Visiting St. Thomas without a ship excursion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2022, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tours that interested us in St. Thomas are all full (we're sailing with Royal Caribbean).
Can anyone recommend a good tour company or tour guide on shore who can help us see some highlights? I'd like to spend a few hours on a beach and my husband would like to see the Pirates Museum (is it good?). Any other recommendations would be awesome! (Lunch recommendations are also appreciated!) Thanks, Fodorites!
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just got a taxi when we got off the ship and went to Megan's Bay to enjoy the day there.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2Aquilas
The tours that interested us in St. Thomas are all full (we're sailing with Royal Caribbean).
Can anyone recommend a good tour company or tour guide on shore who can help us see some highlights? I'd like to spend a few hours on a beach and my husband would like to see the Pirates Museum (is it good?). Any other recommendations would be awesome! (Lunch recommendations are also appreciated!) Thanks, Fodorites!
Easy. You can just get a cab and negotiate something or google private tours in ST. Thomas. A cab is probably the easiest.
No problem mon.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Did you have to wait long for a taxi? Was it hard to get one on the way back?
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2Aquilas
Did you have to wait long for a taxi? Was it hard to get one on the way back?
we did not use a cab in Saint Thomas because it was an easy walk to the shops. However if you get a cab they should stay with you I would think. You would normally just have them take you to places of interest and sort of rent it out for a while and then they will take you back to the port. That is how it usually works when you get a cab on the pier and that is how it has worked with us in the past when we have chosen to do that. There could be larger vans that you could share a ride with and that would cut the cost down as well. That is if you’re willing to do that. For us it’s always nice to meet new people.
we did that in a few places including Barbados. We got a van and this guy took us around and we even had a stop at a bar owned by his sister so we had a really good time meeting everybody.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Jul 12th, 2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were taxis right there when we got off the ship. There were also taxis at Megan's Bay to take us back to the ship.
If you hire a taxi for a tour, you will just stay with them the whole time.