Driving in Northern Greece-zagoria villages

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some advice re the inaccessibility of the Zagorian villages by public transport I am now, contrary to earlier intentions, planning to apply for an international drivers license. How have others who have had to cope with the right hand driving after left hand as we are in Australia coped with this? Are there any taxi or local small tour options in this area-and I don't mean the walk all day village to village ones-not in July's heat thanks!
Any hints re getting a good detailed local map? I have purchased the Michelin 737 Greek map and it gives reasonable detail. What I'd really really like is some pages from a Northern Greek Epirus travel directory of local towns. Does such a thing exist-surely the local folk need them? Any suggestions how I might access such a directory-either before leaving or after we arrive??
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I'm sure you will have no problems driving in Zagoria and it's the best way to see the area at your own pace. We did a fly/drive that included 3 nights in Zagoria from the UK last September/October, so we too normally drive on the left. The roads can be narrow and winding in places but traffic in Zagoria itself was pretty light.

As for maps, for general driving we used the Road Editions 1:250,000 map of Epirus Thessaly which also has a town plan of Ioannina. For Zagoria the more detailed Anavasi Zagori map at 1:50,000 was invaluable. You should be able to buy these online.

My trip report, which includes our stay in Zagoria (we also visited Delphi, Meteora and Lefada) is on here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-lefkada.cfm

It is a fantastic area and a beautiful part of Greece. I hope you have a great trip!
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Are you sure you need an international driver's license? I've hired a car several times in Greece without one.

Steve