Search

Best area to stay southwest Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2022, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best area to stay southwest Sri Lanka

Hi, This is my first post, sorry tittle is wrong it should be -South West Coast
We are planning a 3 week trip and looking for the best area to stay for a few days on the South West Coast. Our ideal is great snorkeling, not too busy, but still has eateries. Which area is better Unawatana - Mirrisa -Weligama-Matara- Polhena. Also if you have any suggestions for accommodation 7,000 -13,000 SLR per night that would be wonderful. We are in our late 50s on medium budget. Thanks Rhea

Last edited by rheas2857; Jan 4th, 2022 at 08:03 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by rheas2857
Hi, This is my first post, sorry tittle is wrong it should be -South West Coast
We are planning a 3 week trip and looking for the best area to stay for a few days on the South West Coast. Our ideal is great snorkeling, not too busy, but still has eateries. Which area is better Unawatana - Mirrisa -Weligama-Matara- Polhena. Also if you have any suggestions for accommodation 7,000 -13,000 SLR per night that would be wonderful. We are in our late 50s on medium budget. Thanks Rhea
Unawatuna would be better for snorkelling and some eateries etc around too. Galle fort is also closer to visit from here and offers lot of eating options.
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 09:20 AM
Forum Moderator

>>Hi, This is my first post, sorry tittle is wrong it should be -South West Coast.

Hello and welcome to Fodors. We edited your thread's title to southwest.
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 10:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Alternatively you could stay in Galle [perhaps my favourite place in Sri Lanka] and get a taxi/tuk tuk to the beach to go snorkelling.
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for input - I'll check it out
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 01:50 PM

Mirissa is a lovely beach with great surf which is not usually conducive to good snorkelling. We stayed in Weligama for around a week on our last trip there and, after seeing the main sewer from the town disgorging into the sea yards off the beach there is no way we would set foot in that water.

As for accomodation, we just got taxis and tuk tuks along the coast and stayed at any place that looked good. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. It all worked out in the end and we had a great time there.
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 01:58 AM

Hi there

if you are expecting the beach and snorkeling and diving, the best to be is Unawatuna or Mirissa. Matara polhena area is not suitable for snorkeling. If your main purpose is snorkeling 🤿 I prefer to be at Unawatuna which is the best. East coast also one of the best but, these days off season there. Sea is not clear and huge waves. This is not the best time in there.
good luck and enjoy