Search

Best Caribbean Island for Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Caribbean Island for Honeymoon

Hello!

My fiancé and I are getting married next June and are trying to decide on a honeymoon destination in the Caribbean. Our main desire is to lounge on the beach and not have tons of people around. Wildlife and pretty reefs are a plus. Some additional activities are great and we would love an island with mountains, but it is not a requirement. I have a list of some we have looked into, but no idea how to choose. We would also be open to other suggestions. Any input would be great!

Cayman Islands

Bermuda

The British Virgin Islands

Turks and Caicos

St Lucia

US Virgin Islands

Guadeloupe

St. Kitts and Nevis

Barbados

Grenada

St. Barts
Old May 13th, 2018, 05:35 PM

Well, you’ve selected a variety of islands that are quite different from one another. The easiest way for us to help narrow down your choices is to first tell us the following:

1). Where are you traveling from and how long you are willing to travel to reach your destination? Also tell us if you are willing to take one or more connecting flights and/ or ferries to get to your destination. How long a trip are you planning?

2). What type of budget do you have? It would help if you broke the budget down between airfare, accommodations, food and activities. Give specific dollar range not some nebulous term like “affordable” or “not too expensive”.

3). Since you can relax on a beach just about anywhere tell us what other activities might interest you.

4). Does your requirement for beautiful reefs mean that scuba diving and snorkeling are important to you?
Old May 13th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

I know it is a variety I have never been anywhere in the Caribbean so I am having a hard time narrowing down the options and choosing.

1). Where are you traveling from and how long you are willing to travel to reach your destination? Also tell us if you are willing to take one or more connecting flights and/ or ferries to get to your destination. How long a trip are you planning?
We will be traveling from Nashville, TN and are willing to take connecting flights. We would prefer as few flights as possible though. We are also willing to take a ferry, if need be. All in all I think we would like flights and traveling to be no more than 8 hours (not including times between flights).

2). What type of budget do you have? It would help if you broke the budget down between airfare, accommodations, food and activities. Give specific dollar range not some nebulous term like “affordable” or “not too expensive”.
I would say max budget of around $6,000-$8,000. Because I've never traveled out of the country, I am honestly not sure how to realistically break the budget down into categories.

3). Since you can relax on a beach just about anywhere tell us what other activities might interest you.
Seeing wildlife is definitely a plus for us, we like mountains and enjoy hiking to waterfalls, and horseback riding. A more secluded area is important to us. We don't like overly packed beaches or areas. I can tell you that we are not huge thrill seekers. We would not be interested in zip lining or anything of that nature.

4). Does your requirement for beautiful reefs mean that scuba diving and snorkeling are important to you?
Beautiful reefs is not an absolute requirement. I have read that St. Lucia and St. Kitts & Nevis do not have great reefs, but if they still have a lot of wildlife to see and other great things, I think we would be willing to look past the fact that they don't have great reefs to see. We have never been scuba diving or snorkeling so it would be a great experience. I think we would be more comfortable snorkeling than full on scuba diving, if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much for your response and any help!
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:56 AM

Every island in your list has pros & cons as far as your wish list is concerned:

Grand Cayman - gorgeous 7 Mile beach, have never seen loads of people in the sea on any of my visits except around Rum Point, maybe people can’t swim, maybe people like the pool better, who knows. Scuba and snorkelling are first class, no mountains, it is a dry flat arid island with wonderful beaches, hotels and restaurants.

Bermuda is as pretty as a picture, beautiful pink sand, small beaches, clear water, good diving and snorkelling, no mountains, lush & green island not in the Caribbean, should be warm enough by June for sea swimming. Wonderful honeymoon destination.

T&C - going next month for the first time, expect wonderful beaches, swimming and diving which is what we want (if the winds ease up), not expecting much in terms of sightseeing, culture or local food/dishes, expect dry arid island with main attraction being the water.

St Lucia - tropical lush island with dark volcanic sand in the south, the Pitons, good diving and snorkelling around Anse Chastenet, gorgeous hotels, in the north, a younger vibe, beige coloured sand and a bit more happening. It is a beautiful island, much more real than sanitised Grand Cayman or Bermuda

Guadeloupe - one of my favourite islands, not sure I’d recommend for a first timer to the islands on their honeymoon though, the French aspect seems to be scary, when it is a bonus IMO. French island, mostly French speaking, has everything you ask for, great scuba & snorkelling, white sand beaches, mountainous interior with many hiking, horse riding & cycling opportunities, huge National Park with many waterfalls, bird life, upscale hotels - not many but there are very nice romantic properties eg Le Jardin Malanga, great food etc. Several close by islands to visit as day trips eg Marie Galante, Les Saintes, La Désirade.

