Search

Anyone know if there are any transatlantic freighters allowing passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know if there are any transatlantic freighters allowing passengers

Hello,
Does anyone know if there are any freighters allowing passengers from Europe to the US?
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 04:25 PM

Wow! From luxury line to a freighter. Perhaps check out vacationstogo.com to see what other lines have cruises during the time frame you want. Do you need to arrive or depart from a particular port? Of course, one difficulty with late Winter/early Spring is that most ships are repositioning from the Caribbean To Europe, not many coming From Europe to US then. Good luck.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 04:41 PM

Don’t know about freighters, but I did look at VTG and there is nothing going from Europe to US in March except Cunard.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Hello

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Wow! From luxury line to a freighter. Perhaps check out vacationstogo.com to see what other lines have cruises during the time frame you want. Do you need to arrive or depart from a particular port? Of course, one difficulty with late Winter/early Spring is that most ships are repositioning from the Caribbean To Europe, not many coming From Europe to US then. Good luck.

Since I don't fly I just need to catch a ship. I would prefer leaving from Ukraine since that is where I am. It doesn't matter to me where it ends up as long as it's on mainland US.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 07:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is difficult but possible. This blog has links to various transatlantic freighter routes (such as from Le Harve and Rotterdam)

https://arimotravels.com/europe-to-a...ithout-flying/

Can you not fly for medical reasons or do you just not like to fly?? If you can't fly because it would be dangerous medically then you'll just have to hunt for a cabin on a freighter (or pay the high cost on Cunard). BUT if you simply don't like to fly, and if you must get to your mother in a relatively short timeframe, you might have to face your fears and book a flight and cope with it.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
It is difficult but possible. This blog has links to various transatlantic freighter routes (such as from Le Harve and Rotterdam)

Can you not fly for medical reasons or do you just not like to fly?? If you can't fly because it would be dangerous medically then you'll just have to hunt for a cabin on a freighter (or pay the high cost on Cunard). BUT if you simply don't like to fly, and if you must get to your mother in a relatively short timeframe, you might have to face your fears and book a flight and cope with it.
Thank you for sending this information. If you hear of any other transatlantic ships I would really appreciate knowing about them. I can't fly because I have a phobia about it.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 08:39 PM

You will also have the Covid rules/tests, etc. to deal with. You are in a difficult situation. Check with Cunard and see if they can give you a break on a single fare, at least not charge double.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Hello

You will also have the Covid rules/tests, etc. to deal with. You are in a difficult situation. Check with Cunard and see if they can give you a break on a single fare, at least not charge double.
​​​​​​
I kept calling them letting them know the situation but I think they could only give me a slight discount or maybe it was only paying tax on a single. The price cruise.com quoted me was a little bit less.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 09:10 PM

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...fear-of-flying.
There are many sites like this with ideas and places to get help.

Have you considered getting treatment for your phobia? There is help, psychiatrists trained in this specialty, though I do not know what is available where you live. It would make your whole life so much easier.
Would you be returning to the Ukraine or staying in the States? I ask because you will have the same problem if you are here past Spring. By the end of April or early May, the last cruises (except for Cunard) going to Europe from the US will be ending.

What is working against you is the time frame. If you were coming to the States in the Fall and returning to Europe in the Spring, it would work if there are no visa issues. If your Mother is ill now, you are stuck.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Sassafrass;17322722
There are many sites like this with ideas and places to get help.

Have you considered getting treatment for your phobia? There is help, psychiatrists trained in this specialty, though I do not know what is available where you live. It would make your whole life so much easier.
Would you be returning to the Ukraine or staying in the States? I ask because you will have the same problem if you are here past Spring. By the end of April or early May, the last cruises (except for Cunard) going to Europe from the US will be ending.

What is working against you is the time frame. If you were coming to the States in the Fall and returning to Europe in the Spring, it would work if there are no visa issues. If your Mother is ill now, you are stuck.[/QUOTE]

About a psychiatrist, I wouldn't have any idea how to find one here for that .
I will have to take care of her so will be staying in the US.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just how sick is your mother, and how urgent is this trip? Even if everything lines up, taking the train to Southampton (usual port of departure for Cunard) plus the crossing will take ten days. And that requires that you have the correct paper work and Covid tests for crossing the borders. Maybe psychiatrists are thin on the ground in Ukraine, but don't you have a primary care/general practitioner? Can't s/he give you a prescription for something like Valium so you could fly?

Also, are you a US citizen? Permanent resident?

While now is sadly hardly an ideal time to be in Ukraine, if your mother can fly and you cannot maybe she should be traveling to you and not the other way round.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Hello

I definitely can't fly and yes I have thought about taking something like that but if it wears off it will be very bad.
I am a US citizen. She won't fly either plus she can't move her legs from what I understand.I think my only hope is to try to catch the Cunard in March.If you know of anyone that might be interested in splitting it let me know please.

