Search

Corfu?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corfu?

Next year we will visit croatia and slovenia. The end will be in Dubrovnik. 4 days in Corfu would be great to relax but it is a 7 hour flight including 4 hours in Athens.

Anyone who has been there what would you advise give a full day travelling juts to get there?

Thanks and stay well everyone

David J
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 11:35 PM

All depends on your preferencies. I wouldn't go to Corfu just "for relax". You can do that everywehre along the coast.

Most touristic itineraries betweeen Dubrovnik and Kerkyra:
1. boat via Bari (with visits of the Castellana caves, the Trullli of Alberobello and may be Matera).
2. bus via Montenegro to Shkoder - Kruja - Tirana - Durres - Berat - Vlore - Dhermi - Himera to Saranda and local ferry to Corfu.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 01:35 AM

If you have the time, neckervd’s alternatives of a boat via Italy or overland through Montenegro and Albania would be interesting. I always look for a quick and easy way to get from A to B, and would choose a flight to Athens.

From Athens there are many alternatives of islands and coastal towns to visit, and Corfu wouldn’t be top of my list. Easier to reach would be one of the Saronic Gulf islands, e.g. Hydra, or a Cycladic island, e.g. Paros or Naxos. Even easier would be Nafplio, a coastal town in the Peloponnese about 2-3 hours from Athens Airport. Rent a car at the airport and you can drive to the heritage sites in the area.
http://www.visitnafplio.com/
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 10:32 PM

I would spend your extra 4 days in Croatia or Slovenia. A couple of years ago, I spent 6 weeks in Croatia and Slovenia (second visits to both countries) and only saw a small fraction of what there is to see and enjoy. Buzzing off to another country for such a short time doesn't make any sense at all.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd do more of what dreamon likes. Corfu is great but there is so much more within a short trip. Have you been to Trogir?
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We will stay in Croatia/Slovenia
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 06:05 AM

Can I ask why you skip Corfu? I guess Croatia and Slovenia are too nice to go away?
Old Aug 31st, 2020, 11:35 AM

Been there! (Corfu)

Corfu's great! Some cafes overlook the ocean. A lot of nightlife there. The food really isn't that good though. And the plumbing not so great either. The acropolis is something to see. The beaches are a bit of a climb to get down to. I took a boat I believe from bari, southern tip of italy. They have parasailing which is great (not scary at all). It was a long time ago but probably the same. Kinda would have liked to have gone to Santorini.

Last edited by ldatt22; Aug 31st, 2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 01:35 PM

Interesting that so many of you advised against Corfu. Would your answers be different if the question were slightly different.

The OP has 'only' 4 days and has not been to a lot of places that are easier to get to from where he's starting out from. So I get that.

I've been to all the places you are suggesting (Napflion, Santorini, Paros, Naxos, etc.
I'll be coming from the Dodecenese, planning to fly via Athens. In fact, that's the trip I am supposed to be on right this second. I should be in Kos right now (though apparently its 97 today so that's some consolation, but I just got an email from Aegean airlines asking if I want to upgrade my seat, so that was sad). So assuming I take the same trip next year, is it not worth it to spend about a week in Corfu? The only reason I have not been there already is that I'd heard it was so terribly crowded (presumably because it's 'worth it') in summer and all my previous trips have been in summer. Now I am able to travel any time so I planned a fall trip to include, among other things, Rhodes and Corfu.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 11:40 PM

My suggestion above was related, as you say, to the fact that it is a long way to travel to get to Corfu and there is so much of interest and beauty to see in Croatia and Slovenia that spending those extra few days there would be a real treat. In different circumstances, the advice might be different, although I always try to minimise flights within Europe whenever possible, because I dislike flying and because of the environmental impact. It's many years since I visited Corfu and I love that the Ionian islands are greener than some of the other island groups. If I ever made it back to Corfu again, I'd walk some of the Corfu Trail and I'd choose where I stayed carefully. But in your shoes, I’d probably island hop my way from Rhodes to Athens by ferry instead, as I think that would be just as beautiful and more relaxing. Exploring some of mainland Greece would also be great.
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

This is the original poster. I wanted to go to Corfu based upon what I have heard. We will be in Dubrovnik after two weeks touring Croatia and Slovenia. However, the travel time to Corfu from Dubrovnik would be a whole day since you must go to Athens first by air and then a 4 hour wait there. We are also going to London after Croatia so Corfu must wait until our next trip.

Thanks for the help

David J
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 11:09 AM

Corfu

I think it's worth seeing. If you enjoy nightlife, you would like it. The food isn't that good there, but I think that's greece in general.