Trip planning help Sulawesi

Old Nov 29th, 2022, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip planning help Sulawesi

Hi All. We're beginning to plan our trip to see our former exchange student who lives in Makassar, Sulawesi island. We understand that the snorkeling around Sulawesi is spectacular. of course time and money being what they are what's the group opinion about going for it and go north for snorkeling and maybe skip Bali all together? or skip the snorkeling and go to Bali? planning on going to Java. It's just a lot of traveling around which I don't like to do, but as others have noted--we're not likely to get to this part of the world again. I should say we are frequent international travelers in our late 60's. I really appreciate any info those of you on the group there can provide. of course, we may do all of it--but what's your perspective? thanks in advance~
Christy
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 02:00 AM

There is no avoiding quite a lot if you want to see Indonesia!

The snorkelling and diving in Northern Sulawesi is indeed excellent but it is a long way to go for that. My wife and I are keen divers and despite that we decided it was just too much hassle.

Our last visit to Indonesia was part of a much longer trip through Asia en route to visit our Australian family. I was all a last minute decision but we decided to fly into Makkasar spend a few days there organising stuff and the head up to Tanah Toraja which was wonderful and then return via Lake Tempe, again, a wonderful experience. You can do it yourself but it is way easier to recruit a guide and driver.

Makassar was a nice enough city , some great food but not a whole lot to see as I recall.

We eventually ended up in Bali but first we flew to Jakarta and got the train down through Java stopping at many places along the way, Mount Bromo, Mount Ijen , Borobodur etc. before getting the ferry across to Bali. We were in Java during Ramadan - avoid that time if you can! We had visited Bali many years previously and it has changed a lot and not for the better.

Some of these places we cover in detail with photos in our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/indonesia/

Old Nov 30th, 2022, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your insight. I agree Bunaken is way out of the way, but I'm pretty married to the idea of it. I may regret it! We are only going to Makassar because that's where our exchange student lives. I'll look at going to Jakarta and making our way south. and then back to Singapore . I think we'll get to Makassar during Ramadan because they have time off work!