South Korea Itinerary approval and/or help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there - If you wouldn’t mind providing some feedback for my itinerary. I already wish I had more time in Korea and wish I could swing it this trip. However, here is what I am thinking so far:

Day 1 - arrive Seoul at 3:30 pm
Day 2 - Seoul
Day 3 - Seoul
Day 4 - Seoul - could catch an evening train to Jeonju or in the morning on Day 5
Day 5 - Jeonju - arrive in the morning, early
Day 6 - Jeonju
Day 7 - Busan
Day 8 - Busan
Day 9 - Either Gyeongju OR Andong
Day 10 - Gyeongju or Andong and back to Seoul
Day 11 - Fly home

As you can see, my itinerary is tight. I will either leave on early evening trains or early morning trains for my next destination.. Would you spend your time in Gyeongju or Andong. In Andong, I’d like to see the Hahoe Folk Village, but there is one in Gyeongju as well. There is a village in Jeonju that I thought I would like to see. In Seoul, I would like to see the Bukchon Hanok village. Can I eliminate one village if I have seen one elsewhere? I am sure each is worth seeing, but I am trying not to. Overlap in my short time there.

How would you improve this itinerary?

thanks for your ideas - Cathy
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:34 PM

The Hanok 'Village' in Jeonju is ok, but neither that, nor the one in Seoul is like going to an actual village. It's a sleepy quarter of pleasant looking Hanok houses. I have not been to the ones near Gyeongju or Andong, though I did go to Nagan Stone Village, which is an actual living village, not just a museum (though it is also a tourist attraction.) But it's not on your trajectory. I would try to find one that is a living village.

My favorite place I visited in Korea was Maisan Provincial Park, easy enough to get to from Jeonju via shuttle bus, though I had a car. If the bus takes you to the Northern Entrance, then most people will hike to the park's most significant feature: a hermit erected around 90 stone pagodas around Tapsa, a small temple built at the foot of a cliff. So it is a place of both cultural and natural interest. If you can do the hike, then this is far more satisfying than anything Jeounju has to offer. If the bus takes you to the Southern Entrance, Tapsa is close by, though there are still some great hikes around the two enormous rocks that make up the park. Vendors will be selling food near Tapsa, so you can have a meal outdoors if you like.

In fact, if you are looking to cut anything out to use your time better, I would skip Jeonju if you only plan on remaining in the city.
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How would you improve this itinerary?
Skip Jeonju. From my TR:
"The next day I set out to explore the “historic” district. Since I saw at least one new hanok being built, it really wasn’t clear how much of “Hanok Maeul” was actually historic. Then many of the buildings turned out to be shops, along with some cafes and museums. In other words, a big tourist trap. ... Lonely Planet spoke well of the “narrow maze of alleys”, but since the hanoks are courtyard houses, I can’t see what’s to like about blank walls and the occasional electricity meter or trash can"

The only folk village I visited was at Andong, but I thought that was worthwhile.
Old May 10th, 2022, 12:08 AM

We had maybe 16 days in SK and didn’t make it to Jeonju as we felt we didn’t have enough time. Loved Seou, l though I did find it more challenging to navigate than just about any other Asian city I have visited and so would consider adding more time there. There is a lot to see. We did a trip to the DMZ which was both worthwhile and provided a reminder of the precarious state of the world. The Hanok village in Seoul was a pleasant place in which to wander with some terrific views but I don't recall being blown away by it. By contrast, I found Gyeongbokgung Palace breathtaking. The street and and market food in Korea was amazing, the dumpling scene was on a par with Taiwan!

Busan was nice though we had terrible weather so I wasn’t quite as impressed as I though I would be. There was more to Gyeongju that we thought and stayed an extra day there.

Some photos and detail of our time there on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/asia/south-korea/ .
Old May 10th, 2022, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

I think I will take Jeonju off my itinerary - not sure what to do with the two extra days though.
Old May 10th, 2022, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about Gyeongju and Andong?
Old May 11th, 2022, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

I am leaning towards both of these places.

Last edited by lyntay; May 11th, 2022 at 04:29 AM.
Old May 11th, 2022, 04:45 AM

Busan is a great city and has enough spectacular points of interest to keep you satisfied for months. It has mountains that drop down to the sea. It has a rare seaside temple, a rare temple built into a rock face (though this requires an uphill hike), the ruins of a fortress with sweeping views, traditional markets that go on for miles, rocky seascapes, a bustling port, unique museums, colorful neighborhoods.... it has both duck and goat villages, basically a collection of very rural places to eat those specialties. Gyoengju also has many major points of interest that you do not have time for. I *think* Andong is a living village as well as a tourist attraction, but I didn't go and I am not completely sure. It is often considered the best.

After Maisan Provincial Park I went to the Daehan Dawon Tea plantation and Nagan Stone village, both near each other, but I had a car. If you are carless, then you can arrange for a tour guide/transport for the day from Gwangju. Totally worth it.
Old May 11th, 2022, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

shelemm It sounds like you think I should add in another day in Busan as there is so much to see. That I can do since I am not going to Jeonju, where I had anticipated spending two days. Do you think I should add a fourth day to Busan, or add a third day to Gyeongju?
Old May 11th, 2022, 04:10 PM

You may be at the point where you really need to figure out what priorities you have. Gyeongju has some of the best preserved history, and Busan has big city culture and amenities combined with sprawling, dramatic nature.

Either way, In my opinion you can't be put off by needing to take a taxi sometimes to minimize the time it can take to get from Point A to B.