Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Booked RT to Athens for Sep, 10 nts. Need help with 7 nt island hopping itinerary.

Search

Booked RT to Athens for Sep, 10 nts. Need help with 7 nt island hopping itinerary.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally used Delta credit from canceled Covid trip to book round trip to Athens. I've never been to Greece. My husband had been many years ago, to Athens and Hydra. I'm thinking 1st 2 nights and last 1 night will be in Athens. That leaves 7 for Island hopping. I want to keep island combo logistically sensible. No really long trips traveling between them.

So far, I'm looking at Santorini and Naxos. Can I squeeze in a 3rd? What about Paros or any other suggestions? Hydra looked interesting, but doesn't seem to make sense with these other islands. Too much travel time involved. With limited time frame, I'm trying to minimize that.

We're not interested in nightlife (dinner and a stroll is pretty much it), and don't plan on spending significant time at the beach, but maybe some downtime there would be nice, and would like to at least see some of the waterfronts. I dabble with photography, so enjoy great scenery, sunsets, interesting architecture, and charming streets. We also like to wander in picturesque towns with local character, visiting historic sights and doing a little "off the beaten path" exploring..

We usually stay in small boutique type hotels or B&Bs. Once I have solid itinerary, I will look into accommodations. Any recommendation of Athens' neighborhoods to stay in?
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 11:40 AM

Santorini and Naxos would be a good combination for 7 nights, with 3 on Santorini and 4 on Naxos. I actually prefer Paros and Antiparos myself, but Naxos seems ideal for your interests.

I don’t think you have time for a third island unless you choose Paros instead of Naxos, because Antiparos is only 20 minutes by passenger boat from Parikia, the Paros capital, and 7 minutes from Pounta, the little port across a narrow strait from Antiparos. It’s easy, therefore, to do a day trip from Paros to Antiparos. If you took one of the island boat trips, which leave from both Pounta on Paros and Antiparos you will stop for lunch on Despotiko, an uninhabited island, so that would bring your island count up to four.
https://captainbenantiparos.com/

You would make more efficient use of your time if you took a connecting flight to Santorini upon arrival at Athens Airport. The flight to Santorini is actually quicker than the metro or taxi from the airport to central Athens , and you won’t have to do it twice if you go straight to Santorini. Of course you need to add a couple of hours layover for the flight, but there are some good shops and cafes on the departure level of the terminal.

Most people like to stay in the Plaka or Syntagma Square area of Athens, but there are other equally safe areas too. The Kolanaki neighbourhood is an upscale area in central Athens that may have the boutique hotel you are looking for. I usually stay in Hotel Cypria, which is just off Syntagma Square. It’s a modest hotel with large bathrooms and good buffet style breakfasts. I mentioned the bathrooms because some Athens hotels have tiny ones.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Heimdall. Lots to think about. I wish I could take a longer trip, but that's not going to happen. My husband mentioned the Plaka area, but he was last there in the early 70s when he could get a room for $2. I think times have changed since then! As far as small bathrooms, lets just say it wouldn't be the first time, as long as it's ensuite, it's all good..
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 12:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly, I would skip Santorini. I was there in September, my third time, and it was just horrible. People everywhere, you cannot even walk. It seemed like every 20 and 30 something was there for the sole purpose of getting their Instagram pics, holding people up on the street and stairs (and there are lots of stairs in Santorini). I was hoping that because of Covid, it would be the last time I could go when it would not be crowded. Wrong. It was not enjoyable at all. Also, Santorini is one of the most expensive places in Greece. There are beautiful islands in the Cyclades where you will have room to move and spend less money. My favorite island is actually Crete. I've been there several times and it is diverse, beautiful and and has great sites. It's not in the Cyclades and you won't really find those whitewashed houses built on a hill, but it has a lot to offer and is easy to get to from Athens by plane (my preferred mode of transport) or sea.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Want to add that we stayed in Plaka this last time, first time we stayed in Plaka and I heartily recommend it. Easy to walk to the Acropolis, Acropolis museum and there are tons of lovely outdoor restaurants to sit and have a leisurely lunch or glass of wine and snack and dinner, We stayed in an apartment we booked through Vrbo and it was fabulous. It was a two bedroom, one and a half bath, with a balcony that looked at Hadrian's Arch and the Temple of Zeus, with the Acropolis visible from the kitchen window. It was just the two of us and more room than we needed, but it was a wonderful apartment very well located and I would stay there again.

https://www.vrbo.com/6729296ha?adult...ure=2022-03-24
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

