Travel Insurance on Viking

Old Aug 31st, 2022, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Insurance on Viking

We just booked our first Viking River Cruise for next May. Upon booking they recommended their travel insurance - which seemed very expensive. $719 per person. I have 10 days to decide if we want it. I have never purchased trip insurance before and am unsure if we need it. Has anyone had any experience with this insurance? Like, if we broke a leg two months before the trip, would Viking work with us to reschedule, or would we really be out of luck? Do most of you get travel insurance for River Cruises? Or do you recommend a cheaper alternative? Thanks for any information you can offer me!
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 07:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That does seem awfully high but it depends on the total exposure (cost of the cruise/airfares if included, etc)

Check out Insure My Trip and plug in your details and see what else is out there. https://www.insuremytrip.com
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't take cruises, but if I did I would probably want to insure the cost, and I would probably not want to buy insurance from the cruise company. I would look at Squaremouth - https://www.squaremouth.com/ - as well as Insure My Trip. Note that coverage of preexisting conditions usually requires you to buy coverage within 14 days of the first payment.

That said, I always buy medical coverage and medical evacuation/repatriation from Seven Corners - https://www.sevencorners.com/ Check whether your existing medical coverage will work abroad, but even if it does you will still need evacuation/repatriation.

Note that this advice is for US residents.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 03:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We get insurance for any kind of cruise or tour.That sounds rather high.We’ve had problems with Viking.
When we travel independently which we do most of the time, we don’t get insurance as we can cancel hotels and get credit from airlines.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Sep 1st, 2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering that Viking charges $6K and up per person, depending on what is included, that may not be the worst pricing out there, especially if you are in the uninsurable age group of 70+.

Depends on what it includes, eg Cancel For Any Reason, Pre Existing Conditions, etc... And what other coverage you already have/don't need from them.

For sure shop around.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 5th, 2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some places will insure over-70s, but the older you are the more it costs, and there may well be quite low limits on the amount of medical coverage.