Search

Covid Testing to Enter France from US

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2022, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Covid Testing to Enter France from US

Hi all...

We're going to Paris in May, so things will likely change. Never-the-less, an answer to this will help/scare/comfort me:

We have our two shots plus booster, all registered on our passe Sanitaire accounts and AntiCovid phone apps.

What kind of testing is required to get through passport control. I have read you need results 24-48 hours before entry. There are no BinaxNow (<1hr) locations near us
The IDNow takes up to 24 hrs. If we got it first thing (9 am) the day of the flight, the results -- even if sent by email -- might not get to us by the time our plane lands the next day at noon (6 am US time).

ssander

Any advice?

Thanks
ssander
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 10:08 AM

They will check your negative Covid test & perhaps your proof of vaccination at the departing US airport. Get the test on the day before departure. No airport personnel in France will want to see your Passe Sanitaire or vaccination creds. At lease, these were the rules in December when we were there.

On the return, also get an antige test the day before departure.

Stu Dudley

Old Jan 29th, 2022, 10:42 AM

I don't know where you are getting your info, the French official govt websites are pretty clear. The US is now a red country.

It isn't that you need results 48 hrs before departure, you need to have TAKEN the test LESS than 48 HRS before departure, IF you are vaccinated. The 24 hr rule is for unvaccinated if allowed in for some reason, so not your issue. So getting results 48 hrs ahead would no doubt not work as that would mean the test had been taken before that, obviously.

these are the results, see section 2.2
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...ational-travel

Old Jan 30th, 2022, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Christina & Stu...

The website says "less than 48 hours old"...so I have interpreted that to mean at arrival time, not departure. Either way, I'll be OK, as long as the window is 48 hrs, not 24 hrs. (I was concerned because my flight is on a Sunday, and there does not seem to be any places near me open on Sunday.)
  • If it's 48 hrs before arrival on Monday noon (6 am US). We can take the test any time after Saturday 6 am.
  • If it's 48 hrs before departure at 10:30 pm Sunday, We can take it any time after 10:30 pm Friday.
In other words, we can take it any time on Saturday. This will work for us.

Thanks.
ssander
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 09:05 AM

These at home tests are approved for travel, using an online proctor.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...stkit-six-pack
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by eurohop
These at home tests are approved for travel, using an online proctor.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...stkit-six-pack
However, It seems self tests aren’t accepted for travel to France. At least, I was told that by an Air France phone representative.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 09:00 AM

These at home tests are approved for travel
These are approved by the FDA which has no jurisdiction in France. Do you have any documentation that they are approved by the Ministère des Solidarités et de la Santé?
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 01:13 AM

In the news Feb 8:
The French government has announced that the requirement of Covid-19 testing to enter the country will be dropped shortly for travelers who are fully vaccinated.

The testing was brought in during December to combat the Omicron variant of Covid-19 for all travelers entering from outside the EU (including the U.K.). However, Europe Minister Clément Beaune told France 2 TV that “in the coming days we will announce that tests are no longer needed for vaccinated people.”

Beaune also said that there are likely to be new EU travel rules announced this week, saying “there will probably be a new European protocol for vaccinated people arriving from outside the EU, with eased measure”
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 07:30 AM

In the news Feb 8:
The French government has announced that the requirement of Covid-19 testing to enter the country will be dropped shortly for travelers who are fully vaccinated.

The testing was brought in during December to combat the Omicron variant of Covid-19 for all travelers entering from outside the EU (including the U.K.). However, Europe Minister Clément Beaune told France 2 TV that “in the coming days we will announce that tests are no longer needed for vaccinated people.”

Beaune also said that there are likely to be new EU travel rules announced this week, saying “there will probably be a new European protocol for vaccinated people arriving from outside the EU, with eased measure”
That's great news. Our trip isn't until May, but we are following this closely to see how things evolve between now and then.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Good to know...thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 09:23 AM

Good news, the tests are no longer required.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20220211/bre...ed-travellers/

/
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful!! I hope it stays that way.
ssander
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 01:09 PM

We're going to Paris in May, so things will likely change. Never-the-less, an answer to this will help/scare/comfort me:

We have our two shots plus booster, all registered on our passe Sanitaire accounts and AntiCovid phone apps.

