Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens or Mykonos - where to spend an extra day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Greece the first week of September. I am planning to do Athens, Mykonos and Santorini. I have an extra day in my itinerary and would like to visit an additional island as a day trip from one of these places. From what I have read there's not many options for an easy day trip from Santorini, but it seems like there are lots of options from Athens and Mykonos. Does anyone have any recommendations of easy trips out of Athens or Mykonos? We enjoy doing activities and being outside, we are less interested in history and museums.

Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 12:11 PM

From Mykonos you can do a day trip to the spectacular archeological island of Delos . . . one of Greece's best destinations for ancient "ruins". No one is allowed to live on the island and the only structures are buildings for archeologists and the museum. It's truly a spectacular island to go to for World-Class "ruins"

On the other hand . . . since Santorini and Mykonos are two of the most over-the-top and touristy and expensive of the Greek Islands why not drop Mykonos and spend more time in Athens. You need a minimum of three days to fully explore and experience the city with it's World Class archeological sites, museums, Plaka, Monistiraki & Syngtagma Squares, Anafiotika, the Central Markets and surrounding areas on Athinas St., and so much more.

Since you are less interested in history and museums (why go to Greece?) then concentrate on the Central Markets, Plaka area, Psiri District and more "cosmopolitan" areas of Athens.

Check out this website for Athens:
https://www.athensguide.com/

If you want a nice day trip from Athens you can take the ferry to the nearby island of Aegina for a wonderful day on a Greek Island that has everything one wants for a Greek Island Experience without a long ferry ride, great waterfront town, shops, markets, tavernas and is the Pistachio Capital of Greece.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 12:27 PM

The best day trip from Mykonos is Delos to see the archaeological site. If that is of no interest, Tinos is a very short ferry trip away, and there are several ferries each day.

Another option would be to stop overnight on Naxos, which is on the highspeed ferry route between Santorini and Mykonos. The ferry you take from Santorini will stop there (or Paros) anyway. That would give you more time on a third island, and avoid having to return to your starting point at the end of the day.

If you decide to spend the extra day in Athens, you could take a day trip from Piraeus to one of the Saronic Gulf Islands, e.g. Aegina.

EDIT: crazyh takes every opportunity to knock Santorini and Mykonos, even though he has never been to Santorini, and has never spent a night on Mykonos. I avoid those two islands in high season, but there is no denying they are beautiful. Early September will still be busy, but if that's where you plan to go you will enjoy yourself.

Last edited by Heimdall; Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 01:36 PM

#3: Your obsession with me is quite flattering . . . but I think it has more to do with immaturity than anything else.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 08:18 AM

Other options:

- a landlocked daytrip out of Athens to Delphi, an important historical site/sight and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

- a boat to Hydra, cute small island (windmill!) and quiet, with no cars or trucks, just donkeys for transportation