branding and also the TGV link with Paris. It’s a city that still hasn’t been noticeably mobbed by world toursim (yet).

The benefit in terms of weather is that we rarely have the heat which seems to afflict Provence - anything above 35oC is quite unusual - inland areas of Provence were hitting 50oC last summer.
Old May 16th, 2022, 11:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why is Nice suddenly a target for Americans these days, was there a magaine article. I visit France annually for the last 45 years and I only went to Nice for the first time after the lorry bombing. My view, "meh". There are so so many nicer places around the country.

Alsace, Loire, Bordeaux, Languedoc, Jura, Burgundy north and south all wonderful.
Old May 17th, 2022, 05:38 AM

I am surprised that anyone who spent a year in Paris can't look into all this for themselves.... I also am not a fan of Nice, but I am a big fan of Provence and the Cote d'Azur and could easily spend all my time there.

I spent a lot of time in Giverny one day trying to recreate the photos of Jacques Lartigue, but otherwise I always think it's too small a site to bother going, unless you combine it with La Roche Guyon, plus there is a nearby troglodyte church. Might be nice via bicycle.
Old May 18th, 2022, 04:48 AM

I didn't want to throw a wet blanket on anything, as poster seemed interested in Nice, but I'm not wild about it either. My pocket was picked there getting on a bus and my wallet stolen. I was doing everything right except paying attention and the guy was very slick. That experience kind of left a bad taste about the place.
Old May 18th, 2022, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

One year in Paris at age 15-16 does not make you a travel expert, especially when you are on your own just going to the Sorbonne each day.

After travelling around the world for 50+ years, the best travel i ever received was from a VERY kind woman on this forum about 25 years ago, that recommeded the Grand Hotel at St Jean de Luz, ( was it St. Cirq ??)and various places to visit in Basque country/Spain. One of the best family trips we can remember., so dont discount the advice you can get from great posters.

I disagree about Nice, I spent over a month in Nice, at a wonderful rental in the Old Villa of Queen Victoria in Cimiez, I think its the best anchor spot, in which to vist parts of Italy and all along the French south coast. Also home to one of my favorite restaurants: Le Merende, where I spent every lunch I could! (Don't know if its still there) 25 years later, the kids still have very fond memories.
Old May 18th, 2022, 02:02 PM

It's a good thing, you didn't ask about Venice, Intex! 😇 Then you'd get more than 'meh'.

DH and I enjoyed Nice as well as Menton
Old May 21st, 2022, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichGuy
I didn't want to throw a wet blanket on anything, as poster seemed interested in Nice, but I'm not wild about it either. My pocket was picked there getting on a bus and my wallet stolen. I was doing everything right except paying attention and the guy was very slick. That experience kind of left a bad taste about the place.
Sorry about that, but it happens everywhere, not just Nice. I had my luggage and computer stolen off a train on my way to Cologne last trip, and the Police station (AT the Train station) said it happens all the time.Kids make a mess right before they disembark, you're distracted, they take luggage from the luggage racks and escape.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 04:20 AM

I know it can happen anywhere. I also had a briefcase stolen at the airport in Bogota, Colombia. Very nice leather case, my camera and work papers were in it. We were in a group with a lot of meeting and greeting, and a taxi driver stole it from right behind my legs. Gives you a bad vibe wherever it happens.