South Pacific Island Hopping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning an approximately 1 month trip after my college graduation island hopping around the South Pacific, and would love some people's input and advice. I am hoping to stay off of the beaten trail and begin in Tuamoto and the Marquesas and work my way west. Though suggestions on beautiful and exciting places to go are much appreciated, I am really curious about logistics. What is the best way to do this? I understand it is easiest to use Papeete as a base from which to fly in and out of, but is it possible to avoid this, and travel between islands directly by plane, or more preferably as a passenger on a boat. Any information you have on personal experience doing this or local ships/airlines to look into would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Julian
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:35 PM

You mean Tuamotu, the archipelago? Which island?

Start looking here: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/tahiti-a...ing-there-away

From: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/tahiti-a...#ixzz2lEE84g1Q :

"Outboard motorboat is the most common method of transport in the Tuamotus. Road networks are often just crushed-coral or sand tracks, perhaps a few kilometres long, linking the village to the airport or to the areas where copra is produced. Public transport usually does not exist. Ask at your hotel or pension about transport as they will usually be able to set you up with whatever you need."
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 09:19 PM

Hi,
I agree Outboard motorboat is the most common method of transport in the Tuamotus. travelling by road sometimes put in problem because of tracks stand outside.and yeah Ask at your hotel about transport.Have great time.