Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finessing Portugal. Let's talk about food

Old Mar 9th, 2022, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally getting around to finessing our three week trip to Portugal for later in the month. I've done my due diligence with sights, and now it's on to food.

I think I have a good handle on Porto (more options than time) and Evora, but I could use some help with Coimbra - only have Praça da República on the list.

And Pinhao - have booked tapas and wine tasting at Quinta de la Rossa, but could use a few more options for our three night stay.

Have contacted Quinta Bomfim about their picnic lunches (is the 35 Euro picnic for one or two and can we book the lunch without also booking a wine tasting - the lunch includes a bottle of wine and a port tasting, so the added tasting might be overkill). No response from them despite my two emails.

And Sintra (although I see they have eight Indian restaurants, so we might be in Indian food heaven!)

And Lisbon - not a thing on the list yet

We're not into fancy meals. Prefer humble and laid back. Would prefer not to book if possible. One of us is very picky (that would be me). No eggs, fish, or red meat for me. But I adore chocolate!
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal without eggs or fish/seafood would be tough for me.

I did go to the food court on the 7th floor of El Corte Ingles Department store, which was across the street from my last night's lodging, but there are other versions of the upscale food court around (Time Out etc).

I probably would just Google Vegan food in Lisbon if I had those restrictions, LOL.

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/v...-guide-lisbon/

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 9th, 2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Vegan food, oh dear. That can't be good. Might be eating cake for dinner Eggs are fine as hidden ingredients, but I just can't abide them as a dish or main ingredient. In other words, I don't want to know they're there.

Wondering if the infamous Pastéis de nata is gonna fly. I'll give it a go.

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 9th, 2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 12:13 PM

Mel,
They do make a vegan version of pastéis de nata but you might try the original version and really like them. I mentioned where to get that vegan version on another thread as well as where to buy divine chocolates.
As for the Bomfim picnic, just ask the Vintage House to confirm it for you.

Portugal without fish and eggs is tough. There’s a nice vegetarian restaurant in Lisbon, Terra.
And on scrb11’s thread I mentioned in the Piri piri chicken, everybody’s favorite at Bomjardin in Lisbon. Do you eat chicken?
Portugal produces wonderful cheeses like the Serra da Estrela that we’re having tomorrow.

Last edited by Maribel; Mar 9th, 2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Maribel -

Yes, I have that info on vegan version of pastéis de nata, but I'll give the real thing a go. And I have a very long list of chocolate shops. I'm certainly not above eating chocolate cake for dinner.

I do eat chicken, have made a note.

Are you in Portugal now?
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 02:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We picked up a chicken to go from Bomjardin the day we arrived, delicious. They had a take out window.
We loved the food in Portugal as they serve lots of seafood. Pasteis de Nata beat chocolate by a mile.
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 05:05 PM

Hi Mel,
I’m in Madrid now heading to Lisbon tomorrow,yeah!

Everybody loves the frango piri piri at Bomjardin on Travessa São Antão. You can’t miss it. It’s across the street from Restaurant Row in Baixa. In the Time Out Market in Cais do Sodré there will be stands where I’m fairly sure you can find something you’ll enjoy.
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 06:09 PM

Does no fish mean no seafood?
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 10:04 PM

There is always pizza. And Lisbon has some great pizzerias.
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 10:24 PM

You might find some interesting food options in Lisbon on Spotted by Locals:
https://www.spottedbylocals.com/lisbon/all-articles/

they have a page for Porto too, but sounds like you’ve got that covered.

In the Douro valley, Quinta do Infantado does a vegetarian pairing menu with their Ports. I’m not sure they would do it for two people, but it can’t hurt to ask, if you are interested.

https://quintadoinfantado.com/en/
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 11:26 PM

We liked this place in Coimbra for our fix of a roast pork sandwich.

https://flic.kr/p/2gxvfdZ
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 04:57 AM

food was not the high point of our trip to Portugal, but it was the location of our very first Michilin star restaurant - Eleven - in Lisboa, gorgeous view, amazing food. I hope it is still open. I also remember a small plates place in one of the small streets, but sorry - can't remember the name. Enjoy your trip
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shelemm
Does no fish mean no seafood?
Yes

Not much of a pork eater either.

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 10th, 2022 at 06:23 AM.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 07:17 AM

Another vote here for the piri piri chicken at Bom Jardin! I also liked Cantinho de Avillez, and for a casual lunch Pois Cafe.

I loved the chocolate cake from Nois e Mais Bolos in the Time Out market and liked the famous chocolate cake at Landau.

I'm not a big meat eater either (and I don't do any seafood), and I was surprised at both the number and quality of vegetarian restaurants in Portugal. If you happen to be in Cascais, Cafe Galeria House of Wonders is a fantastic vegetarian restaurant.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you memejs!
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 08:26 AM

I don't really care for eggs but will occasionally eat them. PLEASE, try the pastéis de nata, they're absolutely wonderful. I'm going to LIsbon next month and can't wait to eat them several times a day.

Looking forward to the restaurant suggestions - thanks for asking. We were in Portugal in 2019. I'll look up the name of a place where we had lunch in Sintra and a nearby bakery and post when I find the info.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks wtm. And I promise I'll try the pastéis de nata
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Thanks wtm. And I promise I'll try the pastéis de nata
Mel,

Do try the pasteis. I think you'll like them. We had our first this morning when we checked into our Lisbon hotel. When we arrived they offered us coffee and pasteis. I've vowed only to eat one a day!. Unfortunately they're on the breakfast buffet and the afternoon tea buffet every day, along with unlimited port! We'll need to show great restraint.

We also had a terrific cheese platter around the corner from our hotel at JNCQUIO at its Deli Bar downstairs--a Serra da Estrela, an Azeitao and a Serpa paired with a sweet pumpkin marmalade and a great dessert, a spongecake, pao de lo de ovar.

Speaking of cheese, there's a great cheese shop, a "queijaria", Fromagerie Maitre Renard in the nice Campo do Ourique neighborhood, near the market if you find yourselves wandering in this trendy and cute area, and Manteigaria in Baixa off Rossio square on Rua Dom Antão de Almada.

The vegetarian friendly restaurant daTerra in Principe Real that I mentioned above is temporarily closed while they look for another home.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 11:23 AM

I am a litlle bit surprised noone speacks about the soups in Portugal!
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 11:34 AM

I’m following along - May is coming closer!

HelenFatima, we love soups! Please tell!

Maribel, yay! Happy travels! I can only imagine how good it is to get back to Portugal!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -