Eleuthera Trip Report...

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eleuthera Trip Report...

Hello travel friends, last May I traveled to Eleuthera and Harbour island in The Bahamas...you will find my trip report and photos at this link http://www.nbhtravel.info/eleuthera.html

Eleuthera was an incredible destination, as was Harbour island, and I thoroughly enjoyed each place...hope you enjoy the report!
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Gorgeous photos- thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your trip report. One can only wonder what is happening to that beautiful place today with Irene.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Great report with pictures. I want to visit Eleuthera and Harbor Island in the near future.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:23 PM

Velodurt,
Thank you for sharing! Your photos are incredible! What kind of camera do you use? Eleu/Harbor Island is on our "to do list" one day, and it looks like you did exactly the kind of vaca we would like! Glad you enjoyed it! If you're looking for another island similar to explore, look into Long Island, Bahamas. A lot of your pictures and story reminded me of LI
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:11 PM

kellybeaches- are you watching the Bahamas forums about Hurricane Irene? The roof blew off that beautiful church in Clarence Town and I think the island got hit pretty hard- I hope everyone is ok- the island is really beautiful.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:48 PM

Ish,
I've been watching closely via FB statuses. We actually made it out of Provo just in time. We left Sunday late afternoon and they closed the airport Monday. And I've been following Staniel Cay on FB-they got some damage too. That's so sad to hear about the church in Clarence town. It's a beautiful church. I really hope everyone is okay. CSM evacuated prior to Irene hitting (minus 2 people who held down the fort). From what I can tell on FB they fared okay. Now we're bracing for it to hit us Sat night/Sunday. Yikes! Hope everyone stays safe.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:22 PM

kellybeaches, sorry to hear you are going to have an Irene visit. Keep your head down and stay safe!!
From everything I can find out it seems like the Abacos, Exumas and Eleuthera fared better than I thought (I was really fearing horrible and insurmountable destruction- Katrina-esque) - certainly it is not good news but as the reports from the islands seem to be saying "it could have been worse" (loss of life, total devastation of towns and communities). I am afraid Cat Island and some of the more southern areas were hit much, much harder. I hope they are all alright. I am reading all I can get my hands on and hoping the best for them.
Again, take care of yourself!
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Thanks Ish! Where are you located? Everyone in PA, NJ, DE, and MD that I know are taking it as a "Katrina" visit, with all shore properties under mandatory evacuations (our parents and friends have beach properties). It's very unnerving. The lines at the gas stations today were 10 cars deep, and the lines to get water, milk or batteries were insane. I guess I'll just have to spend tomorrow hunkering down and working on my Provo trip report til we lose power, my guess would be for at minimum a few days. I'm praying for everyone's safety! We've never been faced with a storm of this calibur during my lifetime. We boarded up our office, moved around furniture, etc. and let everyone go early. Now to pray it veers out to sea.
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Gorgeous pics! I loved your report.

Your Curacao report was the reason we visited Curacao a few years back... Now I'll have to visit eleuthra...what a beautful place!

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 02:26 PM

kellybeaches- we live on the Alabama gulf coast. The rush for supplies and lines for gas can be very frustrating- be sure to get cash, too- that one is a biggie for afterwards.
Stay safe- we are thinking about y'all! I do look forward to reading your report once you post it- sorry your trip was cut short or ended on a frantic note.
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 05:57 PM

velodurt-
Sorry, did not mean to hijack you. Like I said, I absolutely loved your report and photos and I know I have read your reports before- I just can't remember if it was about Culebra or maybe Staniel Cay- was it one of those??? Whether it was one of those or somewhere else we traveled after reading your reports (maybe even BVI?), you do such a wonderful job of showing and telling about your experiences!
Also, I wanted to tell you how amazing my husband and I both found your photos- especially of places like Lighthouse. We were there once- maybe 2008 in April and it as incredibly rough seas and wind- it was even more turbulent on the "calm" side than it was on the Atlantic- we rented a house in NPP on the Atlantic- had a great trip but the weather made snorkeling impossible and the water was actually very, very cold for us- it seemed to have been a freak time but we were disappointed. To see flat, calm seas in May for you was encouraging as we like to travel in May- my husband has always wanted to give Eleuthera another chance but I am always wanting to try another place on my bucket list. Maybe we should try again- we loved everything but the lack of swimming, snorkeling we had on that trip. He would go back for the GH Friday night fish fry alone- it was lots of fun.
Thanks again for your beautiful photos and well written report!! Happy travels!
PS Was it a Culebra report?? I am dying to remember!
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the kind replies...so glad you enjoyed the report and photos!

Kellybeaches - I currently shoot with the Canon 50D. So glad you liked the photo gallery

Greenie - That is so cool! Wow, thanks for letting me know our report helped you make travel plans! That makes my day!

ishkribbl - no problem, I didn't feel hijacked at all...I too wondered what the hurricane had in store for the island and the friends we made while there. Hope they fared ok.
Thanks so much for the compliment - it could have been either Staniel Cay or Culebra, I have posted trip reports for both islands I truly appreciate the positive feedback either way.
That is so crazy about the seas when you visited... I had a similar thing happen when we went to Curacao. Thankfully it cleared up at the end of the trip though. You should def give Eleuthera another run...Lighthouse Beach is stunning under ideal conditions!

Many thanks and Happy travels to you all!
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 04:16 PM

Ish, we came out just fine through Irene (whew!). We didn't even lose power amazingly!

Velodurt,
Oooh! I'm so glad you have Staniel Cay on your site too. Love that TR too! We're heading there in June 2013 (yes, we plan far in advance . I can't wait! Eleuthera is another one on our future list. It looks like you have been to quite a few beautiful places! I'll have to read through some other TR's of yours. Your photos are all amazing! Where are you off to next?
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM

Great trip report. Thanks for posting. We've been to Eleu twice and love it there. We have not made it to lighthouse beach yet and I think we'll have to go back just for that based on your pics. Our daughter loved Alabaster bay because of all the shells. Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

kellybeaches thanks again, glad you enjoyed the SC report...I hope to have that page updated to my new website format soon ;-)
My next destination is Colorado to climb Mt Elbert(state highpoint)and hopefully photograph the fall color. If you enjoy hiking check out my other website www.naturalbornhikers.com Any destinations planned before/after Staniel Cay?

mnag thanks for your post...always nice to know someone was made happy by my website
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM

Velodurt, Colorado will be a great trip too I'm sure! Our next trip is booked for St. John in June, and I believe we're going to tack on a couple nights on JVD too. We rented this villa: www.islandstonesstjohn.com. I can't wait! Oh, I loved your Costa Rica TR too -it looks amazing there!
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Loved the photography!

Perry J. / www.eleuthera-map.com