Search

Great Ocean Road

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2022, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Ocean Road

We (two of us) are looking at driving the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide. The internet has many recommended itineraries, and they all have different overnight stops. I'm researching the possibilities online, checking things to do, good walks, good dining, and so on; but I need advice about the last leg(s) of the journey especially - between Mount Gambier and Adelaide. It seems too far to do it all in one day (or is it?), and if I look for an approximate midway point to break the journey overnight, the choices seem to be Kingston S.E. or Bordertown or Keith. Can anyone give me a rundown on these places and the differences between them, or suggest other perhaps better possibilities? Thanks for any help...
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 06:34 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Google tells me that the most direct route from Mount Gambier to Adelaide is about 4.5 hours, 435 km. But who wants to do that?

We made this drive during a trip to South Australia many moons ago so I'm rather rusty, but I'd suggest a stop in the pretty seaside town of Robe.

Here's my trip report from our visit in 2014 - it might give you a few ideas.

So much good wine, so little time; South Australia's Limestone Coast

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 1st, 2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The coast journey should be nicer but slower than the highway between Mt Gambier and Adelaide. If you want a feel for how large the towns are that you mention, or what there is to do, try checking each town on Trip Advisor. It should tell you the number of motels, number of places to eat and what there is to do. If you can't find the town listed on TA at all, that means it's tiny.

We find the timing for travel on Google Maps to be very optimistic. It always takes us hours longer. I guess Google doesn't take into account the toilet stops, slow traffic, roadworks where the speed limit is 40km, stopping for lunch, etc etc.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you everyone. Yes, I imagine the coast road is more scenic, but will do some research on the options anyway.