Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver and Vancover Island in 4 nights

Old Jun 12th, 2022, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Hoping you could provide some recommendations for an upcoming trip to Vancouver end of August. My wife and I (from Boston) are in our 60's and love beautiful scenery, nice walks, hikes, and local casual restaurants. We plan to fly into Vancouver and have 4 nights. We want to spend some time on Vancouver Island as well. We prefer that atmosphere more than City and are not musuem seekers. I actually have been to Vancouver in the past and the City is beautiful. Based on google searches for best sites , Stanley Park, the Capilano suspenson bridge park, Vancouver Island (Victoria) , Long Beach, and Whistler sound appealing. I know that is trying to fit alot in a very short time. So, if our primary goal is to enjoy the outdoor scenery (walks, hikes, bike trails) and local food what would you suggest for this trip? After the 4 nights we plan to go to Seattle and your recommendation on how to best go there would also be greatly appreciated. Our preference is not to fly there. We do plan on renting a car in Vancouver if suggested. Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 04:10 PM

For the trip down to Seattle, we have always enjoyed the train (Amtrak). It's relaxing, inexpensive, and there are some nice scenic stretches, unlike the drive. At one point, you'll see a bunch of eagles mixed in with seagulls along the shore. Try to sit on the righthand side for the best view of them.

With your short timeline, I'd skip Whistler. Also, Vancouver has a really excellent public transportation system, so a car would not likely be necessary. Just an expense to park and struggle to find a parking spot.

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge is near the Capilano Suspension Bridge. But it's free and more of a nature park vs. a theme park. I'd recommend it either in addition to, or a replacement for, Capilano. https://lynncanyon.ca/information/

I'll also suggest VanDusen Botanical Garden https://vandusengarden.org/ and perhaps the Queen Elizabeth Park https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreatio...beth-park.aspx

Local food - so many great restaurants. We always hit Rodneys Oyster House and Joe Fortes (great rooftop garden seating area) for seafood.

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. Based on other feedback as well we have come to terms that we will not be able to fit everything in with such a short time. So, our current thoughts are to plan the Pacific Rim National Park for a separate vacation. Our kids would love to do that so we'll hopefully go next summer.

Excellent input regarding the Capilano hanging bridge. I didn't realize that it was like a theme park. I'm with you regarding more of a nature park.

Our latest thoughts are to fly to Vancouver, stay 3 nights, visit Stanley Park, Whistler (I really want go there) and one day for whaever and then take the ferry over to Victoria for 2 nights and then the ferry to Seattle. I think we will try and skip a rental car and just uber along.

But all is subject to change based on feedback.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 07:00 AM

I neglected to mention Grouse Mountain. Take a look at their website and see if that might interest you also. We usually catch the "birds in motion" demonstration, the lumberjack show (a little cheesy but you gotta see it), the grizzly pair, and the numerous wonderful carven statues. There's a zipline - we've never been. Also, there is a restaurant - the Observatory - that is a nice place to sit, have a bit or a glass of wine, and look down across the inlet and at the city of Vancouver spread before you. This would pair nicely with your trip to Lynn Canyon. https://www.grousemountain.com/

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 06:58 PM

In the interest of at least (maintaining improbable hope) (not "Hope") about being able to fit it all in, I would not invest the time in Whistler, and instead take the high-cost gondola up to Grouse Mountain.

At the very least, you'll have saved hours of travel time and expense. (you can take a city bus to the foot of Grouse Mountain)

Victoria, too, should be comfortable without a car. (based on your priorities for 2 days not having enough items so as to warrant leaving the city)

Seattle is fine without a car as well, provided you're staying in/near the center of town.

Old Jun 15th, 2022, 07:55 AM

Check out website "Hello BC" for information on what to do in Vancouver and Victoria. The last time I was in Vancouver- pre Covid- we used a Hop on Hop Off Trolley to get around. The downside was the sometimes the trolley was full and you had to wait for the next one.
We stayed in North Vancouver at the Lonsdale Quay. Not quite as busy as downtown and you can take a sea-bus over if you want
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. I'm going to do more research as advised and hopefully you won't mind if I ask some follow up questions.

Thanks again! W
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

HI everybody. Wanted to give everybody a summary our trip. Just came back. Spent a total of 10 nights: 3 in Vancouver; 2 in Victoria and 5 in Seattle.

Had a fantastic time. Great weather!

Flew Delta from Boston to Vancouver with a stop over in LA. And back via Delta from Seattle to Boston. No problem with any flights!

Vancouver: stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel at Canada Place. Great location. I have stayed there before for a conference and thought my wife would enjoy it, Never
rented a car. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and walked to our restaurants. First night we ate at Cactus Club. Great view of the water. Second day, we walked the Sea Wall. Absolutely beautiful scenery. Had dinner at the Steamworks Brewery in Gastown. Sat at the bar and had great crafts and delicious pizza and salad. Spent the last day visiting Stanley Park and walking through the city. At night had dinner at my favorite, Cardero's. Right on the Sea Wall. Great wild salmon!

From Vancouver we had lined up Wilson Bus per the concierge at the Fairmont Empress. We are so happy we took her advice. The tour bus picked us up right across our hotel and drove 45 minutes right onto the ferry where we were were able to get out and enjoy the deck during the hour and a half ferry ride to Victoria. Once landing in Victoria the bus took us 30 minutes right to the 'Fairmont Empress.

Victoria: The Fairmont Empress is the best of the best. Right on their inner harbor and just immaculate from service to cleanliness. Grounds are likewise immaculate with amazing flower gardens throughout. Walking distance to all attractions and restaurants. For the first night we took a walk, stopped at a pub, had some awesome craft beers and had dinner at an Irish Pub. We sat on their outside patio right opposite the window where their live band playing Irish music was. Just a wonderful night, The next day we took a 14 mile scenic walk around the ocean. Like Vancouver, it was spectacular. At night we had dinner at IL Terrazzo for some amazing Italian food and wine.

From Victoria we took the Clipper Ferry to Seattle. The ride was 2 3/4 hours and extremely pleasant. Didn't see any marine life on that trip but did see seals in Vancouver and Seattle.

In Seattle I won't bore you with all the details since we do go to Seattle often. I will say that I love the walk around Pike Place to the Cruise Ships and stopping at a few breweries. There are so many good ones in Seattle. My favorite is Old Stove right in Pike Place. Each time we go we take some great hikes as we did this time. What was different was we went to Woodinville for a hike along the river and then a wine tasting .

We had such a great time and we thank you for all your help!

Next Canadian trip is Nova Scotia, Cape Breton! Hoipefully!

W
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 08:04 AM

Thanks for reporting back. So glad you got to enjoy what the cities of Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle offer up in spades, exceptionally beautiful Pacific Northwest walks with views of mountains and sea.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by WarrenWST

Next Canadian trip is Nova Scotia, Cape Breton! Hoipefully!

W
- That's right in my wheelhouse.

(see you on the other side ??)
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Yes, i will be revisiting that site within Fodors to start planning for next summer.
Hope all is okay there after the hurricane.
Thanks, W