Search

Driving Val D'orcia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2022, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Val D'orcia

Hi fellow travelers,

I will be (attempting to) drive from Siena around thru the Val D'orcia in late May/early June. A couple of questions:
1) I know I need to get an international drivers' license to drive in Italy. It doesn't seem like I need other "documentation." Am I missing anything?
2) Any good recommendations for a good rental company that might have automatics? (My friend cannot drive a manual) I see there is a Hertz in Siena.
3)I know that several of this group's travelers have posted "driving tours in Val D'orcia" reports, but for the life of me I cannot figure out where they are. I've searched .... any thoughts on how to find those?
4) Are there any places in VD that you absolutely would not miss? AND lastly, any recommendations on where to stop overnight (it's a 2 day driving tour!
As always, many thanks to you. You are my best travel resource! Susan
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SusanG
Hi fellow travelers,

I will be (attempting to) drive from Siena around thru the Val D'orcia in late May/early June. A couple of questions:
1) I know I need to get an international drivers' license to drive in Italy. It doesn't seem like I need other "documentation." Am I missing anything?
2) Any good recommendations for a good rental company that might have automatics? (My friend cannot drive a manual) I see there is a Hertz in Siena.
3)I know that several of this group's travelers have posted "driving tours in Val D'orcia" reports, but for the life of me I cannot figure out where they are. I've searched .... any thoughts on how to find those?
4) Are there any places in VD that you absolutely would not miss? AND lastly, any recommendations on where to stop overnight (it's a 2 day driving tour!
As always, many thanks to you. You are my best travel resource! Susan
1. Whatever Covid vaccine certs that are necessary then
2. autoeurope.com or kemwel.com (they are really the same company)
3. See attached Italy Itinerary - with several driving trips through the Val d'Orcia
4. In my itinerary

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Italy-revised.doc (167.0 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by StuDudley; Feb 19th, 2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
More info, please... Where are you starting from? Siena? Where are you ending?

It's an International Drivers Permit, not a license. And, yes, it's required, but you may never be asked to present it unless you get into an accident. The car rental company may ask to see it or just shrug their shoulders if you offer it up without being asked.

An auto trans car might be confirmed in your reservation but not be available when you arrive. The best chance is at an airport where there are more cars on site.

Many people here book car rentals through Autoeurope.com. I don't think they represent Hertz in Italy anymore, and although I've booked directly with Hertz on many trips, I don't think they would be my first choice these days. Too many complaints about unwarranted fees and generally poor customer service, which could be a problem mostly in the U.S. but I wouldn't want to test the theory myself.

StuDudley has created some driving tours, but if it's only two days I'd just decide on the towns/destinations that appeal to you and search driving routes on maps.google.com. You don't have time to do much meandering, esp. if you're picking up the car the morning of the first day and want to return it at the end of the second day.

You need to learn about ZTLs (zona traffico limitato) which are areas in nearly every town that you can't drive into. Park outside the towns and walk in/out. If you book lodging inside a town's ZTL, they will give you instructions for driving into the zone.

https://www.italyperfect.com/blog/th...-in-italy.html

For lodging suggestions, it would help to know which specific towns you want to visit, the type of lodging (B&B in town, agriturismo or borgo, etc.) and a budget. If it's only one night, the location is probably more important than the type.

Something I usually recommend is Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore... a monastery about halfway between Siena and Pienza. But with so little time, you might put a low priority on this. Your call, although we found it interesting, beautiful and serene. It's closed for a few hours in the middle of the day, so it can be tricky to arrive at a good time.

https://www.monte-oliveto.com/
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Stu! Thank you so much for writing. One of the posts I pulled up in my search for Val D'orica mentioned your trip report/driving trip. I tried to find it but couldn't. Many thanks to you. Susan
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Jean, thank you for all of this info, e.g. Autoeurope! I have been traveling to Italy for over 20 years, and did one "tour"(with a company) through the VD. BUT I have never driven and never had a chance to spend time there. I definitely need to read about ZTLs.

Departing and returning to Siena. Departing on a Mon morning, returning to Siena on Wednesday. It's almost 3 full days. I will visit places like Montalcino and Montepulciano, San Quirico. Also I have never seen San Gimignano, so will fit that in.