The waiter at my local Greek restaurant (who is from Greece) here in NYC, advised us to NOT go to Santorini or Mykonos because they are so touristy, but I hear Santorini is beautiful. Stairs are ok...we've been to Cinque Terre, the land of stairs! Crete sounds like a separate trip altogether. So much to see there.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 02:28 PM

It is possible to avoid crowds for the most part on Santorini if you stay on the beach side (Kamari or Perissa) and only take the bus to Fira and Oia for the caldera views. Instead of joining the throngs who go to Oia for the sunset, why not combine the sunset with wine tasting at Santo Winery?
https://artoftheitinerary.com/santo-...-in-santorini/

Both times I’ve been to Santorini I’ve stayed in Oia, which has beautiful caldera views but is also notorious for its crowds. No problem if you know what to do — mornings in Oia are blissfully quiet until around 10 am when the busloads of cruise ship passengers begin to arrive. It’s also relatively quiet in the evenings after the sunset peepers get back on the buses to Fira. Go against the flow and you can avoid most of the crowds.

There is lots to see on the island where there aren’t crowds of tourists. High up between the black sand beaches of Kamari and Perissa are the ruins of Ancient Thera. The views from there are amazing even though it’s on the other side of the island from the caldera. The airplanes coming in for a landing at Santorini Airport actually fly below you as they approach the runway!

Then, of course, is Santorini’s version of Pompeii, the Minoan village at Akrotiri that was buried by the volcanic eruption around 1600 BC. The Prehistoric Museum in Fira has displays of the frescoes uncovered in Akrotiri. You can take a sailing trip in the caldera to visit the volcano (a bit of a letdown) but if the trip stops at the island of Thirassia you will see what Santorini was like before it was discovered by tourists.

Last edited by Heimdall; Feb 7th, 2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Heimdall, what do you think about staying in Fira instead of Oia? I saw that suggestion somewhere else.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Another question about Santorini. do you need a car, or are there taxis and/or buses. We're walkers, but have our limits. On vacations, we usually walk 5-10 miles/day,
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 06:48 PM

In May of 2017 after visiting Sicily and Malta, we ended our trip with 4 nights relaxing in Oia then 3 nights in the Plaka area of Athens before heading home. We really enjoyed our time in both places. We only left Oia one afternoon to visit the Sigalas Winery that was a short taxi ride from our hotel. The rest of the time we either hung out at the pools at our hotel being pampered by the hotel staff while enjoying the incredible caldera views or we walked around Oia checking out the shops and finding restaurants for lunch and dinner. In Athens, the Plaka area was very nice and had lots of great restaurants, bars and shops. It was also an easy walk to the Acropolis, museums and the ancient agora. We had a great time in both places. Our experience was what Heimdal says about Oia and what laurieco says about the Plaka area of Athens.

Santorini 2017 pictures https://john183italy2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/1191

Athens 2017 pictures https://john183italy2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/1233

Last edited by john183; Feb 7th, 2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 11:56 PM

Heimdall, what do you think about staying in Fira instead of Oia? I saw that suggestion somewhere else.”

Fira is more central than Oia, and has the bus station to all parts of the island. It will also be busier than Oia, so that should be taken into consideration too. Travelerjan, who may add her comments, has a suggestion to stay in one of the caldera villages outside Fira on the road to Oia, Firostephani or Imerovigli, I don’t remember which.

Although I’m an experienced driver, I never rent a car on the Greek Islands, as I don’t want the hassle. I can see most things by taking buses, but they are very crowded on Santorini. On my first visit to the island I was shown around by a friend in his borrowed car, and we went to places I wouldn’t have visited otherwise. If you are considering renting a car get an International Driving Permit (IDP) before you leave home, as they are required for driving in Greece.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

I'm now thinking of forgoing a Caldera View, to spend less on hotel, and hire a private driver/guide for a day to see the various historic and scenic places. Since our time will be limited there, I think having a private driver, will allow us to cover a lot more in a day than we could do on our own.

We were thinking of renting a car in Naxos. but not Santorini. My husband has an IDP, as we've taken to the road on several trips.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:53 AM

MFNYC, that sounds like a good idea to find a hotel away from the caldera but hire a private driver for the day. There are many things you will be able to see by bus as well on Santorini. On the TripAdvisor Santorini forum is a Destination Expert for Perissa with the screen name of Bigsnitch who has some good suggestions for hotels in that beach resort. Browse that forum and you may find what you want.

