Vancouver hotels

Old Sep 20th, 2022, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver hotels

I am looking for advice on Vancouver hotels. We are planning to go for a long weekend just before Christmas. I currently have a room reserved at Shangri La and Fairmont Waterfront.

good location, a view would be nice, quiet rooms and good service are the important things to us. A good bar is also a plus but we aren’t looking for a big bar scene from the hotel bar. We aren’t planning to visit the spa on this visit.

We don’t plan to rent a car while there. I want a hotel that will be within walking distance of Stanley Park and the Christmas markets and easy to get transportation to other activities.

We will likely head to Capilano for the lights and also Van Dusen gardens (also for the lights). May be Grouse Mtn for snowshoeing (maybe not). We just want to enjoy some Christmas atmosphere, my husband will want to sample local beer and food is always important (simple or special doesn’t matter to us). Maybe the market on Granville Island market for lunch one day.

Any thoughts on either property? Any other suggestions? I ruled out JW Marriott because of the area it’s in. Online, the Westin’s rooms didn’t look like much. It looks like the other Fairmont hotel might be nicer but it’s hard to tell.

it’s been several years since I have been to Vancouver and I don’t know the hotels.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 01:45 PM

I’m sure Fodorites with more knowledge than I regarding Vancouver will respond to your question however, I thought I would make a suggestion.

I wonder if you have looked at the Wedgewood Hotel on Hornby Ave. and if it might suit your needs (unless you are hoping to use points
at one of the chains):
https://www.wedgewoodhotel.com/?utm_...usinesslisting

A disclaimer to my suggestion: We haven’t actually managed to stay at the hotel but did have a reservation which had to be cancelled (not really the same thing, I know!).

I’m interested to read the responses to your question, as we’ve often wondered the same thing.
T
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

I hope someone will comment on Wedgewood. It does look like a lovely property and generally gets positive reviews. I appreciate the reply.
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 01:58 PM

My immediate thought was the Fairmont Pacific Rim. It has a fantastic bar in the lobby, waterfront views, it's newer, stylish, right on the waterfront on the seawall, walking distance to Stanley Park and steps away from the shuttle bus to Capilano. The German Christmas Market also takes place nextdoor.

For something a tad quieter, the Westin Bayshore is literally next door to Stanley Park and the restaurants near Denman and Robson, but has unobstructed waterfront views and feels more resort-like.

The Opus Hotel in Yaletown might be another option for you to consider. It's a boutique hotel, surrounded by excellent restaurants, cafes, and bars, but also a block from the seawall and across the street from the Canada Line station if you want to b-line yourself into the heart of downtown shopping districts or Waterfront Station where you can hop on the shuttle to Capilano. And if the weather is lousy, you'll love having the station literally across the street from your hotel.

Local beer you can find everywhere, but definitely but the Alibi Room and The Magnet on your list. There are dozens of craft breweries in the city, but the best ones are all in East Vancouver:

https://bcaletrail.ca/ale-trails/yeast-vancouver/
https://bcaletrail.ca/ale-trails/bre...eek-vancouver/
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Oh wow BC_Robyn—excellent info. I appreciate it. So many choices and all of them sound like good ones.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by denisea
I hope someone will comment on Wedgewood. It does look like a lovely property and generally gets positive reviews. I appreciate the reply.
I haven't stayed at the Wedgwood but have had their afternoon tea which was really good!

I just spent a night 2 weeks ago at the Fairmont Pacific Rim, it's a lovely hotel albeit not cheap but did include valet parking. We had a view room looking out at the north shore mountains and the seaplane terminal; so fun to see the float planes taking off and landing. I treated my friend for her birthday, we had breakfast in the hotel as well and it was delicious. The bar downstairs had live music the night we were there. ( a Sunday night)
Our room was big and had everything you needed, very comfortable beds, bathtub and separate shower, was really nice. They have bikes you can use if you wanted to ride to Stanley Park, also an outdoor pool which I guess will be closed when you come. I think this location is great, you can walk to the park, you can easily walk up to Pacific Centre mall and Nordstroms, Holt Renfrew etc - only a few blocks away. There are good restaurants close by like Nightingale and Riley's (Riley's is very expensive, food was good but personally found it a bit $$, however it is kitty corner from the hotel so handy)
Le Crocodile on Burrard St is not too far away, about a 15 minute walk straight up Burrard St from your hotel. Really delicious French Alsatian food, it's an institution in Vancouver.

For van Dusen gardens you could take a taxi, same for Granville island unless you wanted a long walk to the ferry dock at the Aquatic centre ( close to the foot of Burrard St. about 30 minute walk) and then take the little ferry over. It's a short ferry ride.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 09:10 AM

I haven't stayed at the Wedgewood either, but the location is perfectly fine in the heart of downtown next to the art gallery and courthouse, steps away from the shops on Robson Street. It's traditional, old fashioned (but in a good way) and cozy, with doormen wearing top hats. Feels like a hotel you might find in Ireland, for example. The Bacchus Lounge is a beloved wine bar and afternoon tea destination, has dark wood interior, velvet armchairs, old fashioned floral rugs, a fireplace with mantelpiece, large oversized floral bouquets, etc. Very cozy English sitting room parlour type ambiance. The hotel gets excellent reviews but I have never stayed there. But I wouldn't hesistate to stay there, especially in winter when you want cozy.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info. Good to have lots of choices and I am sure we’ll be happy no matter what we decide.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 04:12 PM

Yeah, you really can't go wrong. And honestly all these hotels can be walked to from one another. It's really about the ambiance you want. Sleek and sexy and contemporary on the water? Fairmont Pacific Rim. Sleek and sexy and in the heart of lively restaurants? The Opus. Old world regal cozy in the heart of late night Christmas shopping hustle and bustle? The Wedgewood. Contemporary but quieter, surrounded by parkland and waterfront and a harbour full of yachts? The Westin Bayshore. I'd be happy to stay at all of them!
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

It’s a great problem to have and I can’t decide. May let my husband weigh in and rule out one or two!
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 10:16 AM

Have a look at l'Hermitage hotel, it is in the very center of th ecity. The Vancouver Art Gallery and Queen Elizabeth Theater are within a 10 minute walk of the hotel.