5 weeks in Rome. Suggestions please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2022, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Rome for 5 weeks December/January in an apartment as a solo traveler. I have been to Rome twice before so I've visited all the major attractions. I will return to many of them. But, with this extended stay, I will have time to get to know the city better. I look to you experienced Fodorites to help me with suggestions.

What are some of your favorite neighborhoods, streets, sidewalk cafes? I really enjoy walking, exploring and discovering. My interests are history, art and galleries, window shopping, photography, architecture and artisan's workshops. With those interests in mind, do you have any specific suggestions?

I've spent the last 6 of 7 December/Januarys in Paris. I know that city like the back of my hand. Now, for a change of pace, I'd like to fall in love with Rome. I'm very excited about this trip and I look forward to your suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Old Oct 8th, 2022, 06:59 AM

One trip we spent a week just doing underground Rome-churches, temples, etc. Google underground Rome.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 07:07 AM

How wonderful to have all that time, Dee_Dee. In what area will you be staying? My late hub and found the Tram system a great away to get around. Google https://www.rome.net/tram for map.

Not religious, but we always felt a special peace in St. Ignatius of Loyola. We loved that entire area...Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and short stroll to Campo de Fiori.

To get to our hotel one time, from Navona we crossed the Tiber to Piazza Cavour At the time, Cavour had lots of bus and taxi options.

Away from Rome for the day, Tivoli, Orvieto (a don't miss Duomo), Ostia Antica.

Have an excellent stay!

Last edited by TDudette; Oct 8th, 2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by janetkupfer8032
One trip we spent a week just doing underground Rome-churches, temples, etc. Google underground Rome.
Our favorite:
Basilica San Clemente - Excavations

With that much time, you can do some great day trips as well.

The area just north of Trevi has a good mix of what you mention, the area near Spanish steps for Borghese + window shopping is walking distance, & easy access to subway to Termini.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 01:18 PM

I especially love the Villa Borghese Gardens and being with Romans in their free time. It's kind of like spending time in Central Park, in the sections where people actually do things. I've been to skateboard competitions, watched teenagers make huge daisy chains, attended bocce matches, and more. I really like it there, even if it's just for a long walk.

Palazzo Farnese, Palazzo Valentini, the Terme de Caracalla are some off the beaten path sites I like. There are always tons of special exhibitions on and we've seen some good ones. Have you been to the Quartiere Coppede? Quite different. It's very cool up on the Aventino, but I can't really walk up hill. I'm going in April and will get a taxi up if I have to.

I go to Rome whenever I can and these are just favorite places off the top of my head. I'm a real tourist and don't have "hang out" spots but tend to go to the places I read about or hear about. Cafe 1899 on via della Scrofa serves a very great cup of coffee.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After many visits to Rome, this August I finally had time for the Orta Botanico, Parco Villa Doria Pamphilj (for jogging), Villa Giulia, and MAXXI in August.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 03:23 PM

No suggestions, just, what a great thing to do. After a few days in Rome, the evening before we left, I just started warming up to it.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

janetkupfer, I can't thank you enough for your Underground Rome recommendation! It's right up my alley! I'm fascinated with Roman Empire history and had no idea so many sites were available for touring. The Domus Aurea was already on my list. But, now I have so much more to explore! Thank you!

TDudette, I will give the trams a try. I plan on using the bus system a lot on this trip since I have a great app for sorting it out. I have put
St. Ignatius of Loyola on my list. And yes, I plan on visiting Orvieto as a day trip! I'm looking forward to that!

alandavid, I have put Basilica San Clemete on my list! Yes, I have numerous day trips planned. Plus, I'm spending 8 nights in Naples before Rome. So, I'll finally get to see Pompeii and Herculaneum! Thank you for the recommendation to concentrate on the area north of Trevi and also the Spanish Steps area for wandering.

tuscanlifeedit, wow, thank you for all the recommendations! I too enjoy watching locals in their parks so I will definitely wander through the Borghese Gardens. Palazzo Farnese looks wonderful. I will definitely take a tour. I LOVE the looks of Quartiere Coppede and the architectural styles. Thank you for the recommendation of Cafe 1899. Looks like it's on a great square for people watching (one of my hobbies, LOL). Thank you!

Leely2, thank you especially for the recommendation for the Orto Botanico, Villa Giulia, and MAXXI. These 3 really "tick" all the boxes of my interests. I've happily added them to my list of must see places!

stokebailey, yes, I'm hoping to fall in love with the city this visit. The two times I've visited before have been short. during the heat of the summer and so crowded. Thanks to retirement and frequent flyer miles, I've now got time to get to know the city.

