New ideas for a Itinerary for Australia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the end of February of 2020 we will be completing up a 4 week tour of New Zealand finishing up un Christchruch. Since we paid the airfare from the states we were thinking of spending 2 additional weeks in Australia. Any ideas of how we can best use are time to see a portion of the country. We are not big city people, but prefer to see what's beyond the big cities and with a little adventure thrown in for good measure.

Rich
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 09:12 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
You can reach Sydney in about 3.5 hours from Christchurch.

Do you like hot weather? Most of Australia will be pretty toasty end Feb/beginning of March.

What are your interests?
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 09:35 AM

What do you have in mind? Particular interests?

It's the wet, cyclone, stinger season in the north, but pretty good in the south of the country.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 04:25 PM

It’s a good time of year for Tasmania. You could spend the whole two weeks there without getting bored as long as you hire a car. There are many beautiful areas to visit such as Cradle Mountain, the East Coast including Bay of Fires and Freycinet Peninsular, Bruny Island, the area around Port Arthur, the West Coast around Strahan and the North West Coast around Stanley.

Old Sep 15th, 2019, 11:01 PM

I stay in India, planning to visit Australia for 8-10 days next year? Any idea, how much will that cost?
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 03:55 PM

Impossible to answer
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Rcbuhre - at the end of February - mid March, I agree that Tasmania would certainly be a good choice. It’s cooler than the mainland, has a great mix of scenery & wildlife - and wonderful regional foods.

My only reservation is that the east coast, in its green beauty & architecture does somewhat resemble New Zealand (and parts of the UK). So - for something completely different - and in the more “rugged & vast” Australian vein, perhaps Victoria or South Australia? I could see a fortnight’s good meandering along the Murray River to Adelaide being an interesting trip.

Just playing with an idea here:
From Melbourne - Bendigo - Echuca (take a paddle steamer trip) - Mildura ... perhaps Renmark
(good golf course if I remember correctly) - drop down to Pinaroo - Lake Alexandrina. Stay somewhere around there. Then either go up through Murray Bridge - or stick to the Langhorne Creek road up to Strathalbyn - Victor Harbor (only place in Australia that drops the “U” in Harbour) - Cape Jarvis — up through McLaren Vale Wine region, Glenelg & into Adelaide.

Equally enjoyable - you could easily have a few days in Melbourne & then head up to Sydney along the Coast road (but you need to divert to the ocean in most places, as it mostly doesn’t traverse the coast line). Or - you could do a mix of Coast & New England Highway from Sydney to Brisbane and/ or the Sunshine Coast.

Choices, choices .... it will be hot & sometimes humid (Feb more than March in most places) - but you’ll have an air conditioned car & air conditioned accommodation. In February/March, you won’t be competing with summer school holidays & accommodation will be easier to find & often quite a bit easier on your pocket away from the capital cities then.

It’s a delicious conundrum - get your maps out & have fun plotting!

You’ll need an ETA for Australia if you don’t already have one. https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar...ustralian-maps

These are quite good maps - just flip to the State or Territory you want.

Last edited by Bokhara2; Sep 19th, 2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: https://www.australias.guide/vic/maps/Trying to post a link!
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 04:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
For the time of year and how intensely hot it can be, even as far south as here in Melbourne, I might have suggested the alpine region of southern New South Wales and eastern Victoria. It's a pretty area, country towns like Bright and Beechworth and much cooler at altitude. Of course, you will probably have just seen quite a lot of mountains in NZ and more striking ones (to my tastes). The Australian mountains in the area are closer in size to the Appalachians and woodsy. And the area is probably not too much like the red country people envision of Australia.