South Africa

Old Jul 7th, 2021, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Africa

I thinking J Burg Capetown, and Kreguer as core, but: any other idea in between welcome:

Also: Fly in to Jo-berg and Driver to CapeTown, or fly between the two?

And I 'l like to go at Dec 17 to Jan 4 or so as that when my biz slows down, but is it too zooey or ok?

I know Oct. more calm, but I have more business then too...
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 10:38 AM

I would fly between Joburg and Cape Town, or maybe fly to Cape Town from an airport closer to Kruger NP.

Cape Town is crazy busy during the Christmas - New Year period, with South Africans schools on their holiday break, and people from inland areas heading for the coast. Cape Town gets lots of domestic tourists. If you don’t mind the crowds, it’s a good time to be in CT.

You might consider reversing the order of your trip and going to Cape Town first when it’s not so busy earlier in December. Then you could fly directly to an airport near Kruger, and from there to Joburg for the flight home.
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Heimdall, thanks so much. I don't really mind the crowds, but of course prefer less, but the rub, while i'm self employed and could do any month I want; Things do slow down businesw wise from about Dec 20 to Jan 6th.. so idea, lose less calls / biz... so your opinion?

And if did 2 1/2 weeks or so give or take: you do how many days in what exact places? And then try book hotels in advance.... So you treat Captown area and one trip, and rent car, and Jobuef (Kreuger) as another trip and rent car around there?

And where does one sleep Kreuger (economically lets say..) and for how many days do Krueger/ Jo Burg..?
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 12:40 PM

I've done safaris in other countries, but not South Africa, so can't help you much with Kruger. Some people can't get enough of safaris, while other find a week to be enough. With 2½ weeks you might consider adding a driving trip along the Garden Route, or maybe going to KwaZulu-Natal where the Indian Ocean is warmer than on the Cape.

My trips to South Africa have all been to Cape Town where my son-in-law's family live. Once I flew to Joburg and took a domestic flight from there to Cape Town, but normally fly nonstop from London to CT. Don't get me wrong, Christmas - New Year is a wonderful time for Cape Town, but it does get busy. You might want to look at the other thread on this forum (South Africa - Couple of Quick Questions) where I made some suggestions about things to do around CT.

Summer is the dry season in Cape Town, so weather around Christmas is normally very good, but sometimes windy. You say you don't mind crowds, so maybe stick to your original plan. I don't think there is enough of interest between Joburg and Cape Town to justify going by road, though.

Old Jul 7th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Heimdall thanks again. What do you like in Garden Route? And what towns would you stay at: KwaZulu-Natal?
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 10:52 PM

The Garden Route goes along the southern coast more or less from Port Elizabeth (recently renamed Gqeberha) to Cape Town, and has some spectacular scenery. KwaZulu-Natal is the province around Durban. I don’t know enough about those areas to help you, so you will have to do some research elsewhere. There is a very active South Africa forum on TripAdvisor.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 12:24 AM

BTW, if you plan to travel in Dec 2021, keep an eye on the Covid situation in South Africa. Hopefully by December the situation will have improved, but right now South Africa is in level 4 restrictions where restaurants can serve only takeaways, alcoholic beverages can’t be sold or served, and some venues closed completely. Reports I’ve read indicate that safaris are still operating normally.

One news source I use is a website designed for expat South Africans. Much of the news won’t be of interest to you, but it does have Covid-19 updates:
https://www.thesouthafrican.com/
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

H, thanks so much, darn. I was just getting a good itinerary together, and BAm, I though about that, but was kind of assuming will so many with full vaccinations, now, everything is kind of normal as in US now.

That being said, my buddy I'm traveling with would not probably like not being able to enjoy traveling in a place where the restaurant situation is so abnormal/ restricted.

This is case right now? And then in Dec, who knows?
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 11:27 PM

This is case right now? And then in Dec, who knows?”

Exactly! My US - British - South African family always try to spend Christmas together either in Cape Town or Britain. Last year we missed the holiday gathering, and our fingers are crossed for this year.

People from the US are still travelling to South Africa and having a great time on safaris, and South Africa certainly needs the income from tourism. Safari lodges are open, taking their guests on game drives, and serving food to their guests. Looking at the posts on the TripAdvisor South Africa forum it appears visitors are still enjoying themselves.

Fully vaccinated travellers are probably safe enough, but current statistics I’m looking at show only 6.5% of South Africans have received one dose, and a tiny 0.8% are fully vaccinated. Because of this low vaccination rate restrictions are imposed to protect the citizens.

Old Jul 9th, 2021, 01:22 AM

Usually the most severe restrictions are lifted after a few weeks, and December is a long time from now. I can’t imagine restaurants still being closed except for takeaways during the holiday season, so don’t pull the plug on your trip just yet.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Heim thanks, only doing few days Krueger, most normal towns/ cities. NO interest in being there in take out only lock down environment

CDC s. africa, google it forum wont let me post the link. can post screenshot here?

Saying don't go, and might even get spread it; imagine then being quarantined, nightmare. What think? Based on these links? Maybe just wait year? Only going there probably once, maybe twice

Old Jul 9th, 2021, 08:57 AM

Kevs1, to post a link you have to click the little chain link icon on the top of the reply box. You will get a pop up where you can paste the link. Is this the CDC page?
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...s-south-africa
The CDC is only advising to avoid travel to South Africa, and lots of Americans are ignoring that advice. I travel on a US passport myself, but can’t go to South Africa from where I live because it is a red list country from the UK. Anyone returning to the UK from a red list country has to spend 10 days in a quarantine hotel at their own expense.

i don’t know what to suggest you do. I doubt South Africa will still be at level 4 in December, and you might want to hold off a bit longer before making a decision. South Africa will still be there next year, and your trip would certainly be more enjoyable with hopefully fewer restrictions by then.

You might want to browse through some of the threads on the other forum. One in particular “Heading home - review of trip with level 4 restrictions” might have some answers to your questions.

Old Jul 12th, 2021, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

PS Heimdall thanks, btw on link issue. I just posted in another area and got the not allowed to post links.

There were 6 one word links, that Forders puts in.. for flights, one country name. Maddening and tips on that?
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 03:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Kevs1, to post a link you have to click the little chain link icon on the top of the reply box"

I've never used the chain link icon. (in fact I've never even noticed it was there ) I simply copy/paste the url in to my post.
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Let me try again: I don't want to post a link. Forder Forum is creating multiple unwanted one word links (keyword based)
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 11:54 PM

Janisj wrote:

I've never used the chain link icon. (in fact I've never even noticed it was there ) I simply copy/paste the url in to my post.”

That’s what I used to do in the old Fodor’s format, and everywhere else for that matter. For some reason when I do that on the new Fodor’s the links don’t always appear, so started pasting into the chain link icon, which seems to be there for that purpose. IMO the new Fodor’s is over complicated. I don’t even know what most of the icons in the toolbar are for, and have no desire to learn.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Heimdall thanks.

I don't want to post a link. Forder Forum is creating multiple unwanted one word links (keyword based) and says can't post as have links!
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 10:32 AM

I read that before, kevs1, but don’t know how to help you. Perhaps you should ask for help in the Fodor’s Technical Forum, and hopefully a moderator will come to your aid.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks do you have a link to that?
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 11:05 PM

You are on the Africa & Middle East Forum. If you go back to the Fodor’s main page click on Forums Help, or on each individual forum is a drop down called Change Forum with a list of all the forums. It’s best to learn how to navigate through Fodor’s yourself, but the link you asked for is:
https://www.fodors.com/community/for...nical-support/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -