Bermuda

Old Dec 21st, 2021, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda

Thinking of trying to do a cruise to Bermuda. I would prefer just to fly there for a few days, but DD and GD love cruises. Several ships do two or three days there from NY and Baltimore. If you have been there on a cruise, which ship? Was it fun? If you have been there even not on a cruise, is weather best in mid-April or early July? Seems a bit cool still in April, but hot and humid in July. Unfortunately, those would be our only choices because of school. Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 04:46 PM

We did it on Celebrity about seven years ago. That was in May, and clearly things were just starting to get going for beach season. My sister had done it previously very early in the season (on Holland America) and had to chase chickens out of a mostly deserted changing room, the beach was so not fully running.

We liked it a lot, and had a lot of fun. I did do a trip report, but I don't think I finished it.

Flying would have been out of the question, since we had my Dad, but we enjoyed the whole "sea voyage" aspect.

Celebrity was okay, but there were things about it that we didn't love. My sister liked Holland America a lot better. There was one of the big NCL's in port with us, and while my nephew was very impressed with the water slides bristling off its decks, the passengers off it seemed very cranky.
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Persimmondeb. Thanks for the info on weather and activities in Bermuda. Makes me think early Summer is the best we can do, all depending on covid, of course.

I am curious to know what you didn’t love about Celebrity?
We have been on only one Celebrity cruise, the Constellation, several years ago, and did not love it either. We might have enjoyed it more, but we booked somewhat last minute and went cheap, taking an inside, guarantee cabin. We have had really good luck doing that, but the Connie has some strange deck configurations and we felt relegated to the dungeon deck. The ship was full, so no change was possible. We also thought the food was lackluster. They spent more time, IMHO, on presentation than on preparation. The entertainment was one really good show and the rest, really, truly bad. The ship, however, was beautiful. A big plus was we met up with some wonderful Fodorites on the cruise.

We loved our first Norwegian cruise, the second not so much because of the new pool and sports deck layout, which creates horrible, headache inducing, sound reverberations.

Holland America was lovely, but boring, even for me, in my 70s, so doubt it would appeal to GD and DD.

It is not easy to make everything come together, Ship, itinerary, timing, appeal to whole family and cost. At this point, however, after no vacation for so long, DH and I would take just about anything our GD might enjoy, being very aware it is a luxury many do not have. We would be appreciative of the opportunity and very grateful we can afford it.

How old was your nephew at the time? GD loved the water slides on an old, small, Carnival ship when she was ten. Her favorite thing is sitting in the pool, watching outdoor movies. Does not take much to make a little kid happy! Making the child happy makes the Nana and Granddad happy.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jan 2nd, 2022 at 10:35 PM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Thanks, Persimmondeb. Thanks for the info on weather and activities in Bermuda. Makes me think early Summer is the best we can do, all depending on covid, of course.

I am curious to know what you didn’t love about Celebrity?
We have been on only one Celebrity cruise, the Constellation, several years ago, and did not love it either. We might have enjoyed it more, but we booked somewhat last minute and went cheap, taking an inside, guarantee cabin. We have had really good luck doing that, but the Connie has some strange deck configurations and we felt relegated to the dungeon deck. The ship was full, so no change was possible. We also thought the food was lackluster. They spent more time, IMHO, on presentation than on preparation. The entertainment was one really good show and the rest, really, truly bad. The ship, however, was beautiful. A big plus was we met up with some wonderful Fodorites on the cruise.

We loved our first Norwegian cruise, the second not so much because of the new pool and sports deck layout, which creates horrible, headache inducing, sound reverberations.

Holland America was lovely, but boring, even for me, in my 70s, so doubt it would appeal to GD and DD.

It is not easy to make everything come together, Ship, itinerary, timing, appeal to whole family and cost. At this point, however, after no vacation for so long, DH and I would take just about anything our GD might enjoy, being very aware it is a luxury many do not have. We would be appreciative of the opportunity and very grateful we can afford it.

How old was your nephew at the time? GD loved the water slides on an old, small, Carnival ship when she was ten. Her favorite thing is sitting in the pool, watching outdoor movies. Does not take much to make a little kid happy! Making the child happy makes the Nana and Granddad happy.
Food and layout were the big things on Celebrity, also fewer activities than we would have expected. My nephew was nine, and he did enjoy the kid's program, which seemed to be good. I had really expected the food to be better, and was kind of shocked by how careless some of it was. Food on both Carnival and Disney was much better. I don't think they had poolside movies, although I'm not sure. That is a big thing on Disney (which is unfortunately expensive!).

Bermuda is beautiful, and it worked well for nephew (plus my Dad loved it). It is a run where line makes some difference (all those sea days, plus if you're doing shore excursions) but it functions more like transportation than most cruises, and I think the shore experience isn't very different from line to line.