Stella Maris Resort Air Service Long Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2020, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to cancel my summer trip to Long Island due to COVID-19,emailed them multiple times asking for refund but they bluntly refused. Only offered future credit but who knows what going to happen in the future.
I called my credit card company to dispute. Do you have similar problems?
Old May 26th, 2020, 11:17 PM

No, so far not had an issue getting refunds but if I did, I would be claiming on travel insurance if the accommodation was booked well before the pandemic. The financial impact to these small islands that are closed to tourism is enormous plus it’s not long ago Bahamas was hit by a hurricane, no surprise they are offering rebooking rather than a refund.
Old May 27th, 2020, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if you booked and bought insurance before the pandemic, most insurance policies do not cover cancellations due to pandemics.
Old May 27th, 2020, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by schmerl
Even if you booked and bought insurance before the pandemic, most insurance policies do not cover cancellations due to pandemics.
My insurance company does cover Coronavirus related travel claims as long as the travel was booked before March 18, it does not cover rebookings or new bookings made after that date as the pandemic became a known and anticipated risk. If my travel insurance covers it, why not others, is it not worth mentioning or investigating?
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

The air tickets I bought are refundable if I cancel 14 days before the trip. I canceled in April my July trip to LI and asked for refund minus $75 service fee as per cancellation policy they have.They refused blaming COVID-19 island shutdown.
Old May 27th, 2020, 06:26 PM

When is your trip? Bahamas opens July 1

When was the cancel policy in affect?

If your travel is after July 1, planes are flying, resort is open, cancelation is in place, then a credit is generous

PS a chargeback in this case is considered fraud--if cancel in place, and you agreed to terms, while not morally nice it's legal. And after a chargeback, they'll withdraw the credit, so you won't even have that going for you

Old May 28th, 2020, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Odin
My insurance company does cover Coronavirus related travel claims as long as the travel was booked before March 18, it does not cover rebookings or new bookings made after that date as the pandemic became a known and anticipated risk. If my travel insurance covers it, why not others, is it not worth mentioning or investigating?
I don't know where you live.. In the US most travel insurance policies state they don't cover epidemics/pandemics. I booked my trip and got the insurance last August, long before the pandemic.
My travel insurance will cover me for medical costs related to the pandemic, but not cancellations.
This is what they sent me:
Unless someone is actually sick then a COVID-19 related reason that you can’t travel is unfortunately not a covered reason (epidemics – now a pandemic actually – are not a covered area again unless someone is sick)
Old May 28th, 2020, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Cancellation Policy:A fee of $75,– will be applied to all cancellations + 12% VAT. Deposit will be forfeit for cancellations made less than 14 days prior to arrival and less than 21 days prior to arrival for holiday periods. No Show passengers forfeit deposit.

So, if I want them to follow their own cancelation policy listed on their own web site I am committing "fraud".
Old May 29th, 2020, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

I am sorry but "Bahamas opens July 1" is very optimistic statement.
"July 1st has been identified as a key date for the country, with officials hoping to resume commercial flights by then and resuscitate the ailing economy. " The Tribune
Old May 31st, 2020, 10:52 AM

Lovebahamas, like I asked, when was/is your trip? Was it within the 14 day cancel? Did you chargeback all or subtract the &75 plus tax?
Old May 31st, 2020, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

I canceled my July trip in April and I deducted $75 as per cancellation policy listed.