New South Wales help please?

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New South Wales help please?

I have the possibility of a home exchange in NSW in October 2005. What kind of weather can be expected at that time of year? I have to decide between Queensland (Towsville) in December or New South Wales (Coffs Harbour) in October. Please advise! Guide books & websites offer contradictory info.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM

October in Coffs should be glorious. Townsville in December will be very humid.

So weather wise Coffs would win but would depend on what you want to do. Each region is very different.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM

October is usually a lovely month in North Queensland as its before the summer wet and humidity. Days will be warmer than in Coffs which has some great surfing beaches and hinterland. Townsville is the largest city in North Queensland with access to Great Barrier Reef and a short ferry ride to Magnetic Island where you'll find koalas in the wild and wallabies on the beaches. October is also before the box jelly fish season begins so beach swimming is safe.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM

louanne, it's a matter of taste, but while I note Townsville's pluses, to me it's a hard sell - I found it an unlovely city, certainly no tropical paradise, and I believe that the weather in December would be disgustingly hot and humid. And it's isolated, unless you count Cairns, a 3-hour drive away - it's a l-o-n-g way to the state capital, Brisbane.

Coffs Harbour is in a beautiful part of Australia, you'd have far more liveable weather in October, and you're within striking distance of both Sydney and the Brisbane/Gold Coast region. To me it's a no-brainer.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Sorry louanne, didn't read your message proplerly. Yes, it will be a few degrees warmer in December than October around Townsville, but nowhere nearly as humid as it would be Feb/March.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM

Coffs easy. Is the place actually in coffs or one of the surrounding towns? You nwill need a car.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 11:49 PM

Louanne, ditto John's reply for Townsville. It covers a large area if you count surrounding beaches and islands. The city has really lifted its act in the last few years with a huge, new landscaped foreshore which includes 2 stinger proof swimming lagoons (necessary in December). For what its worth, its main Strand Beach was awarded 2004 "Cleanest Beach in Australia".
Neil, its more like a 5 hour drive from Townsville to Cairns - if the Bruce Highway is flooded around Tully it can take 5 days! Last time this happened was April, 2004. About two hours north of Townsville is the magnificent Hinchinbrook Island, and a bit further on Mission Beach with access to Dunk and Bedarra islands and closer to Townsville is Orpheus Island. West is the interesting and historic Charters Towers, with some lovely old buildings. Townsville's not a particularly "touristy" place as much of the population is government and military employed.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all... this is most helpful. After eading all your comments, my inclination is to do the Coffs in October exchange. I have the use of a car - any other info on what to do in Coffs besides enjoying the beauty of nature would be much appreciated. This is a great forum!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Louanne, being a Queenslander, it pains me to say this, but Coffs would be nicer. Really nice beaches, and make sure you get a car and go exploring. Lots of nice things to see, not forgetting of course the Big Pineapple!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Rewind! Rewind! - Need my first cup of coffee! When I say the Big Pineapple, I really mean the Big Banana. Duh! The Big Pineapple is nowhere NEAR Coffs. Sorry
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:58 PM

louanne

Do a search on Dorrigo, Belligen, Nambucca Heads for popular nearby towns.

Things to do apart from nature are gold panning, bananas, growers markets, bananas, Russell Crowe spotting, bananas, jazz in Belligen 1st saturday every month and bananas, wineries, history and chocolate coated bananas!!

There is a food and wine festival in October and also a bluegrass festival in Belligen but I am unsure of the exact dates and how it lines up with your dates.

I am sure you will find lots to do.

Hope you like Bananas.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Good decision....no one here will say it out loud but Townsville isnt a great tourist destination.

Coffs in october will be very nice for someone from the backblocks of quebec.

take a boat out to the solitary islands marine park.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Plenty of bananas around Townsville, too! No, its not much of a destination in itself but it does have access to some great spots. Haven't been to Coffs for a couple of years but last time I did it was wall-to-wall tourists, personally prefer nearby Nambucca Heads. Have a meal at Destiny Motel there, Nambucca oysters are exceptional and the motel serves them in about 6 different ways. As mentioned before the hinterland at Bellinger Valley and Dorrigo is lovely.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Louanne - I married a Coffs Harbour girl, so I know a little bit about the city & region. There are some nice towns, villages, beaches & drives near Coffs H'br which I can recommend, should you decide to visit that region. Just let me know, if you are getting a rental car, and what your likes or dislikes are.