Search

cotswolds

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2022, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cotswolds

Staying in naunton May, 2022. Would like ideas for walks in area.
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 05:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
More than you choices could ever manage

Here s just one resource. https://www.komoot.com/guide/1683904...around-naunton
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 11:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://footpathmap.co.uk/
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 12:41 AM

When planning walks, use Bing maps
https://www.bing.com/maps/
Click on the box at the top right (will probably come up as 'road'). Select Ordnanace survey maps. If you enlarge as far as you can go, it will bring up a map at a scale of 4cm to 1km. This is THE map used by all walkers. Foorpaths are shown in green. As well as contours, it also marks field boundaries as small black lines. This is really helpful as it gives an indication where the stile or gate is in the boundary.

If you want to see a slightly bigger area, then look for the map that shows footpaths in red. This is a scale of 2cm to 1km. It doesn't mark field boundaries but is useful for planning.

For information as to what the different signs and colours mean, go here and scroll down to Abbreviation downloads.
https://www.campingandcaravanningclu...s-and-reading/

For the the 2cm to 1km maps, open up 1:50 000 scale OS Landranger Maps English version
For the the 4cm to 1km maps, open up 1:25 000 scale OS Explorer Maps England & Scotland

Not onlky can you check routes of walks from websites given above, you can start to plan your own walks. Avoid walking on red or orange roads unless they have pavements (sidewalks) along them for pedestrians as these are likely to be busy. Yelloow roads will be quieter, but look out for locals who use them and may not be expecting pedestrians! White roads are often farm tracks , will be quieter still and may be unsurfaced and a bit muddy
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 12:37 PM

Being able to use ordnance maps online, would be wonderful. However, the dropdown no longer shows this option. Perhaps you have a grandfathered version?
Or maybe you need to be located in the UK for this option to appear? I'm trying it from the US.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 01:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jennifer_Travels
Being able to use ordnance maps online, would be wonderful . . .
Streetmap has always been my favorite website for online Ordnance Survey maps.

Streetmap - Maps and directions for the whole of Great Britain

Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 05:09 PM

Sueger, great advice from all above. We too, will be Cotswolds-bound then. First time for us. You may already be aware, but 'the Slaughters' (Upper and Lower) will be just east of you. They come highly recommended by walkers.
Hope everything goes smoothly for you!
cheerz
I am done. the blisters
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 02:16 AM

It would be fantastic to be able to use ordnance maps online However, this option is no longer available in the drop down menu. Perhaps you have a version that has been grandfathered? Or is it possible that you must be in the United Kingdom to see this option? I'm attempting it from the United Kingdom.
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 02:45 AM

I'm based in the UK and have checked out Bing maps this morning and the option for ordnance maps is definitely there.

Daughter has an app on her phone for OS maps too, which is really useful when out for the day.
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by joechef6502
It would be fantastic to be able to use ordnance maps online However, this option is no longer available in the drop down menu. Perhaps you have a version that has been grandfathered? Or is it possible that you must be in the United Kingdom to see this option? I'm attempting it from the United Kingdom.
You need to select the United Kingdom as your country/region in Bing. Click on the hamburger menu at the top right -> Settings -> Country/Region.