Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any way to get an international driver’s license while abroad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2022, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so I’m already abroad and will be going to Greece in 7 days. I just learned today from a friend that apparently you need a special driving international permit and they don’t accept US driving license.

im already abroad. Is there anyway to get it like maybe filling out an online form? Or am I SOL?
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No experience whatsoever, but you might try this website... Obviously, you're going to want a digital version.

https://internationaldriversassociation.com/
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
No experience whatsoever, but you might try this website... Obviously, you're going to want a digital version.

https://internationaldriversassociation.com/

WOW Jean. You saved the day!!!!

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, AAA is "out" of IDPs. We live close to the SFO airport, and our closest AAA offices are in Daly City and Redwood City. Today we called Daly City and they said they were out of them & don't know when they will receive more. They told us the Sonoma AAA (1 1/2 hrs away) might have some. Called Redwood City & they are out also and no idea when they will receive them. They said the office in Santa Rosa (1 1/2 hrs away), or Mendocino (4 hrs away) might have some.

My wife will work on landing one tomorrow & will report back.

Stu Dudley

Old Jul 21st, 2022, 06:48 PM

Yay! I only hope the website is legit and reliable...
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 09:35 PM

I would warn against that website jean has given.
One is the location given on the website.
Toptravel PTE. LTD.12 EU TONG SEN STREET #08-169THE CENTRAL SINGAPORE 059819
And this wording.
Legal Disclaimer: International Drivers Association is in no way affiliated with or a representative of American Automobile Association, Inc (AAA) and makes no claim to be a Government Agency. You are purchasing a translation document which is not a replacement for a Driving License.
When you look up Toptravel this result is a little concerning.
https://sgpgrid.com/company-details/toptravel-pte-ltd
Company Tag Tech Startup
TOPTRAVEL is an ACRA-registered entity that has been operating for 1 year 6 months in Singapore since its incorporation in 2021. Officially, TOPTRAVEL PTE. LTD. is registered as Private Limited Company with its address in District 1 (Raffles Place, Cecil, Marina, People's Park), primarily operates in the sector of "DEVELOPMENT OF SOFTWARE AND APPLICATIONS (EXCEPT GAMES AND CYBERSECURITY)", SSIC code - 62011
Sorry about all the capitals but these are cut and paste from the websites.
Jean how did you find this website?
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 11:47 PM

VANAARLE, the Indernational Drivers Permit (IDP) IS a translation. It never was a replacement for a drivers license. You need to show it in addition to the official license if asked.

i don’t think it matters where the website owner is based, and it is about time someone made the permit available online. The only thing is they are a bit expensive on this site unless you go for the 3 year option. Thanks Jean for finding this and I hope the OP will report back if he gets a permit.

Stu, how can they be “out” of little booklets that coukd be reprinted in any high school repo depo? Weird.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by rialtogrl
VANAARLE, the Indernational Drivers Permit (IDP) IS a translation. It never was a replacement for a drivers license. You need to show it in addition to the official license if asked.

i don’t think it matters where the website owner is based, and it is about time someone made the permit available online. The only thing is they are a bit expensive on this site unless you go for the 3 year option. Thanks Jean for finding this and I hope the OP will report back if he gets a permit.

Stu, how can they be “out” of little booklets that coukd be reprinted in any high school repo depo? Weird.
Too many members here jump to conclusions.
Moving on the wiki states the following.
IDPs are issued through a network of AIT/FIA organizations, authorized by their governments to issue them. In most countries these issuing organizations are automobile associations,such as American Automobile Association in the United States, Norwegian Automobile Federation in Norway and Riksförbundet M Sverige in Sweden. As there are many unofficial sellers on the internet, the AIT/FIA has created an approved directory to all IDP issuing organizations in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...Driving_Permit
They also give a link to the official website.
https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/
This is the link covering those with a license issued in the USA.

https://internationaldrivingpermit.o...es-of-america/

Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 02:21 AM

It is true - you cannot get the IDP through that website if you are a US citizen with a US license. You gotta check the fine print.

Oh well. I guess if the government approved AAA cannot even supply the IDP "because they are out" people who need one will be out of luck.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 07:39 AM

""Stu, how can they be “out” of little booklets that coukd be reprinted in any high school repo depo? Weird.""

I thought so too. But we called the 2 closest AAA offices, and both gave the same story. The second office put my wife on "hold" while she did a little research, and then got back to my wife & told her to try Santa Rosa and Mendocino. I E-mailed a friend in San Diego and passed the info to her (she is traveling to France also). She said the San Diego office has IDLs.

I read in our local paper about 10 years ago, that SF Bay Area residents travel more than residents do in any other area of the US.

We don't depart until late August. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and try AAAs in the immediate area.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 11:08 AM

For U.S. people, you can apply to AAA by mail. It takes 5-7 weeks.

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.htmlverseas

AlpacaLlama, these options don't help you. Sorry. FWIW, although we've always carried an IDP when traveling, we've only been specifically asked to present it once in 20+ years and that was probably 15 years ago. We were once asked by French traffic police out in the boonies to show our documents, but the officer wasn't interested in the IDP, only our U.S. license and passport. I have no experience driving in Greece, but the IDP would be most valuable if you were involved in an accident.

Last edited by Jean; Jul 22nd, 2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 11:12 AM

I can't make that URL look right. If the link doesn't work, it should read "...htmlverseas"
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 11:13 AM

I can't make that URL look right. If it doesn't look right, it should read html [hashtag] overseas
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the link. We used it to apply for the IDL by USPS (snail mail). Could not find any way to apply by internet. It told us to mail it to our local AAA office - which is out of IDLs. So we called our friend in San Diego who got hers a week or so ago, and hopefully they will process it from the San Diego office.. Our friend is also going to try to obtain a blank IDL & send it to us so we can take it to our local office for processing. Our neighbor just dropped by and we told him our story. He called his AAA in San Francisco and got phone mail. So between us, our friend in San Diego, and our neighbor - we have made 5 phone calls to different AAA offices. We were only able to reach 1 of them after being on hold for 5 mins. The other 4 told us to leave a message and they will call us back. Only 1 of these 4 have done so already. I don't think California AAA has "geared up" for travel yet.

We have been driving around France for about 2 months every year since 1999. He also have never been asked for an IDL.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 05:18 PM

I can't imagine AAA would let someone have a blank IDP.... too much potential for fraud.

Have you tried calling AAA's Travel & Booking Dept.? 1-877-898-5792. I think it's a retail division, but they might have advice.

If all else fails, take your old/expired IDP and, on the off chance someone asks for it, hope no one notices it's out of date.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 07:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you at least have your US driver's license with you?
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 08:50 PM

Have you called the rental agency in Greece to ask about their policy and best advice under the circumstances? They might say it's not really an issue.

Lavandula
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 09:25 PM

""I can't imagine AAA would let someone have a blank IDP.... too much potential for fraud.""

Yep. Our friend in San Diego finally received the call back from her AAA office. They can't/won/t do that. Early tomorrow, we are heading to Walgreens for the passport photos to go with the paper AAA application for an IDP, then to the post office to mail it to the San Diego AAA office. I can't believe that there is not an online way to do this. The San Diego AAA office was not surprised to hear that the SF Bay Area is "out" of IDPs. She said - to her knowledge, AAA is the only source for them.

My wife is desperately looking for her old IDP. Or maybe some ancient ones. When we returned home from our trip to France in July 2019, her 99 year old father had a stroke. It was chaos for the next 2 1/2 years with her father & Covid at the same time. Things got misplaced or forgotten about.

Just another challenge!!

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 12:23 AM

IGNORE most of what was written above. Greece no longer requires drivers with US licenses to have an IDP (International Driving Permit), although the US Department of State travel advice hadn’t been updated last time I checked.

You can’t order an IDP over the internet, and any website that offers to sell you one is fraudulent. A red flag is when the website offers to sell you an IDL (International Driving License) — there is no such legal document, and has the same validity as a fake ID teens sometimes buy to get into bars.

The AAA is the official organization authorised to sell IDPs to US drivers, and the document has a distinctive grey cover. You can order it through their website, but the IDP will come to you by mail, so is useless for someone already overseas on a short trip. Years ago, back around 1970 as I recall, AAA had an office in London where I got my IDP, but that office no longer exists.

Last edited by Heimdall; Jul 23rd, 2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 12:25 AM

Stu, if your friend is willing, you may be able to mail her the application, photos, a copy of your license, and a check for the fee and she can get it for you. My friend in Sacramento was able to do it for me in 2021.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 12:39 AM

Just checked again. Although the travel.state website still hasn’t been updated with current information, the US Embassy Athens has updated theirs.

U.S. citizen tourists/temporary residents with stays less than six months with a valid United States driver’s license can drive in Greece with their U.S. license.”

https://gr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...ing-in-greece/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -