Search

Madikwe vs. Kruger area

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madikwe vs. Kruger area

Is there anyone who has spent time in both Madikwe Game Reserve and in or around Kruger National Park and can compare and contrast them?
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM

I have spent a lot of time in both areas and Madikwe is a very special reserve with a very special history, such as the wild dog reintroduction program etc, Kruger is the second oldest game reserve in South Africa so it and all the private lodges around it are far older and more established, the main reason for doing madikwe versus kruger would obviously be that madikwe s non malaria and the driving time is not as far as Kruger from Johannesburg, but Kruger still holds a very special magic!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else out there able to chime in? I'm planning a trip and would really appreciate your collective guidance on this. Thanks.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Debbi, for your post. One more try for any others out there. I am hearing wonderful things about Madikwe. However, there are many more posts about Kruger area. I understand that may be because Madikwe is newer, but I want to be sure that I would not be sacrificing game viewing by choosing Madikwe over Kruger. Any thoughts from those who have spent time in both?
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 06:16 PM

mtea,

If you haven't already done so, do a search for "Jaci" as in Jaci's Safari/Tree Lodge, possibly the most popular lodge in Madikwe. Also try a search for "Madikwe" and you should be able to pop up a few more posts from the database.

Where are you considering staying?

I am strongly considering a stay at Madikwe Hills. (www.madikwehills.com)

There are other places that look great, as well, but I do think that despite its big pricetag, Madikwe Hills prices nicely against similar type lodges in Kruger/Sabi Sand (Singita, Londolozi, Royal Malewane).

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:04 PM

Here is some nice info about Madikwe:

(Click on links for pictures, but I am copying and pasting all the text)

http://www.game-reserve.com/south-africa_madikwe.html

This reserve created in 1991, sits right on the South Africa-Botswana border in a malaria-free area. In the largest movement of animals since Noah filled his arc, the 30,352 acre (75,000 ha) reserve was stocked with 10,000 head of game from 27 different species. The park's very existence contributes to the preservation of local fauna and flora and rare animals such as rhino and wild dog, and also provides a more sustainable environment for the local people.

ANIMALS & BIRDS

Not only does this reserve boast the 'Big Five' but it also has the 'Super 7'! This adds cheetah and wild dog to the traditional five; leopard, lion, buffalo, elephant and rhino. Plus brown hyena, sable, eland, gemsbok, giraffe and large herds of plains game and plenty of birds.
Wild dogs are a speciality of the area and due to their rarity and fascinating behaviour, are a wonderful sight. They are also known as Cape hunting dogs or painted dogs because of their tricoloured (black, white and tan) abstract coat. Wild Dogs are Africa's most formidable hunters (followed by hyena and lion), and the essence of their successful social system is co-operative hunting and food sharing. Not only do they regurgitate food for the young but the babysitter gets fed too. They travel great distances while hunting and as a result often traverse farmland where they were almost shot to extinction. Luckily they are thriving in Madikwe.

SEASONS

Rainy Season: it rains from October to April with the highest rainfall expected between November and February. Daytime temperatures are hot and humid with an average of 88?F (31?C).
Dry Season: the winter months of May to September are dry and cold with evening temperatures as low as 35.5?F (2?C) and only 72?F (22?C) in the daytime.

MADIKWE GAME RESERVE SPECIALITIES

? 'Super 7' big game animals
? Rare and endangered wild dog
? Few other tourist around
? Small number of select lodges

FACTS

Madikwe is 3?-4 hour's drive from Johannesburg or 45 minutes by aircraft.
This is not a malarial area.

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Here is another fine looking lodge that I just discovered in Madikwe.

http://www.royalmadikwe.co.za/leisure.html

I have no idea if this is related to the Royal Malewane, but I would guess not, since there is no link to the Royal Malewane or the RM's sister properties, La Residence and Birkenhead House.

No rates are posted on the website, but I will report back once I get a quotation from the lodge.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:44 PM

Here is an excellent website full of Madikwe info including each (and every?) game lodge in Madikwe:

http://www.madikwesafaris.co.za/
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 05:49 AM

I know this is an old thread but I was curious if anybody has any new insight with this? I am thinking of splitting between the two but it does add travel times etc.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 06:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's been some years but we visited both the Kruger area and Madikwe - a few times in Kruger NP and/or a couple of the adjoining private reserves like Balule and Sabi Sand, and twice at Madikwe, staying both times at the Buffalo Ridge lodge. Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge in the Madikwe Game Reserve

We found Madikwe and Buffalo Ridge to be terrific experiences, enhanced somewhat by the fact that Buffalo Ridge is community-owned, which we saw as a plus in this fairly depressed part of SA.

The landscapes are somewhat different; Madikwe is considerably more arid than the lowveld zones of Kruger, so the wildlife seems to tend more to species that prefer that environment, e.g. wild dogs vs. leopards. But there's no shortage of wildlife and the Madikwe landscapes are always compelling.

One thing to note (if it's of interest) is that Madikwe is not in a malaria zone, so if you're going in mosquito season you probably won't need malaria prophylaxis, which some people prefer for visits to the Kruger area, particularly in summer.

In terms of access, we always drove our rental car to both areas, usually from Joburg. The drive to Madikwe is considerably shorter than to the Kruger area.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 06:19 AM

Gardyloo - You re always such a huge help on these forums. Since I see you mention Balule, I am considering there as well. Trying to keep some costs down - Sabi Sands lodges are very expensive! Also considering KwaZulu-Natal to split with Kruger if you have any input there. I was looking at Buffalo Ridge, on your recommendation on a previous thread. This is our first time to Africa so we want to try and get a good safari experience!

We are going in July so that is not the height of malaria and would not play into our decision anyway because we will take the medicine if need be.