Exuma, Turks, or BVI

Old May 26th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exuma, Turks, or BVI

Hi, all.
I'm taking my 13 y/o on Christmas trip this year, but I'm undecided between Exuma, Turks and Caicos, and British Virgin Islands. I've only been to BVI, but that was decades ago. My daughter loves beaches, and in particular, dreaming about "blue water". From what I can gather, Exuma wins the blue water trophy, but still not sure what would be best. I don't care that much about the accommodations issue, simply which of the above would make for the best trip for a teenager. Obviously, need some activities other than just lying around the beach. Thoughts?
Thanks for your help,

Vince
Old May 26th, 2021, 11:29 PM

I would firstly check if flights are operating/entry requirements due to COVID etc and then check what the weather would be like in December/January. Personally I find the Atlantic islands too cool for swimming in winter and would head further south.For that reason alone I'd choose BVI. Mayan Riviera might be a good place for a teenager, plenty of activites and pretty decent beaches, warm weather too.

Old May 27th, 2021, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I wouldn’t have thought that would be an issue. In checking, the ave Dec temp in Exuma is 77, and a tad over 80 for BVI, so the edge goes to BVI. But 77 isn’t terrible. Just one more thing to make it more difficult to make a choice! Activity-wise, are these islands comparable? And are the bugs really that bad for all of them?
Old May 27th, 2021, 04:16 AM

It's up to you if you are ok with the sea temps in winter. Air temps are not an issue although a few degrees warmer would be my preference. I found it too cold to be comfortable for any period of time in the water. A teenager might not care. I don't know about activities for a teenager in those islands, most things are based around the water. As for bugs, they are all over the tropics, take DEET and you'll be ok, make sure it is applied early evenings and mornings. There are probably less of them in the cooler months.
Old May 27th, 2021, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think there are a lot of activities other than snorkeling, etc. for teenagers.
I agree the Mexican Riviera would offer more activities and warmer weather.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:30 PM

We used to go to Turks and Caicos as a family in January almost every year. But within the last several years, the weather has become very
unpredictable in December and January. And the water can be cold. I would go further south if you want to enjoy the beach and hopefully
better weather.