Reload this Page >

Choose a destiation - Oceania Island(s) for 10 day trip

Old Jul 12th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi travelers!
I would love some destination recommendations (Oceania) for a 7-10 day island vacation I'm planning for early September.
I'm considering: Fiji, Bali, Bora Bora, Mo'orea, and open to other recs. I don't know much about how these options compare to one another.
Essentials: beautiful beaches, scenic
Would also like: surfing, diving, hiking, cultural experiences,
On previous trips I have enjoyed staying in Airbnb type places for a more "immersive experience" away from main tourist hubs. If you have knowledge around the availability of this type of accommodation on any of the islands I'm considering that would be greatly appreciated! It looks like Bali has a lot of cool exotic looking Airbnbs at very reasonable pricing...
Would be interesting to know how costs compare in these places (once there...I've already looked at airfare).
Please share any recs, stories, advice!
Cheers,
Corinne
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 06:14 PM

Fiji.
Tahiti is really expensive and a long way from anywhere unless you can get a flight from the West Coast of the States. July to September is a good time for Fiji....it's winter in the Southern Hemisphere so it won't be unbearably hot.
Bali is in Indonesia and not a Pacific island.
My adventurous friend has had a few bad experiences with Air BNB - the places looked amazing but when you actually got there well it was a different story.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 01:18 PM

This past February we did a 30 day trip stopping at the following islands, listed in order of preference:

Bora Bora
Moorea
Fiji
Tahiti,
Samoa
American Samoa

In our opinion the first 3 on the list has the best beaches. We were not impressed with Samoa or American Samoa would not go back.

Can't comment about Air BnB's as they are not our travel style.

With only 7 to 10 days I'd limit my stay to only one or two of those islands. Anything more and you'll be wasting time traveling instead of enjoying what the islands have to offer.
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 08:48 AM

Not sure if the OP is still around, or still planning, but these three destinations are pretty far apart for a 10-day trip.

Pick one. Bali is cheaper. If you live in North America, French Polynesia is closest and cheapest to get to, although expensive when you get there. At least in FP, I would say airbnb is out of the question.

No doubt you've already planned your trip.