Old Oct 9th, 2022, 05:01 AM

I recommend il Goccetto wine bar for a place to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and snacks. The staff were really friendly and accommodating to tourists. We felt very comfortable there.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 07:39 AM

Tivoli to visit Villa d’Este and Hadrian’s Villa. (If you haven’t already been)

Palacio Colonna

consider a food tour with Elizabeth or Sophia Minchilli—great way to enjoy wonderful food and gain some knowledge while doing it
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 08:11 AM

Do look into blogs/apps by Katie Parla and Elizabeth Mincilli

Also even if you have been to some of the museums before there are often special exhibits likely found by looking into museum websites.

Our last time there we especially enjoyed the National Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art https://lagallerianazionale.com/

And I tracked down Carravagio's paintings in a number of churches after reading "Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane" by Andrew Graham-Dixon

Enjoy the planning!
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 11:47 AM

Went back to my notes, Dee_Dee and found a guide to the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj Gallery we visited. If you visited Versailles when you were in Paris, you might enjoy this Palazzo. Please note this is different from Villa Doria Pamphili so do double check.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

denisea, Palacio Colonna looks fabulous. Thank you for the hint. I will walk the gardens too even if it is January! And, thank you for the Manchilli food tour recommendation! I checked out their website. They have different neighborhood tours listed. Do you remember which one you did or would you have a recommendation? I've done food and wine tours in Paris. Can't wait to do one (or two!) in Rome!

laurie_ann, I just downloaded Elizabeth's "Eat Italy" app. I've got a lot of reading to do. Thanks! I will definitely check museum sites. And thank you for the Caravaggio book recommendation. (I just ordered it.) It's been a very long time since I've taken art history classes. This book will certainly give me a refresher course and a list of churches to visit.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also do a little Caravaggio self-tour if of interest:

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/wh...s-in-rome.html

You certainly will have the time for it! And Katie Parla's list of Roman restaurants on Eater is very helpful.

https://www.eater.com/maps/best-rome-restaurants
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

TDudette, thank you for the recommendation and the distinction of the two. It's on my list! It looks quite impressive. And, I just read the owner, his wife and his shih tzu still live there in private apartments. Very impressive!
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 12:14 PM

I'm looking forward to reading about your trip. BTW, because it is on rails, the Tram system is exempt from traffic jams.
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dee_Dee
denisea, Palacio Colonna looks fabulous. Thank you for the hint. I will walk the gardens too even if it is January! And, thank you for the Manchilli food tour recommendation! I checked out their website. They have different neighborhood tours listed. Do you remember which one you did or would you have a recommendation? I've done food and wine tours in Paris. Can't wait to do one (or two!) in Rome!

laurie_ann, I just downloaded Elizabeth's "Eat Italy" app. I've got a lot of reading to do. Thanks! I will definitely check museum sites. And thank you for the Caravaggio book recommendation. (I just ordered it.) It's been a very long time since I've taken art history classes. This book will certainly give me a refresher course and a list of churches to visit.

we actually did a private tour with Elizabeth as our schedules were busy and the only time we had was not a group tour time (and Sophia was not yet giving tours). It worked out beautifully as we met her the afternoon of our arrival and we learned a lot (like how to order pizza in a bakery). It was the perfect way to beat jet lag. We met in Campo dei Fiori and got pizza bianca at Forno, burrata at a cheese shop and a massive charcuterie platter with homemade red wine at the pork store in CdF. From there we went to the Jewish ghetto for more cheeses (hard cheeses) and additional wines. They both are terrific and any neighborhood you are interested in will be great for the food tour. I also agree about Katie Parla…all these women are terrific and know there food so any restaurants they recommend will be worth visiting!

PS I am sure doing a private tour makes us sound like snobs but we really wanted to do a tour (and Katie was not in Rome when we were). It is still one of our favorite things we have ever done! Food is a vacation priority for us!
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 07:53 AM

You absolutely must visit the website by Elyssa Bernard called "Romewise.com". She has lived in Rome for decades with her Roman-born husband. The website offers a plethora of info on places to go, tours, FOOD, shopping, lists and lists of their favorite bakeries, restaurants, trattorias, etc., etc.
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 11:59 AM

That website looks super, wwwinetours. Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Leely2, thank you for the list of Caravaggio's! I'm going to pinpoint them on my Google map. And, thank you for Katie Parla's link to restaurants. I'm definitely looking for non pizza as I'll be in pizza overload after my 8 nights in Naples where I plan to indulge!

TDudette, I look forward to using the tram system.

denisea, your private tour sounds wonderful (and not snobbish at all)! Question - what/where is the "pork store in CdF"? Food is definitely part of why I travel too. And due to the length of my winter trips, I also really enjoy food shopping and preparing some meals in my apartment. So, I'm also looking for some outstanding specialty food shops.

worldwinetours, thank you for that website! LOTS of good information there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -