Search

Been to Ischia or Minori in March? Advice sought

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2022, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been to Ischia or Minori in March? Advice sought

Prego consigliamo.
We're finally going to do the trip that covid cancelled: the Amalfi Coast. We once got a glimpse during a brief visit to Positano 32 Xmases ago, but really, this will be our first genuine stay. The first half of the month will be at a rental in Minori, the second on Ischia. If you've ever been to either Ischia or Minori during the off-season or shoulder season, please might you share your impressions? Any tips? Looking for any kind of advice.
grazie mille
I am done. The end.
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

(my Italian above prego consigliamo was apparently not correct)
'Per favore dateci consigli'=please advise

I am done. The Roberto
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 01:18 AM

Will the landslides on Ischia disrupt your plans at all? I know they have been very serious but I'm not certain how much of the island was impacted.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 07:43 AM

I don't think that the landslides (which took place just around Casamicciola, but not all over the Island) will be a problem in March.
The bigger problem may be the weather which is very unpredictable for March in this area.
The Amalfi coast is good for hiking all the year round, if there isn't too much rain.
Off season doesn't mean that the infrastructure doesn't work as all places are inhabited all the year round.
Trains and buses all over the area as well as ferries from Naples to the Islands will run as usual.
Places like Capri (Blue Cave), Pompei, Ercolano, Paestum, Mt. Vesuvius (and the ,museums of Naples, of course!) are open and visited by tourists all the year round,
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:31 AM

I was in Ischia in February '22 for a single night. Most of the shops in the port were open, but finding a restaurant in the evening for dinner was more challenging than I expected, but, ultimately it was well worth the effort. I had an absolutely wonderful and unforgettable meal. I documented my experience(s) below. Hope you go to Ischia - and that I get back there next year for a longer stay!

https://delsoblogger.blog/2022/02/24...but-ischia-is/
https://delsoblogger.blog/2022/02/25...-on-hands-off/
https://delsoblogger.blog/2022/03/02/charmed-im-sure/
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 12:12 PM

nylilly, Thank you for posting those blog links. They are really good, made me 100% want to visit Ischia.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

NYLilly, I'm with Sassafrass--thank you very much for taking the time to post those great links. Tell Delso that she has an interesting blog!
Btw, our rental is in the immediate area shown on the 2nd page's topmost image, Ischia Ponte. That is of course, near the bridge. We found the listing in an old Moon Guidebook.
FWIW, we've traveled off-season to a wide range of places, Mediterranean isles included. Self-catering as we always do, Mrs Z and I anticipate few probs. Just looking to spread the net a bit wider for extra info and advice.

Gotta say that I really appreciate the usefulness of the above input by Dreamon, Necker, Sassafrass plus the blogs. Over on the Rick Steves forum where I've posted the same request, with one exception the tone seems I dunno, less helpful and not as friendly. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but there are times when responses feel more like attempts to somehow cast shade. We wish such posters the best of luck in conquering their demons.

The rest of us will travel to Ischia and elsewhere, in search of more laughter, learning and good cheer.
I am done. the OP
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 02:33 PM

You know a lot of people populate both forums, right? Yonder I see two responses, one correction of your grammar, one warning about the landslides. I find you get out of these conversations what you put into them.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 06:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I read about fires in Ischia a few days ago. I would find out what the damage entails.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Well YK, perhaps the grammar police might've shown more willingness to be useful rather than just being pedantic. Not for the first time.
On occasion, there is superior smugness across all sites that doesn't serve anyone's needs but the snarkees, none of whom are invited to my birthday party.

Thanks HappyTrvlr, will check into those fires. Mind you I'm guessing that over on the isle's eastern coast, the Casamicciola landslide won't be much of a factor as the months pass.
I am done. the AC
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 08:05 PM

zebec, I hope you'll let us know how you enjoy your visit. I had originally planned to visit Minori next April but my husband unexpectedly decided to come away with me and we've decided to head to Greece instead. But Minori will hopefully still be in my plans for another year.
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 09:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to the coast area in late March before and had short sleeve weather during the day, but needed jackets at night. One good thing about Minori is the buses between there and Salerno (or Amalfi) are far less crowded than buses between Amalfi/Positano/Sorrento. If you are flying into Rome, you can take a fast train to Salerno and change to the bus to Minori. Great coastal views with far less crowds. I've taken a bus from Salerno to Paestum for the day before. I've also taken an Italo bus from Salerno to Matera (this was a long day starting in Caserta to Naples via Trenitalia and switching in Naples to Italo train and then Italo bus at Salerno). All pre covid so I don't know what services may be different.

Search on Youtube and Facebook for some of Gennaro Contaldo's videos about Minori. He's from there and has done several vids about it. I think he and Antonio Carlucci also visited Minori in their Two Greedy Italian series which might still be on Youtube.

