Day Trip to Amalfi Coast

Old May 17th, 2022, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip to Amalfi Coast

Looking for recommendations for day trips to the Amalfi Coast. Tour company? Private driver?

It will be 4 of us: my wife and I and our 14/17 year old daughters based out of Naples.

We want to sample the views and see what everyone talks about with the beauty. We know we need to come back and spend a week there, but we have one day on this trip, June 22nd. Hoping to not break the bank in the process on our last day of our 2 week Europe trip.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take the Circumvesuviana (commuter rail) to Sorrento and then a bus or boat. Or skip the coast and take the ferry to Capri for this trip.
Old May 17th, 2022, 11:21 AM

I also would take a ferry. Views from the water are beautiful. Roads can be very crowded and you would be in a car with windows up for air conditioning or with windows open, breathing fumes from heavy traffic, a most unpleasant way to try and enjoy the AC.

Naples to Capri is not a bad day trip.

All the way to Salerno and return is a very long day requiring multiple ferries and train, but at least you could actually see some of the AC.

Questions. I vaguely remember your trip, but where are you coming from to Naples and where are you going after Naples? Exactly what time will you be arriving and departing? Will you be arriving in Naples by plane, train or ferry? These questions are to determine if there might be a better option than a day trip from Naples.
Old May 17th, 2022, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
I would take the Circumvesuviana (commuter rail) to Sorrento and then a bus or boat. Or skip the coast and take the ferry to Capri for this trip.
We were in Naples two weeks back and took the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii and back. We were packed in like sardines all the way, though a bit of the crowd got off at Ercolano. This was May 2, so you can imagine how it would be in June.

We were in Atrani near Amalfi before Naples and there again the buses and ferries were full, it was busy even early in the season. But I agree with thursdaysd, the views from the water are stunning.

IMO you might want to take the ferry from Naples to Capri for a day trip. Expect crowds everywhere, but you’ll still get the water views, with a shorter travel time.

Old May 17th, 2022, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass

Questions. I vaguely remember your trip, but where are you coming from to Naples and where are you going after Naples? Exactly what time will you be arriving and departing? Will you be arriving in Naples by plane, train or ferry? These questions are to determine if there might be a better option than a day trip from Naples.

Naples is our last stop after London, Paris, and Rome. We'll be taking the train from Rome to Naples on June 22nd in the morning. Going straight down to an afternoon tour at Pompeii, then back to Naples for dinner and our VRBO that night.

We'll have all day on June 23rd for this experience. Then we fly home on the 24th.

Old May 18th, 2022, 06:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Train to Sorrento, bus to Amalfi Coast, not far from Sorrento. Another bus up to Ravello. Bus between Amalfi andPositano, took ferry back .
Old May 18th, 2022, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbowen9449
Looking for recommendations for day trips to the Amalfi Coast. Tour company? Private driver?

It will be 4 of us: my wife and I and our 14/17 year old daughters based out of Naples.

We want to sample the views and see what everyone talks about with the beauty. We know we need to come back and spend a week there, but we have one day on this trip, June 22nd. Hoping to not break the bank in the process on our last day of our 2 week Europe trip.

Thanks in advance.
IMO, private driver is the only way to do it well in 1 day. You'll spend 1/2 the day waiting in lines or crowded on mass transit otherwise.
A.C.S. Americo Car Service

One of our best vacation days of all time!

Last edited by alandavid; May 18th, 2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old May 18th, 2022, 01:36 PM

OK, I see you are locked into lodging in Naples, so I will let others with experience of doing this from Naples give their advice.
Old May 18th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alandavid
IMO, private driver is the only way to do it well in 1 day. You'll spend 1/2 the day waiting in lines or crowded on mass transit otherwise.
A.C.S. Americo Car Service

One of our best vacation days of all time!
Thank you! I see that you recommended them to me before in my previous thread. I have sent them a message. I hope they are able to take us out. Even though I know it will be very crowded, it would be an amazing area to finish our 2 weeks in Europe.