Barbados - wonderful beaches on the calm west coast of St James and St Peter, great hotels, great restaurants, wild and windy east coast, scuba & snorkelling not bad but not great. Great intro island to newbies visiting the Caribbean. No mountains but numerous historical sights to visit.

Grenada - another island with everything, white sand beaches, mountainous interior, great hotels and restaurants, perfect island, friendly locals, highly recommended.

St Barth - hilly but dry arid island, it is chic, expensive and gorgeous, if the budget doesn’t cover Eden Rock, at least have some meals and/or cocktails there. Very French but English widely spoken , reminds me of a tropical St Tropez. Wonderful for a honeymoon. Easy to get to from St Martin.
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. John in the US Virgin Islands would be great for your honeymoon. It is lush and has great beaches. Most of the island is a National park so the island is not built up like some of the others. Great snorkeling, mountains, laid back atmosphere.
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:11 AM

Wildlife on most Caribbean islands mainly consists of goats, sheep, chickens and pigs that locals allow to roam free until they are ready to be sent to the local abattoir for slaughter. Some islands have free roaming donkeys, a few have monkeys and, of course, there are a wide variety of birds and some lizards. The more lush mountainous islands will generally have a larger variety than the flatter aired islands. If you are looking for lots of "exotic" wildlife you really need to go to places like Costa Rica, the Amazon or Africa. I wouldn't worry too much about wildlife and certainly don't let it be the deciding factor on choosing the final destination for your honeymoon. The reality is you'll be bound to see some "wildlife" on just about all the islands you are considering with the possible exception of Bermuda.

Odin gave you an excellent summary of the islands you are considering so that should help you narrow your choices.

If you really look at your list and count all the islands in the U.S. & British Virgin islands as separate destinations you have more than 20 different places and that's why you are so confused. While many of the "experts" here have visited a number of the islands it has taken us years to accomplish the task. The truth is, you'll probably be happy with any of the islands you've listed. After all, you'll be on your honeymoon.

Now for some practical help, based on your responses to my follow-up questions you probably find the hilly/mountainous island will have more of what you are seeking than the flatter arid islands. So, for starters do more research on St. Lucia, Nevis, Grenada and Barbados as they come closest to filling most of the items on your wish list. If those don't tickle your fancy move on to the British Virgin Islands or St. John in the US Virgin Islands but be mindful that those islands were severely damaged by the recent hurricanes and are still in a state of recovery. While they may be back "closer to normal" by next June it is something you should be aware of.

Remember there's no right or wrong destination - only different islands and no two are alike. That's the beauty of the Caribbean. You can visit them time and time again and have new and wonderful experiences every time you go.

Lastly, with a budget of $6,000 to $8,000 you'll have plenty of choices.

Pick your island, then work on choosing your resort.

Good luck.
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:20 AM

We honeymooned (15 years ago) at Nisbet Plantation on Nevis and really enjoyed the resort and the island in general. Quiet, gracious, lovely with different things to do. There are a variety of plantation inns to choose from -- Nisbet is the only one directly on the beach. We got a breakfast and dinner meal plan which made things easy. The same ownership group also manages The Reefs on Bermuda, I believe, which also gets great reviews.

We love St. John, and the island is bouncing back well. When we went in February, the beaches were deserted. The challenge there is where to stay -- the Westin and Caneel Bay are closed. People like Gallows Point though it has always been too expensive for us. Maybe there will be a good summer deal. Get a jeep and explore countless gorgeous beaches, most of which are still beautiful and what you're probably imagining when you think "Caribbean beach."

St. Lucia is also lush, gorgeous, and as others have said, more "wild" and more exotic in feel. A special place.
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tensing Pen Hotel | Boutique Destination Resort in Jamaica

I'm not sure how close it comes to your desires, and you didn't even mention Jamaica, but I always thought this would make a great place for a honeymoon.... Tensing Pen in Negril.
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Odin,Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Guadeloupe and Grenada sound great. Do you mind me asking why you describe it as scary?

Thank you to everyone for all of the information! It is very helpful in making a decision. My list was definitely too vast

RoamsAround, I appreciate all of your insight so much as well! We can't wait for our first trip to the Caribbean.

Warm Wishes!
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:50 AM

Scary is probably not the right word. The French aspect seems to make some people uncomfortable or out of their comfort zone. Maybe it’s lack of language skills. That’s all. If you have some school level French you’ll be fine, after all Americans go to Paris and love it, doubt they are all fluent French speakers.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...uadeloupe.html

Renting a car will give you the chance to explore both sides of the island. Being part of France, the roads are in good condition. French supermarkets are great too, easy to buy wine, baguettes, cheese etc. Area around Ste Anne has white sand beaches & clear water, the area around Deshaies is more lush/green and the sand is beige. The BBC crime fiction series Death in Paradise is filmed in and around Deshaies, if you want to see how the landscape is, you might be able to find an episode on YouTube.

