Search

Flying from Johannesburg to US test question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Flying from Johannesburg to US test question

Our S. Africa tip is finally taking place Sept.’22

Originally set for April ‘20- rebooked for April ‘21- rebooked for April ‘22- rebooked for Sept. ‘22
We had insurance but it did not cover epidemics so if we don’t go we are out a bundle

They tell us now that no testing is required to get into Africa but a negative Covid test would be required to return to the US.
Here is my question….
If we test positive and can’t fly, how long do you have to stay in Africa? Also, what will accommodations be like for that stay in Johannesburg? Has anyone encountered such a stay? I can’t imagine the 2 of us getting stuck there alone while the rest of the group goes home.

We are really on the fence about actually going or just chalking it up to bad planning and considering the money as a donation to the tour company, hah!

Any comment will be helpful in our decision.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the tour company not have answers for your questions? One would hope they help line up your test before departure, and also don't just leave you on your own to find a quarantine lodging.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 03:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Things can change 10 times between now and Sept. There is a good chance the requirement of a negative test to return to the US could be dropped by then . . . or not.

If one does catch covid while out of the country -- currently one has to get a Letter of Recovery which will clear you to travel even if you still test positive, from a local doctor, public health official (or sometimes even from one's own primary care provider via e-mail) -- in general the letter can be issued 10 days after onset of symptoms and a positive test... But all that could easily change more than once between now and Sept..

As of now one would have to self isolate for the 10-ish days -- but that isn't in a 'quarantine hotel' but in a place of your own choice - on your own dime. There are some travel insurance policies that will cover some or all of those expenses.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many unanswered questions, including can your safari agency set up rapid proctored testing for you at the last safari lodging? Does your agency have a suggested place for you to self-isolate for 7 days (not 10) if necessary? I would be a lot happier isolating at a reserve lodge or even an AirBnB in Cape Town, rather than at an airport hotel in Johannesberg. (At least hotels there are inexpensive). How will you get back to the international airport from safari --charter flight, bus, van or private car?

Will they assist you in procurring a recovery certificate? Are they in charge of your flight arrangements and can they rebook them for you (not the same as cancelling the trip). Does your insurance cover your expenses for trip interruption if you can't return home due to illness (COVID). As opposed to "I just don't want to go because I'm worried". Many people are flying to other countries for part of the 10-day recovery period. So could you fly into the UK instead, and then fly home from London at 10 days?

These are things that are particular to your trip and your safari agent and can't really be answered here.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 9th, 2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 07:40 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The US will drop the requirement for a negative test for international air travelers entering the US on 12 June 2022. The suspension is initially for 90 days, so don't take it as a done deal just yet.

U.S. to drop COVID testing for incoming international air travelers | Reuters
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Great to hear.

As far as our Africa trip goes 90 days from June12th will put us in the middle of our trip. I guess we have to keep our fingers crossed that they extend it.