To reach Pompeii from Minori, you can take the bus to Salerno and switch to the Trenitalia train to Pompeii. It's a bit of a walk from the Pompeii station unlike the Circumvesuviana train stop at Pompeii Scavi which is right across from the entrance. The Circumvesuviana train would not be convenient for you as you would need to reach Sorrento to catch it.

You might look at local passes depending on how much sightseeing/travel you plan to do between towns. I usually suggest the 3 day Campania Artecard for people that are going to be in the area a short time because it includes travel and admission to 2 sites plus discounts at other, but that wouldn't really work for you. I haven't looked at them since covid so I don't know if there are changes. A couple of passes include travel while others don't. Unicocampania would have the transport only passes for the region.

https://www.campaniartecard.it/pass/?lang=en

https://www.unicocampania.it/

I haven't been to Ischia yet, but have wanted to go ever since I saw The Talented Mr. Ripley.
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Grazie mille KyBourbon! So much valuable advice--I really appreciate it. We will def check out your suggestions. My wife and I may have already seen those YouTube vids in years past, but will still revisit them regardless. YouTube also features a number of vids done by amateurs for each of the various walks along the coast, ranging from entire traverses of the more well-known ones, to simple rambles through Minori, Atrani et al. Useful stuff.

A quasi-related chuckle. We have been going to our bank to finalize deposits for this trip. The teller with whom we've dealing is the same young man who'd once done the same for our previous Puglian rental. Back then, he baffled us with his comment, "Yeah so you guys are going to Italy! I've always wanted to go to 'Sinky Tier' one day." We looked at each other uncomprehending, til it finally dawned on us--he'd meant to say 'Cinque Terre'!
I am done. the tips
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

The Gennaro Contaldo video that KYBourbon highlighted above. Thanks again KYB.
Old Dec 3rd, 2022, 11:24 PM

zebec, the Campania Artecard which KB suggests worked well for us early May this year, free transport, including the Circumvesuviana, and free entrance to Pompeii and the Archeological Museum, which more than covered the cost of the ticket. But we were based in Naples, not sure how it’ll work from Minori.

We also spent four days in Atrani and the Sita bus and ferry were most convenient for getting around. Lots of lovely walks in the area, including Minori, nothing too strenuous, which was exactly what we wanted. Not for nothing everyone flocks to the Amalfi Coast, you’ll love it!
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 03:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
That isn't the video I was talking about. He's made a few where he goes to various food places in Minori and visits his sister so you get a glimpse of Minori. This is one of them.

This episode of Two Greedy Italians, Antonio and Gennaro visit Minori and some other places in the area. Try all these foods zebec!

Old Dec 8th, 2022, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Oh Grazie KYB! Two wonderful videos. We'd seen them years ago but had forgotten about them and their connection to Minori.

A coincidence: the prominent Gambardella family shown in the first video (limoncello production; pastry shop) have rented to us for this upcoming trip. Thanks to the needs of their resident 90 yr old uncle, their building has a lift that covers all but 25 steps to the top and our apartment. Every other rental on our shortlist had at least 70 steps, an unwelcome prospect after our recent Montreal rental's seemingly endless 60 stairs then another dozen inside the unit.
(cue a certain pair of huffing and puffing maudit anglais)

Gotta admire the nostalgic love that both men displayed for their roots, in a place where roots are taken seriously. My father's best friend had Italian roots and similar homecomings.
Stanley Tucci ate a similar rabbit recipe at 'Focolare' (Barano) on Ischia, during his recent episode there.
We appreciate your offerings here KYB.

I am done. the running rabbit
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 12:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Havent visited off season, but visited the AC this September, based out of Amalfi. My only real "tips" are:
- the walks - Ravello to Minori and the Path of the Lemons (Minori to Maiori) offer great views without being very strenuous, so well worth the effort
- Pasticceria Sal de Riso in Minori is a must visit, the Delizia al Limone is divine
Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Grazie ANUJ. Sal de Riso has apparently opened a new outlet directly beside our rental. Reviews for his original enterprise were consistently 'raves' but this new one gets mixed responses.
We may just do the Lemon path in reverse, from Maori back to Minori. And we are learning that the largest local grocery supermarket is actually in Maori.

*The sour grapes part of us is pleased to not have to walk along the Marmorata (seaside Ravello) road into Minori, which would've been the case had covid not cancelled our original trip.
We'd back then committed to renting Villa Principessa along that route. That villa was wonderful, our all-time splurge. Only problem was its front door opening right onto the road, a road without any sidewalk.
Mrs Z had been very leery about night-time walks and like that.

I am done. the lemon
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Tidbits for the benefit of anyone else with a mind towards possibly doing the same in March...

-there definitely are a handful of Ischia spas that stay open year round.
-Negombo may be open weekends only during off-season (check ahead).
-the Botanical Mortella Gardens may also be open off-season by appointment only (again check ahead).
-a useful blog about Ischia is 'The Limonata', written by a NYC woman with Napoli roots who moved to Ischia with her Venetian-born husband.
-occasional storms can isolate the isle for 24-48 hrs.

*And Grazie Geetika!

I am done. The end.