Naxos has an excellent bus system, so you won’t necessarily need a rental car for the entire stay, especially on days you are just going to the beach or hanging around Naxos Town. The rental car will be an advantage for touring the mountain villages. It’s been some time since I bought my last IDP from AAA (I now live In England and have a British driving license) but as I recall the IDP is good only for a year, so check that it hasn’t expired.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Heimdall.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 04:15 PM

MFNYC, we are visiting Greece this May, and our first stop is Santorini. At Travelerjan's suggestion, we have booked accommodations in Firostephani, which is about a 10-15 minute walk from Fira. Travelerjan recommended Firostephani over Imerovigli because it's a longer walk (about 25 minutes) to Fira. In case you are interested, we have booked reservations at Blue Dolphin Apartments. We are spending 3 nights in Santorini, and then we are headed to Naxos for 4 nights.

Is it too late for you to change your airline reservations? The reason I ask is that we are flying from Boston to Santorini, with a layover in Zurich. This is all on one ticket. To me, that made more sense than flying to Athens, and then flying with a separate ticket to Santorini from Athens. If our flight to Zurich is delayed, and we miss our connection to Santorini, it is the airline's responsibility to put us on the next available flight. And then you could spend your last 3 nights in Athens, rather than staying in Athens twice.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. 1 of our tickets was miles, the other Delta credit from canceled covid flight. We had limited options where we could both make the same arrangement, so flying direct to Santorini was not an option. I usually do open jaws, but it just wasn't happening here. Where are you staying in Naxos?
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by MFNYC
Thanks. 1 of our tickets was miles, the other Delta credit from canceled covid flight. We had limited options where we could both make the same arrangement, so flying direct to Santorini was not an option. I usually do open jaws, but it just wasn't happening here. Where are you staying in Naxos?
We are staying at Hotel Palatia in Naxos, recommended by Travelerjan. It's on Agios Georgios beach. From there, we are going to Nafplio on the Peloponnese Peninsula for 5 nights, and then to Athens for 4 nights. We are staying at the Airotel Parthenon in Athens. It is in the neighborhood south of the Acropolis, which Travelerjan recommends.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:42 PM

To Karen Woo -- THANKS! for doing part of the work, passing along the recommends that I gave to you, and MFNYC (I'm going to call you Mary FRancis of New York CIty, right?) -- I'd give you the exact same recommendations, because Karen's going in May which is off season, and September -- at least after the first 5-7 days, is off-season as well... so in both cases, the isles will be less crowded, the weather will be good... the difference is, in Sept the water will e warmer, and the days will be shorter. However, the locations & aaccommodations I'd recommend would be the same.

SANTORINI -- after my 1st 2 visits, I discovered FIROSTEPHANI, and since then it's my "happy place." Has lots and lots ofo hotels & accomms right on the caldera rimside, it's On the North FRinge of Fira, == out of the hubbub, but SO HAndy to walk in 15-20 minutes to the attractions of Fira, but not impacted by cruise crowds or busloads of package tourists. To check availabiliy I recommend using this link - https://www.booking.com/city/gr/firostefani.html put in your dates and a list will pop up. HOwever you should click on icon "show on MAp" and you will see the "blue balloons" for every hotel available for your dates -- when u touch one, it shows the €€ for your stay (3 nights?). NOTE - only look at hotels to the LEFT (West of the main N-S road on the map... if on the rH ide, that's steeply downhill. Some good affordable hotels with caldera-view balconies/ terraces include Blue DOlphins, HOtel Myloos, SUnset Hotel, Agnadema Apts, VIlla Ilias. PS: If a blurb says "Ocean view" that means view to the East, not the CAldera. IF staying in Firostephani, you can walk to FIRA & back. To explore OIA while avoiding the huge cruise crowd & package-tour mobs, as Heimdall says, take the Earliest BUs there (around 7:30 or 8) ... you'll have 2 hrs or so before crowds jampack the lanes -- then u grab a bus & leave, go do some wine-tasting (a friend says the Wine Museum is the best deal for this, fewest big groups). I"m not going to give u a descript of all the other attractions (museum, Akrotiri, Ancient Thera on a high bluff) -- that's homework you should do. PS: if you find a hotel with availaility that you like, you may want to contact diretly for a reservation -- as long as they give same guarantees as booking.com ( i.e., resreve on basis of credit, not a deposit in a bank, and also free cancellation up to 2 weeks beforehand).

