Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

DR Samana Peninsula transportation for solo travelr?

Old Feb 11th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there! I've done a bit of research and based on flight cost and affordable hostels/hotels I keep getting drawn back to the Dominican Republic, especially the Samana Peninsula! I haven't purchased my flight yet, as I'm still not sure as the easiest way to travel on the island. Everything I've heard is that driving on DR is very dangerous (although, I'm willing to rent a car if that's mostly a myth)

So my questions:
Has anyone traveled to Samana from Puerto Plata or Santa Domingo?
I'm on a budget, so would rather public transit or an organized ride share, but I'm having a hard time finding ANYTHING that isn't a private car.
Is driving REALLY that bad?

Should I look elsewhere and just stay near Puerto Plata? (I'm hoping for beach days and a few hikes, nothing all inclusive and safe for a solo female traveler)

Thanks all,
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 02:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you say "back to" ... you've been to the DR before? I did two trips (too long ago to be useful to you other than in a very general way). First one flew into Santo Domingo and bused up to Puerto Plata. The other flew into Puerto Plata and taxi'd out to Sosua. Unless things have changed a LOT, neither would be trips I would be comfortable doing alone (and I travel twice a year to Mexico by myself so not that I'm cowardly or generally fearful).