How did you get the Passe Sanitaire already? Were you in France previously?

Last edited by pepperment; Feb 13th, 2022 at 01:10 PM. Reason: insert quote
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 01:16 PM

Testing to Board Airplane

Originally Posted by ssander
Hi all...

What kind of testing is required to get through passport control. I have read you need results 24-48 hours before entry. There are no BinaxNow (<1hr) locations near us
The IDNow takes up to 24 hrs. If we got it first thing (9 am) the day of the flight, the results -- even if sent by email -- might not get to us by the time our plane lands the next day at noon (6 am US time).

ssander

Any advice?

Thanks
ssander
The best timing I find for a PCR test is 24-48 hours. Results aren't guaranteed...so please help me with this. Re. the Antigen test, how does one show proof of negative result (aren't they all just a paper strip?). Antigen tests here in SF provide no guarantee of test results within the required time frame.
Not quite getting how this works...
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 01:23 PM

I think I may be able to answer the Passe Sanitaire question.

My wife & I both received the Passe last November - e-mailed to us at home before France closed this option to visitors. We went to Paris on Dec 2 for a 2 weeks visit, and friends arrived in Paris on Dec 4. They did not have the Passe. We scoped out a pharmacy across the street from our apt & determined that they could issue the pass if our friends presented all the vaccination documents required (CDC cards). Our friends arrived, went to this pharmacy, and walked out with a Passe Sanitaire 20 minutes later. They used it to get into the restaurant for dinner with us that night, and to get into Hotel de la Marine then next day.

There were about 3 other pharmacies within 2 blocks of our apt that probably could issue the Passe. We used one of them to obtain our Covid test that was required to re-enter the USA.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 01:43 PM

Passe Sanitarire

Originally Posted by ssander
Hi all...

ssander

Any advice?

Thanks
ssander
Originally Posted by StuDudley
I think I may be able to answer the Passe Sanitaire question.

My wife & I both received the Passe last November - e-mailed to us at home before France closed this option to visitors. We went to Paris on Dec 2 for a 2 weeks visit, and friends arrived in Paris on Dec 4. They did not have the Passe. We scoped out a pharmacy across the street from our apt & determined that they could issue the pass if our friends presented all the vaccination documents required (CDC cards). Our friends arrived, went to this pharmacy, and walked out with a Passe Sanitaire 20 minutes later. They used it to get into the restaurant for dinner with us that night, and to get into Hotel de la Marine then next day.

There were about 3 other pharmacies within 2 blocks of our apt that probably could issue the Passe. We used one of them to obtain our Covid test that was required to re-enter the USA.

Stu Dudley
Hi Stu,
Yes, you were fortunate to get yours before they crashed their own site.
Anyway, yes I am aware of the pharmacy option. Issue is that last December not so many mobs, this May, wow you bet. Pharmacy wait-times have been approximated at 4 hours now. This is not a solution its a big problem. France has highly evolved IT, but I guess this is like our test kits from USPO....not functional.

Old Feb 13th, 2022, 01:57 PM

How do you know that wait times will be 4 hours three months from now???

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by pepperment
Pharmacy wait-times have been approximated at 4 hours now. This is not a solution its a big problem. France has highly evolved IT, but I guess this is like our test kits from USPO....not functional.
Pharmacies in my neighborhood in Paris have no lines. I have never waited more than a few minutes for anything. The idea of a 4-hour wait times is nonsense unless you have a lot of specifics to present.
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 02:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are no lines in my neighborhood either. The only times there were lines (maybe 5 people) was just before a couple of pass deadlines. And I can see 3 pharmacies out of my apartment window with a half dozen others within 3 blocks (the French love their medicine!).
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Peppermint...

Our Passes Sanitaires were applied for online, but, unfortunately I cannot remember the URL. We uploaded scans of our vaccine cards, passport data pages, and plane tickets -- all three are required -- and filled out the online form. We had our approval and documents by email within six hours. We then installed the AntiCovid app on our phones (a French app) and added both of our Passes Sanitaires numbers to both of our phones, so the QR codes and vaccine details are now displayable on our phones.

One caveat: On the application form, it will ask "foreign address" or some-such. This is NOT your hotel address in France. It is your US address.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -