Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Covid testing in London for return to U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2022, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly many have been thru this process ~ any suggestions?
Thank you.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 08:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What is your question? There are tests everywhere - including right at the airports. All you need is a rapid antigen test.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
What is your question? There are tests everywhere - including right at the airports. All you need is a rapid antigen test.
Well, I was hoping for suggestions re price, convenience, time factors.
Sorry my post wasn’t clear to you.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 09:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You asked any suggestions -- that is a lot different than 'price, convenience, time factors'. Have you looked at either the LHR website or any of the many resources on line? You would look for 'Fit to Fly' tests. Results are very quick -- 15 mins to 90 mins max.

just a few: https://www.boots.com/services/covid...d-test-service
https://doctap.co.uk/covid-19-antigen-test/
https://www.expresstest.co.uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...avirus-testing

Old Feb 7th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 12:38 PM

VonVan, I would also be interested in hearing first hand experiences of travelers returning to the US.
It would be great to know if people ran into any issues or recommend a particular testing location.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

JenniferT, we’d get more information if we were asking about restaurants or hotels!
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 11:03 AM

I think many people here have not been able to travel due to everything being locked down, therefore a lack of responses.

You might get more actual accounts if you look on Flyer Talk. They have airline specific forums, a Corona virus forum and country specific destinations forums which have lots of people who have been traveling during the pandemic. Here's a link to the coronavirus forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 11:09 AM

I ordered my self test with certificate from Boots, it came within three days. I haven’t taken the test yet, will let you know. The price is only £14.99.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both - this little note on flyertalk is interesting:

“I think it may be on the way out as well. A few days ago, Airlines for America released a letter asking the White House to drop the test requirement. The WH had no comment. In the past, whenever someone asked about relaxing any kind of restrictions, the WH has given some mumbo jumbo about "follow the science, blah blah blah." This time, they had no comment. That's interesting, and it may mean that at least some people in the administration are thinking about ditching it.“
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 04:22 PM

I did not know Boots offers a self test for return to the US. @cafegoddess do report back!

I used a place called Renenerative Clinic and it was fine, I got my results in 90 minutes on a Sunday. But it was more like $50. I don’t think I would wait until I got to the airport.

as Janis says there are a lot of places, she has the links posted, just choose one close to where you are staying.

I also hope they drop the requirement for vaccinated people. It does not make a lot of sense at this point.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 01:10 PM

rialtogrl it worked great. You have to buy online, create an account and upload your test. The result came quickly. The QR code has all your information
It is the cheapest test I have taken.

Old Feb 11th, 2022, 06:35 AM

Boots
Eurofins
Randox
Collinson
Expresstest
Chronomics
Project Screen
Qured
Breathe Assured

and many more have self test antigen kits that you can order and get delivered to your address, they can be supervised or not, depends what you order. All require a profile to be created with your personal details. All have a travel certificate as long as you order the correct test ie fit to fly or pre departure ex U.K. test. Some certificates are delivered immediately after the results are uploaded.
Check your airline website in case they offer a discount code.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by cafegoddess
rialtogrl it worked great. You have to buy online, create an account and upload your test. The result came quickly. The QR code has all your information
It is the cheapest test I have taken.
super! Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 12:54 AM

On our recent trip to the US we used Boots. Booked online and arranged to take our test at Paddington station from where it is an easy ride on the tube or HEX to Heathrow. We got the results texted through before we even left the station. Maybe 15 mins. One thing I noted at the time was that it was the least intrusive, gentlest test ever. None of this 1 inch up the nose. They barely even touched the inside of the nostrils. Almost as if they wanted a negative test!!