Search

8 nights in Munich, Salzburg and Innsbruck in May

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 nights in Munich, Salzburg and Innsbruck in May

Hi all,
This is part of a larger Europe trip I am doing next year (coming from Australia).
I have 8 nights to do Munich, Salzburg and Innsbruck before going to Lucerne to stay with my friend for a week.
I am not interested in doing too many museums/ art galleries. More looking for nature, hikes, exploring the old towns and beautiful scenery.
I was thinking:
Munich- 3 nights
Salzburg- 3 nights
Innsbruck- 2 nights
Do you think this is enough time to get a taste of each place? Also should I do 2 nights Salzburg, 3 nights Innsbruck?
Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 01:47 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, that will give you a good taste. I'd spend three in Salzburg and two in Innsbruck. Lots to do in Salzburg - don't miss a trip to the Salzkammergut, an easy day trip from Salzburg. You can also visit Berchtesgaden, Germany as an easy day trip from Salzburg, but then you'd have no time left for Salzburg!
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you! When you say Salzkammergut, any recommendations on where? It looks like a big region when I search it. I see Hallstatt is there. Is that worth going to? I have heard mixed things! And yes will only do 1 day trip, will spend the rest of the time in Salzburg!
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 02:40 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Ah, Hallstatt. It's a tourist magnet. It's also a longish day trip from the Salzkammergut, although long summer days make it more feasible. What time of year are we talking about?

Personally, I'd not try to squeeze it into such a short trip, but many do. I saw it in winter, and was overwhelmed with the number of tourists - in the off season! The Chinese love it, and pre-COVID it was a nightmare, so I can't imagine visiting it during the height of the season, although it may not have yet returned to it's pre-COVID craziness.

Two full days in Salzburg is already giving it short shrift, without trying to fit in more. The Salzkammergut region is beautiful, yes, and worth a day, especially as you're interested in nature and hikes. It's easy to reach by bus from Salzburg - in a full summer day, you can visit all three villages - St Gilgen. St Wolfgang and Strobl.

If I had to choose between Hallstatt and St. Gilgen, St Wolfgang and Strobl, I'd definitely opt for the latter.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 08:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I am not interested in doing too many museums/ art galleries. More looking for nature, hikes, exploring the old towns and beautiful scenery.”

Munich 2 nights
Salzburg 3 nights (one day on the Wolfgangsee. Get the lake ship in St. Gilgen and visit Strobl and St. Wolfgang and back to St. Gilgen).
Innsbruck 3 nights.(one day trip to Mittenwald and back).