Grenada is also wonderful but doesn’t have a great expanse of rainforest to the same level as Guadeloupe. It does have one however and you can take trips to see nutmeg plantations etc.

I’ve not mentioned USVI/BVI or St Kitts & Nevis as I haven’t been but they are on my list, esp Montpelier Plantation.
Old May 15th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the clarification! I’ll just have to look into Grenada, Guadeloupe, Nevis, and St. Lucia more to make my decision. I think I’ve narrowed it down to those four with everyone’s help!
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Hello again!

Have any of you stayed at Ladera, Ti Kaye, or Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia? Those are currently our top contenders and we having a hard time choosing.

Ladera has beautiful views. It is my fiance's favorite because of the views, but seems far from the beach (and I think the beach it is on is not a good one for scuba diving, but I could be wrong).

Ti Kaye is currently my favorite because it is so close to the beach and seems like it would be much more secluded than the other two. I am just unsure whether or not Anse Cochon Cove is as good of a snorkeling spot or as nice of a beach as the beach Anse Chastanet is on. The beach area also looks like it may be very small. The fact the rooms have A/C is a big plus.

Anse Chastanet is beautiful and also close the the beach that is considered best for St. Lucia snorkeling. I am worried that Anse Chastanet beach will be crowded due to its popularity and it being more easy to access then Anse Cochon. I also don't like that not even breakfast is included in the price like the others.. maybe I am being picky here

I would love input from anyone who has been to any of these resorts.. Even better if you've been to more than one!

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by leannawalker; Jun 22nd, 2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Left out a part
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 08:36 PM

There’s always trade offs when choosing resorts. The three you are considering are all very nice.

The island won’t be crowded in June so your concerns about too many people on Anse Chastenet’s beach are unfounded. So, if you can live with the fact that rates do not include breakfast it’s a great choice.

I’m not a diver so can’t comment about your concern about the proximity of dive sites at Ladera but generally speaking most dive operators take you to spots that are a “boat ride away” from their home base so I doubt that will be a major issue wherever you stay.

You’ll be happy with any of those three resorts- this is you honeymoon so it comes down to your choice.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 05:17 AM

Odin—thoughts on TCI?
Curious as not the typical island you seek—
hope your trip was fantastic!
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 12:59 PM

leanna: We had dinner at Ladera on one trip. Stayed at https://www.fonddouxresort.com/ on another. I absolutely love southern St Lucia. Loved Fond Doux as it is a working flower, fruit, and cocoa plantation. It is old-time Caribbean, 3rd or 4th generation family owned and operated. They deeply love the land. No, it isn't on a beach, but neither is Ladera or Jade Mountain. To me St Lucia is all about the mountains, the hot springs, and the people.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by blamona
Odin—thoughts on TCI?
Curious as not the typical island you seek—
hope your trip was fantastic!
Had a fab time, Grace Bay was beautiful, walked a potcake, weather was great, winds were perfect, diving was great, went with Flamingo, Caicos Adventures & Turtle Divers, first 2 operators were very good. West Caicos water was stunning, some lovely hotels for sure. Very easy place for a tourist, with Graceway supermarket etc and other amenities. No British feel at all, except driving on the left, all feels very American. Nothing wrong with that. I don’t have a typical island! I love them all and want to see as many as possible. Had some great meals.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 06:47 AM

Odin - Thanks for the recent info on Turks and Caicos. We are going to Providenciales exactly one week from today and staying at a lovely little villa in Sapodilla Bay. I absolutely cannot wait and will report back. We haven't been in 15 years and are looking forward to celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary.
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by leannawalker
Hello!

My fiancé and I are getting married next June and are trying to decide on a honeymoon destination in the Caribbean. Our main desire is to lounge on the beach and not have tons of people around. Wildlife and pretty reefs are a plus. Some additional activities are great and we would love an island with mountains, but it is not a requirement. I have a list of some we have looked into, but no idea how to choose. We would also be open to other suggestions. Any input would be great!

Cayman Islands

Bermuda

The British Virgin Islands

Turks and Caicos

St Lucia

US Virgin Islands

Guadeloupe

St. Kitts and Nevis

Barbados

Grenada

St. Barts
Hi! Hope you can tell us your experience and where you finally decided to go for your honeymoon
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi!

We haven’t gone yet. We go next June. We did pick the Soufriere area of St. Lucia. We narrowed it down to St. Lucia, Grenada, and Nevis. I think any of those would be great for what we were looking for