Search

Alsa bus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2022, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Alsa bus

I've booked bus tickets on Alsa from Seville to Granada and was in the process of booking Granada to Madrid - when as an afterthought - I decided to take a look at the reviews. Oh my!

I thought someone here had spoken of a good experience on buses in Spain, but I can't find where I read that.

Reviews on Trip Advisor are pretty bad, although some of the worst are for trips outside of Spain. I'm now wondering if I've made a bad choice, and should stick to the train instead. The bus was attractive as it offers more departure options than the train on the Granada-Madrid route, whereas there are only three trains from Granada to Madrid, and the departure times are less than ideal.

I've traveled on RedeExpress in Portugal and had a good experience, but they don't seem to operate outside of Portugal? I've also traveled on Flixbus in Germany and Switzerland and will check to see if they operate in Spain.

Any thoughts and experiences on traveling by bus in Spain much appreciated.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The train is faster and more comfortable, of course!
But as you survived even a Flixbus ride, you will have no problems at all with ALSA.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 08:48 AM

We took the Alsa bus from Sevilla to Ronda and back early March 2020, just before the Covid lockdowns. Perfectly acceptable and quite comfortable, I don’t recall anything to complain, so IMO you should be fine.

We took the train for the Córdoba-Granada-Sevilla loop and of course it was way more comfortable, faster too.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 09:34 AM

We took the ALSA bus from Cordoba to Granada, and then again from Granada to Malaga. We have no complaints. The buses are modern, air-conditioned, comfortable and very convenient. You shouldn’t have any problems. Don’t know what the complaints are about.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

neckervd -

I realize the train is faster - only by an hour or so - but there are only three departures, none of which really work for us. It's also 3-4 times more expensive, but I'd take the train in a heartbeat if the departures were better timed.

The one time we took the Flixbus - from Chur to Munich I think - it was a great trip. No complaints whatsoever. I know a lot of people seem to hate Flixbus, but our experience was fantastic.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 10:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I’ve taken the ALSA bus from Barajas Airport to Burgos. It was fine.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 10:32 AM

Hi Mel!

Yeah, I'm one who avoids Flixbus at all costs.

I've taken it several times between Garmisch and the Munich airport and Garmisch and Innsbruck, and more than half the time it was late. Like 2h late. Because, of course, it is vulnerable to traffic jams. A visiting friend took it to the airport and almost missed her flight to the US. So I'd just advise that you schedule your trips to avoid weekends, especially 3-day weekends, when highways are bound to be crowded.

I also found the seating to be uncomfortable, mainly due to the high backs of the seats. I sooo prefer train seating with low backs that makes the carriage feel more spacious and airy. But of course you already know that!

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 11:19 AM

Here’s the previous thread.
ALSA bus from Granada to Seville

we have taken the bus a couple times in Spain and it’s been a good experience. We did get non reclining seats on the Granada to Sevilla trip and that wasn’t great since my husband is 6’4”. When we went in 2019 there was no train running between those two towns so that was our only option. Also took a bus from San Sebastián to Madrid 7 or 8 years ago and it was great.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks macdogmom for both your response and the link!
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 02:10 PM

I've taken buses several times in Spain and the experience was always outstanding. Not for a few years, of course, but I have.

I've taken Flixbus from Poland to Berlin and it was great, also, on another note versus someone's else's experience. And it left about right on time.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 02:56 PM

Remember you have to wear a mask while travelling on any bus in Spain, and it's strictly enforced. The driver will tell you to put it on when you board without. Also on trains, but it's more difficult to enforce it as there is minimum involvement with train staff.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 03:09 PM

I've taken several ALSA buses, and it's been fine. ALSA buses are common for people to take when getting to or from the Camino de Santiago and I haven't really heard about problems from fellow pilgrims. Typically I prefer trains to buses, but wouldn't hesitate to take the bus if it made more sense.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alec
Remember you have to wear a mask while travelling on any bus in Spain, and it's strictly enforced. The driver will tell you to put it on when you board without. Also on trains, but it's more difficult to enforce it as there is minimum involvement with train staff.
No problem.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 03:54 PM

I took the ALSA bus from Barcelona to Valencia. I prefer the train but the bus schedule was more convenient and saved some money Thie was several years ago.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 06:02 PM

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Melnq8
I've booked bus tickets on Alsa from Seville to Granada and was in the process of booking Granada to Madrid - when as an afterthought - I decided to take a look at the reviews. Oh my!

I thought someone here had spoken of a good experience on buses in Spain, but I can't find where I read that.

Reviews on Trip Advisor are pretty bad, although some of the worst are for trips outside of Spain. I'm now wondering if I've made a bad choice, and should stick to the train instead. The bus was attractive as it offers more departure options than the train on the Granada-Madrid route, whereas there are only three trains from Granada to Madrid, and the departure times are less than ideal.

I've traveled on RedeExpress in Portugal and had a good experience, but they don't seem to operate outside of Portugal? I've also traveled on Flixbus in Germany and Switzerland and will check to see if they operate in Spain.

Any thoughts and experiences on traveling by bus in Spain much appreciated.
We took the Alsa bus from Malaga to Granada, then another Alsa bus from Granada to Seville in 2017. They were comfortable and clean, but no WC.
We also took the train from Seville to Cordoba, and then also train from Cordoba to Madrid which were convenient and comfortable as well.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 07:16 PM

We took the ALSA bus from Lisbon to Seville and also Granada to Seville. On time, clean and comfortable. No complaints from us. Now I'm going to have to check out the bad reviews lol.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I feel a bit better now.

I'm leaning towards the bus; I just now checked Renfe again and our dates are now available to book should I decide on the train.

Weirdly, the train from Granada to Madrid isn't that much faster than the bus - the bus takes 4:30 direct, the three train options take 4:31, 3:37 and 3:57.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 07:26 AM

My sons were in Spain last month and looking for train or bus from Granada to Barcelona. After looking at all the possibilities it made more sense and was less expensive to fly. Not sure if it would be the same to Madrid.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 08:30 AM

The 5 fast trains take between 3 hrs 20 min and 3 hrs 40 min.
But the number of trains is not the same every day.
The ALSA buses take 4 1/2 hrs non stop, resp 5 hrs with a intermediate stop. They all end at the bus terminal Madrid Sur.
If your final destination is in this aea, you will be fine. Otherwise you must add the journey time to the city center (may be Atocha).
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

neckervd - there are only three trains from October 17 on, but yes there are several more options earlier in the month. We'll be there in early November. The travel times for the three available trains are mentioned above. I'm aware that the bus stops in Madrid Sur, and I've taken the travel time into the city into account, thank you.

wtm003 - I looked into flying too, but nixed that already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -