Namibia

Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Namibia

I am tacking on six days in Namibia at the end of a 10 day safari, split between Botswana and Zambia. I'm flying in/out of Windhoek and am looking for suggestions of two other locations to visit that are unique to Namibia. I can never see enough wildlife, but this will be my fourth safari so I am fine doing something completely different for this portion of my trip. It will be mid August and I will be traveling alone for this part of my travels. I will fly between stops to be able to spend more time in each of the spots I visit, and I am looking for mid range accomodations as the prior week and a half will be higher end and therefore pricey! Namibia has been on my bucket list for a while so I want to make sure that I hit the highlights in the short amount of time that I will have there. I have been a long time reader of the Fodor's forums but this is my first post...help an old lady out! Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 06:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
First, I'd check with your safari planner and see what they might suggest that would work with your existing itinerary. Second, I'd go to safaritalk.net where there is a lot more activity than here with people doing so many safaris your head will spin. You can either read trip reports there or ask the same question there in their Trip Planning forum.
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 09:28 AM

You don't say what time of year you are going, and that matters, but there are fantastic deserts in Nambia as well as cultural visits which are best in dry seasons.

We highly enjoyed Sossusvlei (which was the most touristed of the three places we visited), Kunene (we went to Serra Cafema which was wonderfully remote, offered great river and dune activities as visits to Himba villages) and most of all, Hoanib/Skeleton Coast. We met others at Hoanib who had been to Damaraland which they said they enjoyed offered similar experiences. There are more camps in Skeleton Coast now that when we went in 2017. This was a flying trip, not a self-drive trip, although a few people did combine driving and flying. Note, we still saw a good deal of interesting wildlife, including the famous desert lions, plus elephants, giraffe, cheetah and the normal desert species.

We did not go to the main wildlife area (Etosha), as reports of crowds put us off. Especially if you are going to the other countries you named, I'd recommend skipping that.

Anyway, we really enjoyed the desert landscapes, people and solitude of Namibia, and it's one place after four safari trips we think of returning to. Best of luck.

Old Nov 6th, 2022, 02:53 AM

The OP wrote: “it will be mid August…”

My daughter and SIL spent over a month in Namibia and that was the favourite part of their overland trip from Cairo to Cape Town. They had their own Land Rover Defender, so were able to see parts of Namibia you won’t be able to visit, but enjoyed the sand dunes on the Skeleton Coast, a visit by special permit to a village of the Himba tribe, Kolmanskop, the abandoned diamond town, Van Zyl’s Pass, which is sort of the Mt Everest of 4WD enthusiasts, and more.

Probably you should put Etosha NP at the top of your list and see what else you can arrange from Windhoek.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I had typed out an earlier response to your questions and suggestions but seem to have lost it along the way. My safari planner recommended 2 nights at Kulala Desert Lodge in Sossuslvei and 2 nights at Camp Kipwe in Twyfelfontein. I will spend the night I arrive at The Weinberg in Windhoek and have 2 other nights I could spend elsewhere. I am not interested in going to Etosha as I don't want to be around crowds and will be coming from 10 days of safaris in Botswana and Zambia, so although any wildlife sightings will be a bonus, my main objective is to see places unique to Namibia. Any suggestions you have for a third destination would be appreciated as would thoughts on these two spots that have been suggested to me. Nothing is booked yet so I am open to anything!