QUOTE=thursdaysd;17322781]Just how sick is your mother, and how urgent is this trip? Even if everything lines up, taking the train to Southampton (usual port of departure for Cunard) plus the crossing will take ten days. And that requires that you have the correct paper work and Covid tests for crossing the borders. Maybe psychiatrists are thin on the ground in Ukraine, but don't you have a primary care/general practitioner? Can't s/he give you a prescription for something like Valium so you could fly?

Also, are you a US citizen? Permanent resident?

While now is sadly hardly an ideal time to be in Ukraine, if your mother can fly and you cannot maybe she should be traveling to you and not the other way round.[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not February out of Hamburg? Inside cabins look reasonable, simpler access from Ukraine.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/find-a-cruise/M205H/M205H
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 07:33 AM

One last stab at this.
With Covid, many therapists went online and rates are not bad. So, it would not matter where you are. You could do FaceTime or zoom meetings with a therapist in New York, even. Google and you will see how many there are working that way.
I saw that this kind of phobia responds well to therapy and often needs only a short term treatment. You could try it. If it didn’t work, you have lost only a little money. If it does, your life is easier.
Some airlines have people to help with fear as you board a flight, but maybe not right now with staff shortages. You could always ask before booking. This was new to me, just read it.
If you got medicine from your GP to help, I am sure he/she would give enough for several doses to get you through.

Have you tried looking for a share on any of the FB cruise sites.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 09:00 AM

I see two relatively inexpensive cruises in February from Cunard. Either the one from London or the one from Hamburg. The single supplement is 75%.

Vacations to Go has a sort by single occupancy price list. You do have to call or email them to book, however. But the search feature is excellent and you should be able to find those prices with any other source, including directly with Cunard.

Those prices shown for February are much less than typical.

Base fares of $1223 and $1573

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 15th, 2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=thursdaysd;17322790]Why not February out of Hamburg? Inside cabins look reasonable, simpler access from Ukraine.

The one in March is from Hamburg also and I have to get vaccinated before I get on the ship. Which is harder to do here since I am a foreigner. I also have to wait in-between the shots so I am not able to make the one in February.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Hello

One last stab at this.
With Covid, many therapists went online and rates are not bad. So, it would not matter where you are. You could do FaceTime or zoom meetings with a therapist in New York, even. Google and you will see how many there are working that way.
I saw that this kind of phobia responds well to therapy and often needs only a short term treatment. You could try it. If it didn’t work, you have lost only a little money. If it does, your life is easier.
Some airlines have people to help with fear as you board a flight, but maybe not right now with staff shortages. You could always ask before booking. This was new to me, just read it.
If you got medicine from your GP to help, I am sure he/she would give enough for several doses to get you through.

Have you tried looking for a share on any of the FB cruise sites.
Thank you for the information.
I havnt heard about those cruise sites, could you please let me know which they are?
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Hello

[QUOTE=mlgb;17322830]I see two relatively inexpensive cruises in February from Cunard. Either the one from London or the one from Hamburg. The single supplement is 75%.

Vacations to Go has a sort by single occupancy price list. You do have to call or email them to book, however. But the search feature is excellent and you should be able to find those prices with any other source, including directly with Cunard.

Those prices shown for February are much less than typical.

Base fares of $1223 and $1573
​​​​​
Thank you for sending this to me. I can't go in February because I need to get my vaccine and and have to wait in-between shots so I plan to take the one from Hamburg in March.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 02:58 AM

With respect, if you have a phobia about flying you would not enjoy a transatlantic crossing on a freighter in winter, and March is winter on the north Atlantic (trust me on this.) A cruise ship would be better but really, the stress involved with getting to Hamburg and then onto a cruise ship should be taken into account. Many people dislike flying but the fact is, we are talking hours not days. And you can push your mother in a wheelchair right into the departure lounge and quite possibly to her seat.

Take a Valium and get on the plane.

As for getting vaccinated, look into having some vaccine air shipped from the States. The US Embassy may be able to advise on this, especially given the political situation.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sue_xx_yy
With respect, if you have a phobia about flying you would not enjoy a transatlantic crossing on a freighter in winter, and March is winter on the north Atlantic (trust me on this.) A cruise ship would be better but really, the stress involved with getting to Hamburg and then onto a cruise ship should be taken into account. Many people dislike flying but the fact is, we are talking hours not days. And you can push your mother in a wheelchair right into the departure lounge and quite possibly to her seat.

Take a Valium and get on the plane.

As for getting vaccinated, look into having some vaccine air shipped from the States. The US Embassy may be able to advise on this, especially given the political situation.
Thank you for the information. Yes, it can be very rough on a cargo ship in the winter but I plan to take a lot of seasick medicine.
If you have any other information please let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -