Andalusia, only 6 days

Old Sep 24th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andalusia, only 6 days

We are flying in and out of Madrid. We are thinking of catching a high speed train when we arrive from the US to Sevilla. Then use Sevilla as a base for the entire trip.. We do not like packing and unpacking daily, would rather take day trips. If we spend 2 days in Sevilla, then rent a car we can do a day trip to Cadiz and another day trip to Cordoba. I think Granada is too far. WE need to get back to Madrid the last day to fly out at 10

Day 1 arrive in Spain, train to Sevilla. arrive in the afternoon
Day 2 Sevilla
Day 3 Sevilla
Day 4 Rent a car and drive to Cordoba
Day 5 Drive to Cadiz
Day 6 Drive to Ronda then back to Sevilla and train to Madrid for next day flight, or maybe train to Madrid in the morning. Should we skip Ronda?

I wonder if that is too much and we should train it back to Madrid and spend 1 day in Madrid before flying home. We have been to Madrid before and love it
Maybe Sevilla, Cordoba and Cadiz is enough? or Sevilla, Cordoba, and Ronda not Cadiz?

Thank you for your thoughts
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 10:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Choose Cadiz over Ronda.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 01:05 PM

I would investigate whether a train would be more convenient than taking a car for these day trips to Cordoba and Cadiz. If time permits, you could consider stopping in Jerez enroute, although both have plenty to keep you busy for the whole day. I would just decide about visiting Ronda when you get there.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 01:13 PM

Alane, regarding day trips via rental car-

Train travel from Sevilla to both Córdoba and Cádiz is excellent (have done this multiple times).

Sevilla with a car for me is an encumbrance rather than an asset. For driving in labyrinthine Andalucía cities, you would want and need the smallest car possible (with limited comfort for more than 2 passengers). In Sevilla with a car for those 2 days, you’d want a hotel on the periphery rather than inside the “Moorish maze” so as to get out on the A-4 quickly, w/o stress. This limits your accommodation choices using Sevilla as your home base.

Our European Fodorites who take their own cars to Sevilla for touring often recommend the Eurostars Regina near the river in the San Lorenzo quarter, with a garage (narrow entrance) and often offering deals that include parking, along with triple and quad rooms. From the Regina it’s a 25-minute walk to Seville’s major sights (Cathedral, etc.). I’ve done the walk but don’t enjoy it in the scorching summer months. The Regina is very close to one of my favorite tapas bar, the Espacio Eslava.

Alternatively you could park the car in the Cano y Cueto underground garage that’s walkable to Santa Cruz quarter hotels but at a cost of 25 euros/day, and you’d need to drag your bags to your SC area hotel down very narrow labyrinthine streets, some too narrow for cars even to access.

The distance Sevilla to Córdoba is 140 kms. On a good day the drive might take 1.30 hr but with heavy traffic in and out of these cities, it may take 2 hours, while the train from Santa Justa station takes only 45 min. The streets of Córdoba’s historic Judería are another Moorish maze that I’ve learned over the years not to negotiate by car.

This drive through flat land isn’t exceptionally scenic (nor is the drive to Cádiz), whereas the high-speed train ride on the Avant is fast, comfortable, easy.

The Jewish Quarter (Judería) & Mosque/Cathedral are a pleasant 25-minute walk from Cordoba’s rail station through the Parque de la Victoria, where you can stop at the indoor Mercado de la Victoria for refreshments.

Granada is simply too far (3 hours by any transport method) for a day trip.

The drive to Ronda from Sevilla would take at least 2 hours. The Las Damas bus takes 2.15-2.55.

I agree with HappyTrvlr to go to Cádiz and go by comfortable and inexpensive MD train, a 1 hr. 40 min. ride. A great portion of historic Cádiz is pedestrianized and an easy walk from the rail station.

You’ll need to spend your final night in Madrid before your next morning’s 10 am departure because….the first Sevilla-Madrid AVE doesn’t arrive at Atocha station until 9:10 am. You must be at very busy Barajas airport (T1 or T4) for a US-bound flight 3 hours in advance.

Just some thoughts...

Last edited by Maribel; Sep 24th, 2022 at 01:16 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 02:39 PM

About the parking at Cano y Cueto in Seville----since you'd use the car for day trips only on your last 2 days, you wouldn't have luggage with you, so no need to schlep any bags to/from Santa Cruz hotel--forgot about that!
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your information about not renting a car. Especially since the drive is not scenic and not easy to get in and out. I was thinking I would just valet the car at the hotel. Maybe your suggestions about taking the train is the best idea, considering we are going just to the city. I thought the drive would be scenic.
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 04:54 PM

The drive is actually not scenic, and the train is so very easy, fast and comfortable. Unless you're staying at a high end hotel, you won't find valet service to take care of your car.

Last edited by Maribel; Sep 25th, 2022 at 05:48 PM.