Data/Wifi in Europe

Search

Data/Wifi in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2022, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Data/Wifi in Europe

So I'm wondering what would be the best option for data when i get to Europe. Should i buy a sim card for my phone? A mobile router device that i can carry around and connect to? I've done the former in a few asian countries, the latter in japan. Of course i could forgo mobile data altogether and just wait until I'm in wifi spots. I just don't know how much i'll want to use my phone and be connected. I dont need to call or text, I'm only concerned with data, eg messaging, posting pictures, ect.
And will one option work for travelling all of europe? i assume not. So would i have to get something new every time i move on to a different country?
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 11:24 PM

Hi Miacharlie, you have a couple of options. It would probably be more cost effective to get a local SIM from a European provider. You can use them everywhere within the EU as the roaming is capped there. In the past I have used Lebara, which has the option of English-speaking operators. There is Lebara just about worldwide now, but you probably want to get a SIM sent on to you from one of the European websites. However, nowadays I use Vodafone international roaming which is $5 a day (I live in Australia, I think you do also, from another post?, and Vodafone is my normal carrier). You only pay the $5 surcharge on days you use your phone, and you can still take incoming calls for free. Then you can just use your phone normally on that day as you would at home, and if you are near a wifi hotspot, I think you can use that instead (you might just check this last point). You have probably gathered that I don't use my phone much when in Europe, just ringing the occasional hotel and keeping in touch with my husband if we are apart, so if you plan to use the phone a lot then I would just opt for the local SIM version. Also - Australia Post used to carry Travel SIM, which is an international roaming solution (last I heard, it had a UK phone number). It is probably very convenient but quite expensive compared to the local SIM.

You could possibly get a SIM at a mobile telephony shop at the airport wherever you are going, if working ahead cramps your style. Check also that your current provider has not locked your phone to their SIM, otherwise you can get a cheap unlocked phone just about anywhere, including Australia Post or a mobile phone shop.

Someone reading this might have a more up-to-date experience of roaming in Europe but I think this is pretty current, or at least a good starting point for you.

Lavandula
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 11:36 PM

Don't go with a UK based company - now they are out of the EU some British telecoms companies have reintroduced roaming charges.
The main problem with a local sim is if you need to reload it when in another country, as most then require an EU bank account. Try to load it in it's home country, and use free WiFi as much as possible. For navigation download the maps to your phone when on WiFi, rather than using PAYG data.
All have fair use policies on data roaming in other countries.
Plenty of places offer free WiFi, supermarkets, McD's, cafés, hotels etc.
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 11:39 PM

I think with Lebara you can use a credit card to top up, and you can just do it over the phone with an operator. Look into them, they were very cheap (like 1c a call to almost everywhere).

Lavandula
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 11:53 PM

Where'll you land in Europe? Where'll you visit?

Data in general are very affordable compared with North America.

Pay as you go plans in the Nordics tend to be very generous. While they have higher cost of living, mobile data is an exception.

If you land in one of the Nordic countries, do grab their sim which can cover the rest of European Economic area countries.

Some UK MVNO operators such as Lyca and Lebara still offer free roaming in Eu/EEA. But the leading operators are indeed imposing surcharge on roaming in EU such as O2, Three.

Old Feb 18th, 2022, 12:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It also depends a bit on what you are calling Europe. There are around 50 countries in Europe of which only 27 have data roaming prices fixed though other countries sometimes get read across (so Vatican is treated as part of Italy.

So where are you going?
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 01:36 AM

Pretty sure the Australia Post TravelSIM is no longer available (closed within the last 12months I think) but they may well market an alternative now. It was perhaps more expensive but it was also super convenient and I was sorry to see it finish. Definitely the best of the international SIMs I've used.

I think you should focus on the products on offer in the country of your arrival (or buy an international one prior to departure). Presumably you'll need it soon after arrival.
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 02:09 AM

Where are you starting?

How long?

How much data and voice do you need?

All of Europe? Or is that all of the EU? Or is that all of the major countries. Europe is bigger than it looks.
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MIACHARLIE
So I'm wondering what would be the best option for data when i get to Europe. Should i buy a sim card for my phone? A mobile router device that i can carry around and connect to? I've done the former in a few asian countries, the latter in japan. Of course i could forgo mobile data altogether and just wait until I'm in wifi spots. I just don't know how much i'll want to use my phone and be connected. I dont need to call or text, I'm only concerned with data, eg messaging, posting pictures, ect.
And will one option work for travelling all of europe? i assume not. So would i have to get something new every time i move on to a different country?
If you have Verizon, the TravelPass is just so easy.!
Flat $10/day and you can use your phone/data just like you were back home!
Just enable it before leaving and you don't need to do anything to activate while traveling. You get a text message when it kicks in/expires.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 01:34 AM

For reference, Three UK is currently charging £10 a month for 10GB, which also covers roaming in USA.

£35 for unlimited data. They include 5G connection.

https://www.three.co.uk/payg-data-packs