I am eager to find the special sites that I've never been to like La Foce. I looked up the Abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore - STUNNING. Thank you for that. I have no real budget, hope to stay either in a B&B in town or outside a town in a place somewhere with gorgeous views. Love history and art, and mostly just want to relax and wander and take in the beauty of the area.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 06:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer to stay in Montalcino and I like Buonconvento (just down from the Abbey) but the views from Pienza edge are to die for, especially in the evening. It tends to get a fair few American tourists in high summer but the people of the town handle the traffic well and the views are worthwhile.

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Bilboburgler! I have not been to Buonconvento....I love Pienza. Also just looked at a map and (obviously) no way am I getting to San Gimi.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 07:55 AM

I love Montepulciano. It's the farthest east of the usual Val d'Orcia destinations, and the drive between Montepulciano and Montalcino takes about an hour. But Montepulciano is close to La Foce and Monticchiello The view from our favorite Montepulciano lodging includes a sliver of Lake Trasimeno in the distance.

https://www.locandasanfrancesco.it/

If possible, rent the car the night before you leave Siena. If you stay at Palazzo Ravizza in Siena, you can park for free and make a pretty quick departure in the morning. If you're returning the car on Wednesday, make sure you know when the rental office closes... which prompts the question of where you're going after you return the car. If you're going south after the Val d'Orcia tour, you could return the car at Chiusi.

https://www.palazzoravizza.com/

Yes, San Gimignano would be too much driving in the "wrong" direction. It would be better included in a tour of Chianti.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chiusi is worth an hour or two, the old town is pretty small but they have an Etruscan Museum that, to my simple tastes, is inspiring. It also has Greek and Roman stuff.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your additional comments. Jean, that lodging in Montepulciano is so gorgeous! Thank you. If I can make that work I will. Re: Palazzo Ravizza, I wish! I got my hotel there with miles. Nothing so fabulous. I will however, contact them and see if they have parking. Thanks also for the tips on picking up the night before, and return hours for the rental. Bilboburgler, I had not heard of Chiusi, thanks for that.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 07:47 AM

""I had not heard of Chiusi, thanks for that. ""

Chiusi is also where you can pick-up/return a car and take the train to Rome or Florence.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 08:11 AM

Chiusi is interesting, but in a tight itinerary I wouldn't choose time there over time seeing more/other places in the Val d'Orcia. However, it can be very convenient depending on your next destination. If you do want to visit the Etruscan Museum or wander the town, I'd do that before returning the car and park in a 'safe' place with all of your stuff out of view.

SusanG, which hotel in Siena? There are a few public parking lots around the perimeter of the city.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jean, good morning. There were only 3 hotels available in Siena on my American Advantage points. I picked the Grand Hotel Continental which is in the main downtown area of Siena. Now I am realizing that OF COURSE there will be a ZTL (my newest term) in Siena and we are probably smack in the middle of it. It's right near a Stow Your Luggage place. This is a 2 week trip and my friend Patricia and I planned to get to Siena at noon, pick up the rental car, stow the luggage and hopefully get to the Duomo before leaving the next day for the Val D'Orcia. We didn't want to lug our suitcases to the VD, worried about theft. Your suggestions very welcome! Susan
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 07:27 AM

"We didn't want to lug our suitcases to the VD, worried about theft."

Not sure I understand this part... Are you leaving some luggage at the Siena hotel or the Stow Your Luggage place while you drive around the Val d'Orcia? FWIW, we've "lugged" our suitcases to the Val d'Orcia. As long as nothing is visible (including obvious I'm-a-tourist things like guidebooks, maps), everything is in the trunk, and you park in the commonly-used public lots while you walk around different towns, I think the risk of theft is low. Don't leave anything in the car overnight. If you leave your luggage in Siena, you'll have to "waste" time retrieving it unless you were returning for more nights there.

Anyhoo... Where are you coming from before Siena and where are you going after the Val d'Orcia? Knowing the rest of your plan might prompt other suggestions.

Make sure you know the Siena car rental hours. Most offices outside of airports and big cities are usually closed for a couple of hours in the middle of the day.