Search

Covid surge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2022, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Covid surge

I’m relatively new to the forum so don’t understand when a topic is moved. When I tried to open it to see where it was moved I couldn’t access it. It was Covid surge anyone worried? Thank you for any instruction on this.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 12:11 PM

It was moved to a section for politics and controversial subjects, which is only open to people who have been on the forum a while
Some people are worried about it, others not so much.
If you are planning a trip to a country in Europe then I suggest you search for that country's current covid figures and watch them for a while. Also watch your own country's numbers if they are available to you.
The vast majority of cases in Europe are omicron, either BA.1 or BA.2. Similar symptoms, similar severity. For the most part, if vaccinatd at least, like a nasty dose of flu. Those with vulnerabilities are, as with any covid type, worst affected.
Numbers rise because restrictions are eased, intercontinental travel is allowed, vaccine efficacy is waning somewhat.
Only you can decide if you are concerned enough not to visit.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 12:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi, the thread apparently got pretty argumentative so it was moved to what some call the 'basement'. Not to worry, if you want to ask about covid restrictions and/or surges in Europe you can ask them here -- and as long as people 'play nice' the topic will stay here.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for clarifying that. Before it was moved, I was very interested in reading the comments. Most seemed very positive about travel, which confirmed my plans to continue with our trip plans. We are fully vaccinated so feel somewhat comfortable. Travel is just so different now, harder to have the enthusiasm.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 01:25 PM

Here’s a link to the thread
Europe COVID surge - are you worried?
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 01:46 PM

Macdocmom-- i think the problem is that the OP does not have access ro the Lounge posts yet.

one other topic on the moved thread is t he status of possible fourth shots in the US. I don't think this is relevant to you because your trip is scheduled so soon but here is a link to a story summarizing this in case it is of interest
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...now/ar-AAVfJyx
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 02:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by macdogmom
Here’s a link to the thread
Europe COVID surge - are you worried?
The OP already has the link - She was asking why she can't access the thread
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 07:22 PM

I just cancelled a trip to Paris next week. Even though I have had all three shots, my main worry was the possibility of a positive test the day before my flight home to NYC. In which case I would have to quarantine for five to seven days. Since Paris dropped indoor mask and vaccination requirements in many places, I felt I would just be too anxious. I somehow managed to test positive around New Year's when I was barely going anywhere so the idea of going to museums, on the Metro, etc. made me decide to cancel.....also the cases in France are definitely going up a lot as compared to the US from the graphs I see online....
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 05:07 AM

We also made the difficult decision to cancel our UK visit next week.

1. English friends we were planning day trips with have come down with Covid.
2. The “test to return” would have been a constant worry.
3. Travel advisory is at highest “do not travel.”

We would have gone ahead with just 1 or 2, but combination seemed like a perfect storm.

Last edited by 29FEB; Mar 25th, 2022 at 05:34 AM.
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
It was moved to a section for politics and controversial subjects, which is only open to people who have been on the forum a while
Some people are worried about it, others not so much.
If you are planning a trip to a country in Europe then I suggest you search for that country's current covid figures and watch them for a while. Also watch your own country's numbers if they are available to you.
The vast majority of cases in Europe are omicron, either BA.1 or BA.2. Similar symptoms, similar severity. For the most part, if vaccinatd at least, like a nasty dose of flu. Those with vulnerabilities are, as with any covid type, worst affected.
Numbers rise because restrictions are eased, intercontinental travel is allowed, vaccine efficacy is waning somewhat.
Only you can decide if you are concerned enough not to visit.
Around me scores of people are now ill with Omicron BA2, and not in a good way. I don't know who told you it's a nasty dose of flu, because it's more severe than that. Takes a long time to recover from and re-infection happens a lot. BA2 is more severe than BA1, and BA1's severity was dampened by vaccination and boosters, but that effect is now waning. In NL daily about 200 people get admitted to hospital, about 20 people die, half in nursing homes. It also doesn't matter that much if you're vulnerable: viral load seems to be the defining factor. In NL all anti corona measures have now ended, we're on our own to protect ourselves against infection. Mask up with FFP2 and good luck to you.
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 05:25 AM

No worries.
I had covid last week. Vaccinated, double vaccinated and boosted, it was no more than a bad cold.
The bureaucracy associated with covid is a different matter, if having this cold could strand you because of formalities. But hopefully remaining countries will drop testing requirements soon, most western European countries already have.
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 07:05 AM

Menachem, I know several people who have recently had covid, my son was confirmed as BA2. They all have said cold like or at worst nasty flu like symptoms. They have all been triple vaxxed.
Numbers are dropping in the Netherlands, and it seems it won't be long (assuming no new nasty variant) before they decide to close GGD testing stations and rely on people dealing with it themselves, or protecting themselves as they see fit.

I can see that the worry of testing positive before a flight home would put people off travelling but as of Monday there are no restrictions here, and I do believe as the weather improves numbers will fall fast. A trip in the autumn/winter might be another matter.