Flying to and in the EU in Corona times

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2020, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Guardian has published the EU safety rules for flying to, from and within the EU, when and if things open up that far.
I hope you like your facemasks, and carry plenty of them for your Transatlantic flights.
You won't catch me anywhere near a plane or an airport for a long time. I think you would have to be truly desperate to travel to go through all this.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rus-guidelines
Old May 21st, 2020, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. These are guidelines and not laws with fines, arrest, etc., so most of the precautions depend on the common sense and willful compliance of passengers. Once passengers are on the plane, the airlines don't have much enforcement power. In the U.S., masks have become a battlefield in the culture wars, so I wouldn't assume that just because there is a rule to wear masks that everyone on the plane will do so.

I hope this article from the Los Angeles Times is accessible. It talks about how the airlines will employ diplomacy to enforce safety policies. Good luck with that.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ment-on-planes
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
It is an improvement.

More personal space, masks limiting silly small talk, the end of carry-on hogs claiming six overhead bins, the end of the coughing and sneezing, the end of complaints by special people about special meals not being special enough.

Not having to follow a Federal law allows the airline to rip up tickets and ban for life.

I am looking forward to travelling again.
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With fewer people on board, prices will rise.
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:27 AM

No way I am getting on a train or a plane anytime in the near future. Rules are fine, until they're not followed, and you can bet there will be people who won't follow them. I've been lucky enough to travel all over the world like a fool for decades. Now I'm going to enjoy being where I am and let others take the risks. There's plenty of interesting stuff happening a kilometer down the lane here.
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:45 AM

My son is flying to New York on Monday. I'll let you know how it went.
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:02 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand the respiratory etiquette about not covering up when sneezing. If one is wearing a mask that shouldn't be a problem I would think. Maybe that is for people who can't wear a mask? My only concern is what about people who can't wear a mask for a good reason? If they have a dr note should it be displayed? I can just these poor people being harassed. I just know my nose runs a lot when I wear a mask. I also don't know how many mask would be needed. If the plane ride is 8 hrs back and forth then the time at the destination than I think is a lot of clean masks needed.

I always thought all the areas involved when traveling weren't very clean so I'm actually ok with a lot if this. I always ended up sick when I returned home. My last trip in March, I didn't get sick and actually enjoyed the plane ride.
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:41 AM

I will also be waiting. The restrictions, albeit necessary, do not make me want to go anywhere by plane anytime soon.
Old May 21st, 2020, 01:15 PM

I can't see my children without somebody flying. So I'll have to suck it up. I'm sure we'll see each other less frequently, because I'm pretty sure it will get more expensive.
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:35 PM

I can't get enough air with a mask. I wear for about 15 minutes to run into a store. No way could I manage an overseas flight with one. The most I could handle is a two hour flight and I'd have to use the lavatory multiple times to get to breathe (not that that air smells so good). I think I just have small lung capacity tho no underlying conditions but did have asthma as a child.
Old May 24th, 2020, 05:20 AM

I don't know what medical condition would mean you can't wear a mask, have never heard of such a thing. I have a friend with a seriously compromised immune system and she wears a mask on flights all the time, before this, for flights about 7 hrs long. I don't think I could do that, I get claustrophic so will avoid such long trips for a while. I can barely stand to wear one for 20 minutes while shopping. My friend said it takes practice to get used to it and breathe right. Maybe, the mask itself makes me cough though. The problem is people are idiots, there are tons in the US all over the place, just look at the news, and while it seems worse here, you can see such things in Europe, also. So a lot of people aren't going to wear them. And if an airline doesn't require it, but promotes, it, you know what will happen. I feel really really sick about what is happening in the US with pushback on this, it makes me sick about the poor workers who have to enforce this and get hurt or killed (I think that happened in the US< shocking).

On the bright side, I read an article that said airplanes are probably safer than a lot of similar sized place you might be for that long as their air circulation systems meet CDC guidelines for a COVID19 hospital unit, at least in the US. Probably safer than a train actually, in that regard. Both would depend on how crowded it was, though.

exoert opinion on this
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...u-sick-really/
Old May 24th, 2020, 11:15 AM

My son flew from Zürich to Newark today. There were very few people at the airport and most shops and some terminals were closed. About 10-20% were wearing masks. The plane was flying at about 25% capacity and passengers are required to wear masks. I'll find out later if masks were worn during the whole flight.
Old May 24th, 2020, 04:07 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
There are people who cannot wear a mask due to medical problems. These people probably shouldn't be out and about to begin with but COPD and severe asthma are just some conditions. It wouldn't be everyone and would hope someone with a valid wouldn't be harassed. I just know from experience that some people feel it is their right to harass people who they think are offenders.

I just think it would be ok to take off if needing to eat or drink. On long haul flights it is recommended to stay hydrated.
Old May 25th, 2020, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by kleeblatt
My son flew from Zürich to Newark today. There were very few people at the airport and most shops and some terminals were closed. About 10-20% were wearing masks. The plane was flying at about 25% capacity and passengers are required to wear masks. I'll find out later if masks were worn during the whole flight.
He arrived in Newark without any problems. This goes to prove flying is possible (and people are doing it!) under the right circumstances.