Search

Japan in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2020, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 47 Likes on 8 Posts
Japan in August

Hey everyone,

A friend and I were planning to travel to Japan leaving from Switzerland in July/August 2020, but are slightly concerned whether this would be a good idea because of the virus,

Do you reckon travel will be back in place during that period or will it still be closed because of the virus? As there are not many cases in Switzerland or Japan we thought it would probably be alright, but we are quite unsure...

I know we cannot know anything for sure at the moment and these would be just assumptions but we are trying to get a general idea before booking our flights and hotels.

Thank you all for your help

Last edited by Tenix; Apr 18th, 2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 02:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Shinzo Abe shut the country down ten days ago. Wait and see what happens, when airlines start adding flights, etc. Note that Japan is very hot and humid during the summer.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 03:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there a forum for fortune tellers out there, probably more useful than travelers. If we said yes, go, would you proceed with your plans based on that? I would hope not.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Shinzo Abe shut the country down ten days ago. Wait and see what happens, when airlines start adding flights, etc. Note that Japan is very hot and humid during the summer.
Thank you for the information!
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
Is there a forum for fortune tellers out there, probably more useful than travelers. If we said yes, go, would you proceed with your plans based on that? I would hope not.
Have you read my whole post? I know we cannot predict the future, but I was just intersted to see everyone's opinion!
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why?

If I tell you that I am not going anywhere for the foreseeable future, will that make you less likely to plan a trip?

If I tell you that I plan to jump on the first cruise ship that sails, will that make you more likely to go?

Will all have access to plenty of information, if we choose to look, but we all have different tolerance for risk.
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

I just wanted people's opinions on if you thought it would be possible to travel in August, that's all
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My crystal ball went on strike.
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been to Japan three times in August, and I was so happy I went each time. It is hot, but the humidity is not a problem like it is in Shanghai or Hong Kong. The sun will beat down on you, but if you can get some relief in the shade, indoors, or a cloudy sky, you'll be fine. Japanese women use a parasol if they will be exposed to the sun for a long time, but simply wearing a hat can make a big difference.

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 07:10 PM

As for what is going to happen with the virus, nobody has a clue. But a vaccine that is widely available for all is at the most optimistic, at least 12-18 months away. I would not hold your breath.

That said, July and August can be utterly awful in Japan - extremely hot and humid. Yes, the tropics are worse, but still Japan is no picnic. However, Hokkaido and northern Tohoku is wonderful. The Japan Alps can be great as well.
Old May 6th, 2020, 11:18 PM

I don’t think I’d book anything nonrefundable. July doesn’t seem far enough off. Self quarantining might be on the table even if Japan opens up.

as for the weather, unless you’re really interested in the festivals, I don’t think it’s an ideal time to go to Japan. I enjoyed that time of year, but it does limit what you want to do, and I probably wouldn’t return then unless I had no other option. Crowds, closures, heat, humidity, possible storms—all add up to unpleasant.
Old May 7th, 2020, 10:39 AM

Current info on conditions of entering Japan is here:

https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/
Old May 11th, 2020, 10:41 AM

No I would not plan a trip to Japan this July/August. The worst time imho to travel to Japan anyways because of the hot humid weather but the virus will make you also stand out as an infected traveler and not a normal tourist at this time. Stay home till this blows over like everyone else is doing.

Aloha!