NAXOS - SInce it's September I also recommend you stay on AG. GIorgios beach, because it's directly adjacent to the Port town, so you have the benefit of a beach scene AND quick stroll to all the attractions of a fascinating port town. Again, I recommend using a link https://www.booking.com/landmark/gr/...os-beach1.html - to browse availaility - click "show on map" and y ou'll see the EXACT Location of hotels, how close to beach they actually are. You want a balcony w sea view, or a patio ditto. Good locations to look at are HOtel Palatia, Studios Kalergis, STudios Thomais, Hotel Asteria, Lefkes Studios, DIogenes Studios, Kymata Hotel (IF u can get upper-floor room w beach-view balcony or terrace). An upscale on that's not thru an agency is Villa Naxia http://www.villa-naxia.gr/ And the Flisvos Sports Club right on beach has a cute set of apartment just behind - https://www.flisvos-sportclub.com/st...os-apartments/

ATHENS -- TO get an idea of Central Aathens & where allthe Landmark sights are -- look at this nifty online map - Booked RT to Athens for Sep, 10 nts.  Need help with 7 nt island hopping itinerary.-athens-map-big.jpg -- click & it gets huuuge; use side-slides to navigate. To orient yourself, find the A cropolis & put it in the center. THis MAp shows which streets are huge busy avanues, and which are little no-cars lanes (green-checked). As Karen says, for HOtels, I favor staying just SOUTH Of Acropolis, where a long pedestrian promenade half a mile long borders the edge of the Acropolis "precinct". It's traffic-free, green & serene, lovely stroll one, quiet. but right near allthe landmarks. Hotels nearb include Airotel Parthenon, Hotel Herodion, HOtel Phillipos, Hotel Hera. If you have big buck & like modern = AthensWas Hotel. TO browse prices/availability, here's a "tiny URL" of booking.com with a filter showing places nearest Acropolis.https://tinyurl.com/heq6edp IMPORTANT - Booking.com beside hotels, now shows privately-owned apts -- oftern very convenient South AND JUst EAST Of Acropoolis, for prices as good as or BETTER than sme hotels. I like these better than AirBnb or VRBO, because u can book for just a few nights & same guarantees as booking.com

FINAL ADVICE _ you talk about 2 nights in Athens at beginning and 1 at end -- that is a Major Rookie Mistake. With a short trip like yours - you can't waste pre time going in to a major city, checking in/checking out -- TWICE. Every hour is precious & this is wasteful... besides you'll be too tired to tackle big-city sightseeing straight off your international journey ordeal - you'll be groggy. no no no.. What you do is, ASAP, board a flight to Santorini -- SO Much better to get over jet-lag on an Island... slower pace, so refreshing. Allow 2 hrs from time Delta lands, to the dep tim eof Aegean/Olympic (that's the same airline, 2 names). If Delta lands at 10 AM, maybe a 12 noon or 12:30 or 1pm Domestic Plenty of time to go thru passport-control line, go to baggage claim, hit an ATM for a few €€ then walk to Aegean counter & check in -- Athens Airport is just one big building - Intl at one end, Domestic at the other. You'll have time for coffee or a drink. Flight is jut 50 mins. So if you get a 1 pm flight to Santorini, have a car-service pickup (abt €25 on arrival), you can be sitting on your balcony before 3pm, sipping your complimentary beverage! After 2 islands of relaxation & revitalizing, you'll be ready to conquer Athens -- you'll have learned about Greek ways, be more strategic about getting around, and -- just thru exposure to Greek landscapes & culture -- the world-famous landmarks will mean SO much more than if you tried to focus on them thru jetlag-bleared eyes. Believe me about this... I've visited Greece 13 times, 9 times with newcomers along; this way works best.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
We are staying at Hotel Palatia in Naxos, recommended by Travelerjan. It's on Agios Georgios beach. From there, we are going to Nafplio on the Peloponnese Peninsula for 5 nights, and then to Athens for 4 nights. We are staying at the Airotel Parthenon in Athens. It is in the neighborhood south of the Acropolis, which Travelerjan recommends.
My apologies to the OP, but I’m also following travelerjan’s advice. thanks 😊
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Wow, so much info! I completely understand the logic to go directly to Santorini, but for us, the stress of worrying about a delayed flight from JFK and possibly missing the 2nd flight (which isn't a connection) is just not ideal.

Mary Francis, LOL...it sounds like the name of a nun, which I am not, but I am in NYC. We are arriving in Greece on Sep 9th, so hopefully the crowds will be lighter.

Our plan is to hire a private guide/driver in Santorini for a day. We'll only have 2 nights there, so want to see it as efficiently as possible. Do you have any guide recs?

I was looking at the Grotta Hotel in Naxos. It's not in the area you refer, it's a little north of the port, and gets excellent reviews. We are also considering renting a car while there, so we can explore the island ourselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -