Search

Beach towns?

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2021, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach towns?

Hi

I'm looking for a destination that is similar to Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta which I both enjoyed a lot... The goal is to be able to rent an apartment that is walking distance to the beach, restaurants, grocery, some shopping, gym, etc. It doesn't have to be a big city like the two that I mentioned, it could be a small town but with enough things to do and visit in the area.

I am interested in somewhere different than Mexico or Florida, so ideally it would be somewhere in the Caribbean or in Central America. During my research I have come across places like Aruba, Guadeloupe, Tamarindo (Costa Rica), Barbados, Puerto Rico, etc. but I have a feeling that they are much more expensive than Mexico? The budget would also play a factor as I don't want to feel that it's costing me double the price for the apartment, food, etc.

So overall I'm interesting in a beach town where everything is walking distance and not too expensive... If someone has suggestions or could compare some of the destinations that I mentioned it would be appreciated... Thanks
Old May 28th, 2021, 02:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My most often go-to place is Puerto Vallarta Mexico. In the Caribbean, Negril Jamaica is my favorite of the places I've been there (including USVI, Dominican Republic, Jamaica). And yes it's all more expensive than Mexico -lol- double is about right. And I am a budget traveler.

https://www.negrilonestop.com/
This website will give you an idea if Negril might be right for you.
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:01 AM

What exactly in terms of actual dollars are you willing to spend to get what you want?? Most Caribbean islands have accommodations in or near towns with beaches, grocery stores, and restaurants within walking distance. Without knowing what type of “budget” you have it is difficult to make meaningful recommendations. In my experience you can generally find accommodations and restaurant options in a variety of price ranges anywhere in the world.
Old May 29th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
My most often go-to place is Puerto Vallarta Mexico. In the Caribbean, Negril Jamaica is my favorite of the places I've been there (including USVI, Dominican Republic, Jamaica). And yes it's all more expensive than Mexico -lol- double is about right. And I am a budget traveler.

https://www.negrilonestop.com/
This website will give you an idea if Negril might be right for you.
Thanks, I think I would prefer a beach destination that is more a real town with a lot to visit and do, Negril does seem to have an excellent beach though!
Old May 29th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoamsAround
What exactly in terms of actual dollars are you willing to spend to get what you want?? Most Caribbean islands have accommodations in or near towns with beaches, grocery stores, and restaurants within walking distance. Without knowing what type of “budget” you have it is difficult to make meaningful recommendations. In my experience you can generally find accommodations and restaurant options in a variety of price ranges anywhere in the world.
Usually in Playa del Carmen I find many very good Airbnb apartments at walking distance from the beach, restaurants, grocery and everything else at around $50 per night. Grocery and restaurants don't cost much either once you're there, definitely cheaper than Canada. But the budget is something I will have to figure out myself so right now I'm just trying to narrow it down to a few interesting beach town destinations and then it's going to depend on what deals I find... Thanks...

Last edited by user_3939; May 29th, 2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:23 PM

I think I would prefer a beach destination that is more a real town

Then why not go back to Puerto Vallarta?

Negril does have small downtown area but you're right that is not the draw. And it's not only the beach, the Cliffs and West End Road are fantastic too. It doesn't feel like anyplace else I've ever been. Jamaica is wild.

Waikiki is my other kind of honkey-tonk beach destination that is a lot of fun. But Hawaii's still under quite a few Covid Pandemic restrictions at this time. And rooms are definitely more than $50/night.
Old May 29th, 2021, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
I think I would prefer a beach destination that is more a real town

Then why not go back to Puerto Vallarta?

Negril does have small downtown area but you're right that is not the draw. And it's not only the beach, the Cliffs and West End Road are fantastic too. It doesn't feel like anyplace else I've ever been. Jamaica is wild.

Waikiki is my other kind of honkey-tonk beach destination that is a lot of fun. But Hawaii's still under quite a few Covid Pandemic restrictions at this time. And rooms are definitely more than $50/night.
I have been 5 different times to Mexico spending around 3 months in total and even though I love both PDC and PV I'm trying to visit a new country. I wouldn't mind going back to Mexico obviously but I feel that I need to also have a new adventure and new discoveries... I have thought of Hawaii but I agree that it's considerably more expensive in both lodging and food and also the plane cost too as I would be leaving from Montreal... That's why I'm aiming for somewhere in the Caribbean... It would be for next winter early 2022 so I'm not worried about restrictions as I'm sure they will change by then...

Last edited by user_3939; May 29th, 2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old May 29th, 2021, 08:12 PM

Hawaii does not have to be expensive once you are there. Just depends how you spend your time. I actually spend more on food and drinks in PV than I do in Waikiki. I'm in Seattle so Hawaii is a lot easier than the Caribbean.

I've been to Mexico 30+ times, probably a couple years in total -lol.
Old May 30th, 2021, 06:39 AM

Grand Case in St Martin is a town which has a long strip of restaurants, apartments right along the beach and is a real (small) town with supermarkets, French bakeries and all sort of shops. There are all kinds of places to eat, from nice restaurants to gritty local ones serving north African food and local lolos. It was hit badly by a hurricane a few years back so what I am describing is before that and I don't know how they have recovered, but it is a few years now. The apartment we stayed in on Grand Case beach was great, very inexpensive, great owner. It was almost "pieds dans l'eau". I have no idea if there is a gym there but there will be plenty to do on the island, Philipsburg on the Dutch side could be another town to consider.

You could find many real towns to stay in in Martinique or Guadeloupe. A bit of French would be required. Deshaies or Saint Francois in Guadeloupe, Trois Illets or St Pierre in Martinique, St Lawrence Gap in Barbados, Rodney Bay in St Lucia, St George in Grenada which is very attractive town.

Old May 30th, 2021, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balthy
Grand Case in St Martin is a town which has a long strip of restaurants, apartments right along the beach and is a real (small) town with supermarkets, French bakeries and all sort of shops. There are all kinds of places to eat, from nice restaurants to gritty local ones serving north African food and local lolos. It was hit badly by a hurricane a few years back so what I am describing is before that and I don't know how they have recovered, but it is a few years now. The apartment we stayed in on Grand Case beach was great, very inexpensive, great owner. It was almost "pieds dans l'eau". I have no idea if there is a gym there but there will be plenty to do on the island, Philipsburg on the Dutch side could be another town to consider.

You could find many real towns to stay in in Martinique or Guadeloupe. A bit of French would be required. Deshaies or Saint Francois in Guadeloupe, Trois Illets or St Pierre in Martinique, St Lawrence Gap in Barbados, Rodney Bay in St Lucia, St George in Grenada which is very attractive town.
Thanks a lot, this is what I'm looking for. I'm going to have a lot of research to do on these options!
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check out Puerto Rico as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -