Search

Countryside/mountain basecamp in Scottish Highlands

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2023, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Countryside/mountain basecamp in Scottish Highlands

Hi there,

We are 2 adults and one 12-yr-old flying into Inverness and staying in the Highlands for 5 days in April. We want to rent a house (probably AirBnb) in the countryside or mountains not much more than 2 hours from Inverness. Our top priority is natural beauty, with lovely--or better yet, dramatic- scenery, and don't plan on doing many town-based activities. We're hoping to do some easy hikes and visit a nice village or two. We will have a car, so the rental can be fairly remote, and we can drive to specific attractions if they appeal.

Posting on another site we got a few recs for Aievmore (because we have a kid, I expect) but that's too big and sterile for our tastes, I don't think I was clear enough about wanting to avoid big towns.

I travelled to the Highlands in summer in the 90s, and remember walking in a valley surrounded by green, towering misty mountains - I *think* I was in Glencoe (I know it's not going to be quite that green in April.) I also spent a week in Isle of Skye and loved it. Both of these are options but we wanted to get other suggestions too.

Thanks!

Deborah
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 06:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. What site was that -- Me personally would never recommend Aviemore.

Your options are almost limitless and Glencoe and nearby Ballachulish are a great choice, many many great hikes, sites and activities within easy reach. I personally wouldn't deal with the hassles on Skye -- too popular by half and the roads and infrastructure really can't cope with the visitor numbers.

But almost any direction from Inverness would have good options.

Not sure why you'd think it wouldn't be green at that time of year??
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 06:57 PM

For something really off the beaten path this place is about 15 miles west of Inverness. https://www.aigas-holidays.co.uk

Don't be put off by the golf course. It isn't a golf resort or anything like that. It is a group of 4 cute cottages in old farm stables that just happen to have a beautiful wee 9 hole golf course at the bottom of the garden. It isn't in a town or anything like that. It is out in the country. If any of you are golfers, its fun play a round in the evening after coming home from a day of hiking or sightseeing.
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

I thought things didn't get green till summer? May be mistaken!
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 09:02 PM

Many things are green year round -- the deciduous trees are bare in the winter of course. But by March everything is green green, spring flowers in all the gardens and lambs in every field.
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

lovely!
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You don't have a lot of time to plan and note that many Scottish schools have spring holidays between the first and 15th of April, so you might encounter unexpected competition for holiday rentals.

I think it would be good to focus on some areas for a little in-depth research. A two-hour radius from Inverness is a very big area and could lead to a bit of analysis paralysis, if you get my meaning. Some suggestions:

Aberdeenshire and Royal Deeside: Basically this area is on the other side of the Cairngorms from Aviemore, with several VERY attractive settlements along the River Dee corridor (including the likes of Balmoral Castle.) In general - and of course there are exceptions - drier spring weather comes a little earlier in this area than in the far west - the mountains block some of the moisture coming off the Atlantic - and there are many, many very scenic and dramatic places to visit - mountains and glens, castles galore, whisky country... Just for an exercise, have a look around the villages of Braemar and Ballater. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/GXo5Sjetmqbmayro6

Plockton, Loch Carron and Kyle of Lochalsh. Plockton is an outrageously pretty and very small village located not far from the bridge to the Isle of Skye. It's within day-trip reach of many Wester Ross highlights as well as destinations on Skye. You're within reach of the likes of Torridon, Applecross and other quite remote-feeling destinations. Because Plockton is on a train line, expect competition to be high, but definitely worth the effort. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/9FArjzQzCpHTpUV47

Glenfinnan and the Road to the Isles. Glenfinnan has been a major destination for years because of its beauty and also its historical significance - it's where the Jacobites under Bonnie Prince Charlie started their long march to Culloden in 1745. Then it became even more outrageously popular when the Harry Potter films kept showing the lovely railway viaduct just behind the village. But, still, there are few places in the Highlands that are as beautiful as Glenfinnan, located on the "Road to the Isles" that ends in Mallaig, with its ferry service to Skye. But from Glenfinnan, day trips to other places on the mainland are easy and rewarding - Glen Coe, Glen Etive, Arisaig... Map - https://goo.gl/maps/KbbP97PZEpkk2vfM7

Perthshire Highlands. Many visitors seeking Highland beauty zoom past the Perthshire Highlands en route to Inverness, Skye, and other well-known destinations in the north and west. Depending on your viewpoint, that's either a shame or a good thing, because, while there's nothing secret about the area, it arguably benefits from not being so inundated as the others. But it has it all - mountains, glens, lovely wee villages, tons of history... One of my favorite destinations in Scotland is Glen Lyon, basically a long cul-de-sac, but OMG what a cul-de-sac it is. It's easily accessed from the villages of Aberfeldy or the incredibly picturesque hamlet of Fortingall (home of an ancient yew tree that might be the oldest living thing on earth, also reputedly believed to be the birthplace of Pontius Pilate.) The area is also with day-trip striking distance of Braemar and the Royal Deeside, or destinations in Fife like St.Andrews, the Royal Burgh of Falkland, Loch Tay, and many other spectacular places. Highly recommended. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/jRbA6Cz4WMLGLk7r7

These are just a few ideas. I'd recommend you google the places mentioned, also consult Undiscovered Scotland - Undiscovered Scotland: Home Page - a valuable resource. But don't dally.

Old Jan 9th, 2023, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

such a great, detailed response, thanks!