Silversea cruise problems

Old Jan 21st, 2022, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silversea cruise problems

We have been booked (and fully paid) on the Silversea Dawn leaving Ft Lauderdale on March 14, 2022, and cruising to Lisbon. A lot of rumors going around that it would be cancelled. Then Silversea sent a memo confirming it would sail as scheduled. Last week a poster on another forum allegedly quoting a SS official stating that the Dawn was cancelled due to an unspecified "industry event". The poster speculated that SS would substitute another ship/cruise. Our agent has not been helpful. Is anyone booked on the March 14 cruise, or does anyone know about the status. Paying customers deserve to know so we can confirm or try to cancel our reservations in Lisbon. Thanks so much for any information.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to cruisecritic.com. You will get more help there.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

schmmeri- Thanks. That's where we got our limited information. However, Cruise Critic posters over the months have been inconsistent and not necessarily correct. We would like to hear from SS. Hopefully someone has information directly from the company.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 07:08 AM

Rather than relying on second or third hand info from others have you tried calling Silver Seas yourself?
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

We call Silversea a couple of times a week. Usually we get voice mail. Often our calls are never returned. SS must have a 24-48 hour rule. When we get a call, we are repeatedly told that we would be contacted with an answer, or get a return call within 24-48 hours. The response is never forthcoming. As stated above most information comes through Cruise Critic. I have spoken with 3 different agents. In fairness to them, I don't think they know what's happening. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 08:14 AM

I would not depend on either the cruise line or Cruise Critic as a source of information that far in advance. Their website should contain information on which cruises are sailing as of the moment, but that could change within hours (sometimes even the website or agents are not 100% up to date).

Cruises have been cancelled with only a day or two notice. One was even cancelled after it left.

I follow one particular cruise "vlogger" on YouTube, who is also a Canadian Travel Agent. Search for "Don's Family Vacations". He posts nearly daily.

Can you cancel hotels without penalty now? I would think rebooking is an option.

BTW that looks like a very nice ship. And I do hope you bought travel insurance.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 21st, 2022 at 08:19 AM.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

mlgb- I will check the suggested blog. We badly want to go on this cruise so we will likely wait it out. I will try again this afternoon when the latest 24-48 hour promise passes. We are 59 or so days from scheduled cruise, so I'm sure there is a penalty if we cancel. Here is where we are- it appears that the Dawn will not sail because of the "industry event". Silversea may move us to the Moon (sister ship) or possibly some other ship. Otherwise, SS will cancel, and we will request a full refund. Only problem may be some things we have booked in Lisbon. A friend opined that some cruise lines are one variant away from bankruptcy. This very much worries me since I have credit on two other cruise lines. As usual, thanks for the suggestions.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 10:41 AM

As Silversea is part of Royal Caribbean I would be less concerned about bankruptcy than for a smaller line.

One of the reasons I just burned a CruiseNext certificate on Norwegian was worry about how much longer they can hold up.

I guess a few days ago the company that owns Crystal (Genting) filed for bankruptcy

https://www.cruisehive.com/genting-f...e-brands/64218

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 21st, 2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 11:08 AM

Double check your booking. There is a mistake with the date that you list. This may be why you are not getting correct information.

You may have number of nights mixed up with the departure date.
You said departing on March 14th.

There are no ships departing from Ft Lauderdale on March 14th. None.
​​​​​​​I have triple checked this!

Silver Dawn is scheduled for 14 nights from Ft Lauderdale to Lisbon on March 18th.

It looks as if Silverseas Dawn has been cancelled only through March 17th,
and the cruise on Dawn departing on the 18th is still listed as departing.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jan 21st, 2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 06:48 PM

Possibly a typo..14 day cruise vs March 14?

There is another Youtube cruise vlogger that I like "The Shiplife" with a different perspective as a former NCL employee or contractor, IIRC. So some different insider contacts.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 21st, 2022 at 06:57 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 10:43 PM

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/S...rary#itinerary
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 11:18 PM

[QUOTE=mlgb;17325114]Possibly a typo..14 day cruise vs March 14?

You are probably right.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass- Thanks for the heads up on the date. You are correct that I cited an incorrect date. I can assure you that we have used the correct date with the SS agent. He even acknowledged that the Dawn would not sail. He said we would be notified about alternate plans within 24-48 hours. That was 3 days ago. Again, in fairness to the agent, I don't think he knows what SS plans to do. SS website is still selling voyages on the Dawn. We still have a couple of weeks before we lose our Lisbon apartment deposit. Our airlines were arranged through SS, so we should be fine. What hurts is our burning desire to go on this cruise. Our last two planned cruises were cancelled. Thanks to the posters on this site, we realize we must accept that there is nothing we can do , so we should just be patient; These are not the good old days of cruising.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 07:09 AM

Why not cancel the apartment now, if you can get your deposit back. Book a refundable hotel room, then you won't have to worry about that piece of things until a few days before.

You will have plenty else to worry about! Testing, flight cancellations due to staff shortages, etc.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Like the proposed cruise, we really like the apartment we have rented in the Alfama area of Lisbon. I checked the apartment cancellation policy, and it appears we can cancel within 30 days of scheduled arrival. So, we have some time to see what SS tells us. For the time being, we won't worry, but would really like to know what SS is planning for us. I understand covid issues can affect cruise schedules, but everything I read says it's more of a logistical issue. Hopefully this will not become the norm for the cruise industry. Thanks again.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

I now see on Facebook that Silversea is having a lot of trouble with other cruises. I thought it was only me. People be aware.