SAfety in Caribbean islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok we are a retired couple that would like to go someplace warm & SAFE for a eeek in the beginning of March! I keep reading that safety is an issue on many of the islands any thoughts? We r willing to go anywhere from southern Florida to the ABC islands or Trinidad & Tobagoor anywhere in between AS LONG AS IT IS WARM & SAFE!!
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 04:59 AM

There is crime everywhere, some petty and some serious. I can't think of many places that in the Caribbean that are truly so unsafe I wouldn't go. Among the safest islands in the Caribbean are Grand Cayman, Aruba, and Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos Islands. The Out Islands of the Bahamas are also very safe. Start there and see if you find something you like. But I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere in the Caribbean. You specifically mention Trinidad, which has among the highest crime rates in the Caribbean.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 07:57 AM

If you literally want the safest Caribbean island, I would imagine it is Saba - charming, beautiful island full of flowers and quaint cottages. It does not have any beaches at all, it's a rock rising out of the sea, great for scuba, lots of history & very interesting local population, great for hiking, very good restaurants and hotels, well off, expensive, organised little island. But it is not on many people's wish list, due to the lack of beaches and very steep terrain.
St Barths is also another well off island with allegedly pretty low crime rates, same with Anguilla. The only place I would not go right now is Montego Bay.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 08:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You also can't speak to an entire island. For instance Jamaica, it's very different in urban areas (Kingston, Montego Bay) than it is in resort areas (Negril, Ocho Rios).